MAGA rioters storm the Senate

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: MAGA rioters storm the Senate

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:21 am You need to learn how to discuss and contemplate other people's problems without bringing up your problems as a Gotcha. It's part of being a decent human in a functioning society.
I think he does it just for attention at this point.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:21 am You need to learn how to discuss and contemplate other people's problems without bringing up your problems as a Gotcha. It's part of being a decent human in a functioning society.
But you won't do that for me.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:26 am
Even if he did would you not try to act like he in the wrong for it.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:30 am
Even if he did would you not try to act like he in the wrong for it.
Depends on what he says. And again, even before George Floyd was killed, I talked to a person of color and that conversation opened my eyes but the murderous rhetoric of BLM keeps me in the middle.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Hey your the one that brought it up. Your the one with pointless thetoric.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

I thought leftists called the kind of thing he's bringing up "lived experience," and think that it ought to carry some weight - even moreso than actual facts or statistics.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Oh, I do that a lot, actually.

I'm not talking about your problems here because this thread isn't about your problems, it's about a high-stakes violent death cult threatening the entire nation, which is basically a problem for all of us. How would you like it if I shut down every single complaint with fears about the crime on my block and insisted that other people comfort me and stop the seven or so jerks who shot at each other a couple weeks ago before even addressing any other remotely related topic of politics or debate? And that's something that actually happened in my yiffing life, not some vague hypothetical.

You are summed up with that Bird Rights Activist quote
I am uncomfortable when we are not about me
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Anyway, in non-coup apologia matters.

https://twitter.com/aoc/status/1348042526557663235?s=21

This is deeply encouraging and I hope this is the attitude that takes root. This is already shaping up to be a 9/11-like event in terms of national psychic damage, and a genuine fear many have is that some monstrosity like the Patriot Act could come of it.
That voices in government are instead calling for investigating institutional rot and enforcing existing laws on right-wing domestic groups instead is much closer to what is needed in this instance.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:54 am
Oh, I do that a lot, actually.

I'm not talking about your problems here because this thread isn't about your problems, it's about a high-stakes violent death cult threatening the entire nation, which is basically a problem for all of us. How would you like it if I shut down every single complaint with fears about the crime on my block and insisted that other people comfort me and stop the seven or so jerks who shot at each other a couple weeks ago before even addressing any other remotely related topic of politics or debate? And that's something that actually happened in my yiffing life, not some vague hypothetical.

You are summed up with that Bird Rights Activist quote
I am uncomfortable when we are not about me
True dat.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Hey.

I'd like to take the time to... well, I want to apologize. I feel like I've been way too harsh in sneering on leftists, and I do think it got a bit out of hand, at least on my end.

Maybe this thing affected me more than I realize, or maybe it's just been a very stressful election year. I've seen people in my own circles defending this insane charge on the capital, or doubling down on their war on cops, but I think the worst part was hearing my eight-year-old niece just spit the words that "the cops are dirty thugs and all deserve to die" not long after this, because they should have stopped it. Shocked the H out of me, turns out she heard it from her friend and her friend's mom, so that I took the time to turn on my uncle's police scanner and told her the daily rigors of how hard the police have it. The good they do, and the bad. I hope I made my point. Time will tell.

Does that mean police outreach is okay? H, no! And should we blindly trust law enforcement officials? No. But I also deep down really find it appalling that we as a society are inching closer to the time where calling the police to solve some crime is going to be controversial, all because the media gets great ratings off the drama... trust me, that's not far off on the horizon. Like the time I had to call the cops on a next-door neighbor that was beating up some poor woman, and they handled it professionally. He was very drunk and spent the night in a holding cell. When that day comes, I'll be guilted for calling 911 to save that girl. And if people are already too scared to call law enforcement, it's probably why crime is on the rise in some places and isn't being stopped.

Sigh... still, that's no excuse for poor behavior. I think I'll be taking some time off the internet. Especially since I've feeling a bit under the weather lately. Hope I don't have COVID! :(

And I'm sorry for my words.