The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
phantom000
Captain

The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by phantom000 »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/russia-ukr ... ce-orders/

I might be paranoid but this has me a little worked up because I can't help but wonder, is this when it's finally going to happen?
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: The Ukrainian Crisis of 2022

Post by Madner Kami »

Not quite yet. Those orders are basically the "Get Ready, Set, ..." before the starting shot. I'd suggest to not call it the "Ukrainian Crisis", but rather frame it correctly as "Russian Annexation of Ukraine".

So far everything that the US intel presented as would happen, has happened. Last week was the earliest starting date with a good chance to it being delayed for China's Olympia, with the latest starting date being this week and with the hurricane slowly dying down, this week is golden for Russia, as they absolutely need their air superiority to make things easy for them. If there's no invasion by the end of the week, it will not happen until summer at least (if at all), because the onset of spring will bring a lot of sticky mud along with it and that's one of the last things Russia needs for their intended quick advance.

What's funny is, that China actually withdrew any backing from the russian actions at the security meeting in Munich last week, emphasizing Ukraine's right for sovereignty, so Russia would be truely standing alone if they pull through now (until that point, China would have been Russia's backdoor to world-trade, if the West sanctioned Russia heavily). It wouldn't save Ukraine, but it would set Russia to an ultimate and terminal spiral of economic self-destruction if China remains true to their word (with the EU and the West in general cutting deep in it's own flesh with the upcoming sanctions if Russia should invade, which I guess is the actual goal of China in this game, as it weakens, if not outright eliminates it's primary rivals).
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

A recession and possible war with Russia am I the only one thinking we are going back to the 80s if not further?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Welp, this is less than ideal. .-.

But hey, at least it's Capitalist Russia invading, not nasty Communist Russia. 9_9 So much better, amiright?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Hasn't this been an ongoing issue for Ukraine for some decades now?
Power laces... alright.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:43 am But hey, at least it's Capitalist Russia invading, not nasty Communist Russia. 9_9 So much better, amiright?
Well at least we can sanction "capitalist Russia".
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

All I know is if the US military reactivates my old fat ass, then it all went down hill.

I would suggest moving to Brazil or something.
I got nothing to say here.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:39 am All I know is if the US military reactivates my old fat ass, then it all went down hill.

I think with that it depends on several things such as age, how long ago you were discharged, and depends if a disability is involved otherwise they would have tried to reactivate my sixy-year-old disabled mother.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

sayla0079 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:12 pm
McAvoy wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:39 am All I know is if the US military reactivates my old fat ass, then it all went down hill.

I think with that it depends on several things such as age, how long ago you were discharged, and depends if a disability is involved otherwise they would have tried to reactivate my sixy-year-old disabled mother.
Have you ever thought that maybe they should reactivate her?
Power laces... alright.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Russian troops have entered Ukraine, at least the parts under Separatist control.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2 ... deos-maps/

President Biden is increasing sanctions on Russia.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-b ... d=83041555