The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Riedquat »

Let's be honest, something like this was pretty inevitable. It makes me wonder why Prigozhin backed out in the first place, because he surely realised anything other than success was suicide.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

This was no surprise.

Any deal made with Putin would never have been honored and we see it wasn't.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

clearspira wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:47 pm BREAKING NEWS, this one is big.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66599733

Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin has been killed in a plane crash. And if there is anyone here who thinks that this is an accident I have some magic beans to sell you. If the remnants of Wagner loyal to him react badly we are talking insurrection here.
Shocked it didn't happen sooner. Also shocked the guy didn't stay on the ground.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

It wasn't just a plane-crash. The plane was very specifically shot down by russian air defence.
Riedquat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:58 pm Let's be honest, something like this was pretty inevitable. It makes me wonder why Prigozhin backed out in the first place, because he surely realised anything other than success was suicide.
Prigoshin realized, that Putin wouldn't let Shoigu fall as long as Shoigu remains loyal and useful to him. Prigoshin also realized, that he didn't have anyone's backing and if he had continued his march, he would've had to depose and replace Putin and that's not what he intended and things just got a bit too far beyond his control.
But there's a funny fact. Note how I said, Prigoshin realized he had noone's backing? Well, neither did Putin. The Army didn't react. Rosguardia half-arsed Moscow's defence. The people in the cities Prigoshin "occupied" or just drove through, did nothing, just doing their daily routine and in some cases even celebrating the Wagernites and local police just stayed at home...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:36 pm It wasn't just a plane-crash. The plane was very specifically shot down by russian air defence.
Riedquat wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:58 pm Let's be honest, something like this was pretty inevitable. It makes me wonder why Prigozhin backed out in the first place, because he surely realised anything other than success was suicide.
Prigoshin realized, that Putin wouldn't let Shoigu fall as long as Shoigu remains loyal and useful to him. Prigoshin also realized, that he didn't have anyone's backing and if he had continued his march, he would've had to depose and replace Putin and that's not what he intended and things just got a bit too far beyond his control.
But there's a funny fact. Note how I said, Prigoshin realized he had noone's backing? Well, neither did Putin. The Army didn't react. Rosguardia half-arsed Moscow's defence. The people in the cities Prigoshin "occupied" or just drove through, did nothing, just doing their daily routine and in some cases even celebrating the Wagernites and local police just stayed at home...
I think in the end he called it off because he realized that if he pressed the issue it could lead to a Russian Civil War and perhaps he was too much of a Russian patriot, Putin or not, to let that happen.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

m4a2000 wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:14 pm
clearspira wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:47 pm BREAKING NEWS, this one is big.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66599733

Wagner chief Yevgeny Prigozhin has been killed in a plane crash. And if there is anyone here who thinks that this is an accident I have some magic beans to sell you. If the remnants of Wagner loyal to him react badly we are talking insurrection here.
Shocked it didn't happen sooner. Also shocked the guy didn't stay on the ground.
Me too. If I was him, I would have stayed on the ground at all times and while it is still possible to be suicided by a absolutely inoccent, in no way suspicious car bombing, it is far harder.
I got nothing to say here.
Frustration
Captain

Post by Frustration »

Perhaps Putin managed to get his hands on some of Prigozhin's loved ones?
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two equals four. If that is granted, all else follows." -- George Orwell, 1984
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

With Israel invading Gaza Ukraine and Russia seem to have taken a backseat in the media, or maybe the algorithms think I'd be more interested in the middle east.

Russia steps up its aerial barrage of Ukraine as Kyiv officials brace for attacks on infrastructure

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ru ... 7d8a1&ei=8

It looks like the ground war has paused as both sides focus on preparing for winter while using drone and artillery strikes to wear down the enemy.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67424672.amp
Ukraine gain foothold on bank of river.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Surprised no one commented on the ultimate idiot wimp himself trying to claim that the west is bullying Putin as he is pretty much admitting he's a Russian spy, which everyone knew he was.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tuc ... p_catchall
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.