The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Hey I thought until Hitler started to attack Russia they were on good terms with each other.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:14 pm Quite honestly I find that that sounds like making excuses - all you're really saying is that the lazy demonisation of the "enemy" has been going on for a long time. Remember Putin's using this nonsense to try to justify himself to the rest of the world as well as Russians.
..What Madner is saying??

This was his post that you quoted:
Madner Kami wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:59 am
The interview was (as expected) just a regurgitation of all the usual russian lies and alternative historical interpretation:
... Then he referred to "the denazification of Ukraine," as a Russian agenda. No western or conditionally universal conception of the term is going to change what they're talking about. And they're not talking about Ukraine targeting the Jewish population.
Power laces... alright.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:15 pm Hey I thought until Hitler started to attack Russia they were on good terms with each other.
They're both far right regimes. Trump has talked about what a revered figure Kim Jong Un is and never talks about the country as a fascistic regime, but nobody confuses what he's saying as a development of western diplomacy. If N Korea actually attacked S Korea then he would be the first one to send cruise missiles to their operation sites.
Power laces... alright.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:45 am
Riedquat wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:14 pm Quite honestly I find that that sounds like making excuses - all you're really saying is that the lazy demonisation of the "enemy" has been going on for a long time. Remember Putin's using this nonsense to try to justify himself to the rest of the world as well as Russians.

The interview was (as expected) just a regurgitation of all the usual russian lies and alternative historical interpretation:
... Then he referred to "the denazification of Ukraine," as a Russian agenda. No western or conditionally universal conception of the term is going to change what they're talking about. And they're not talking about Ukraine targeting the Jewish population.
I don't get what your point is.

"Nazism" has one meaning alone. It's not a "western" or "conditionally universal conception." If you start bandying the term around as merely "anti-us" to the point where you believe that's what it means then all that's happened is you've fallen for your own BS, and made yourself look stupid to everyone else. Well apart from some posters on here it seems.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Pretty sure they were just pointing out that Putin was doing exactly that and misusing the term on purpose.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Riedquat wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:40 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:45 am

I don't get what your point is.
That Madner’s explicitly not advocating for an ulterior meaning of the term as you’re suggesting.
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

What I want to know is: why is Putin even bothering to have an election? Are the Russian people just that dumb? Is Putin dumb enough to think that anyone believes it?
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:58 am What I want to know is: why is Putin even bothering to have an election? Are the Russian people just that dumb? Is Putin dumb enough to think that anyone believes it?
You can probably find a pretty suitable host of answers by googling your post in discriminant manner.

There's two things that just come to the top of my head for consideration:

Why does N Korea have parades honoring the Kim's if it doesn't matter?

Having election is at the least a cursory method of finding out how the economically essential public is reacting to your regime.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:58 am What I want to know is: why is Putin even bothering to have an election? Are the Russian people just that dumb? Is Putin dumb enough to think that anyone believes it?
Saddam Hussein did.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

It all a song and dance then?