The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:58 am What I want to know is: why is Putin even bothering to have an election? Are the Russian people just that dumb? Is Putin dumb enough to think that anyone believes it?
The same sort of reason he keeps repeating the transparent BS invasion reasons. Self-justificiation and pretend legimitimacy. It looks laughable to the rest of the world but regimes like that disappear so firmly up their rear end that they end up believing the nonsense they spout.

And I suppose sometimes it's probably just less hassle to go through with the sham, they sometimes still have to vaguely follow some faux legal process, even for them it can take a bit of time to change it to what they want so to fake it is just simpler. I suppose you could ask why any cheat cheats even when everyone sees them do it, it's just on a much larger, more dangerous and disturbing scale.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Don't make the mistake of thinking that all Russians are marching in lockstep behind Putin. They're not.

People being arrested for not voting as intended, setting fires or puring ink into ballot-boxes

Noon against Putin The main event of the presidential elections is a large-scale opposition rally. Online "Jellyfish"

Though still not enough to get that guy killed.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:52 pm Don't make the mistake of thinking that all Russians are marching in lockstep behind Putin. They're not.

People being arrested for not voting as intended, setting fires or puring ink into ballot-boxes

Noon against Putin The main event of the presidential elections is a large-scale opposition rally. Online "Jellyfish"

Though still not enough to get that guy killed.
I certainly don't think they are, but it doesn't make much difference in the end, the outcome of the election was decided long before it started anyway.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Riedquat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:37 pmI certainly don't think they are, but it doesn't make much difference in the end, the outcome of the election was decided long before it started anyway.
That's not the point I was making. The point was, that there is dissent in Russia.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Don't underestimate the power of pretense.

A pretense of a democracy means more than the reality of a tyranny.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Russian pressure continues despite mounting loses.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ho ... ae61&ei=66

Ukraine is finding it harder to hold the lines now that they are losing military aid from the USA.

Given the loses the Russian military has sustained, even if Ukraine collapsed tomorrow, could Putin claim anything besides a Pyrrhic victory?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

phantom000 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:32 pm Given the loses the Russian military has sustained, even if Ukraine collapsed tomorrow, could Putin claim anything besides a Pyrrhic victory?
I dunno, he just held an election that was clearly bullshit. He'd probably would say he utterly demolished them.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

The massacre carried out by ISIL strikes me as part of a larger realization of Russia's weakness, sadly.
tyrteg
Officer

Post by tyrteg »

TGLS wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:36 pm
phantom000 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:32 pm Given the loses the Russian military has sustained, even if Ukraine collapsed tomorrow, could Putin claim anything besides a Pyrrhic victory?
I dunno, he just held an election that was clearly bullshit. He'd probably would say he utterly demolished them.
He can say whatever he wants. It won't change the damage their oil infrastructure already sustained or the horrible state of their arms exports which were one of their major industry bringing in foreign cash to Russia. Of course Pyrrhic victory for Russia as a country and the worsening poverty of their people doesn't mean it won't be a success for Putin. Both in curbstomping any dissent and securing his position as the only hope for Russians to get a "glorious" future.
As always the Aussie PowerPoint Man sums it up perfectly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdap15tWnfI