Disney+ to double it’s prices.

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Disney+ to double it’s prices.

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/10/media/di ... index.html

Kind of a slow week for this sub forum but I’m curious what everyone thinks about this with regard to the streaming market.

I feel like Netflix still has a big tail wind in that market, though Disney packs quite a punch with their breadth of content.
Power laces... alright.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Disney+ to double it’s prices.

Post by hammerofglass »

I think it's actually cheaper just to buy physical discs of everything at this point.

Not that half the stuff on streaming gets a physical release, naturally...
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Streaming's in danger of imploding, too little people want spread over too many services for the prices being asked for.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:48 pm I think it's actually cheaper just to buy physical discs of everything at this point.

Yeah actually now that you mention it… that is the gem that streaming services have to offer.
Power laces... alright.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

hammerofglass wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:48 pm I think it's actually cheaper just to buy physical discs of everything at this point.

I've still got a nice big shelf of DVDs. Never stopped buying them as I have never trusted streaming and you can pick them up for next to nothing.

You're right though. New stuff doesn't really get released. But you can certainly secure your access to anything from a few years ago.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Streaming as a business model is deeply flawed.

Lets say that you pay £10 a month for the service. That £10 is the only guaranteed revenue that everything on that platform will ever receive. Every film, show, the server costs. All determined by how many people are giving you £10 a month. After that, the costs come out of the company itself, or in other words, it is operating at a loss.

With cinema however, you are getting money PER FILM. And you have access to significantly more people. And you can make more money off the back of DVD sales. That is why the likes of Tom Cruise battled so fiercely to keep Mission Impossible and Top Gun off Day 1 streaming... and why Scarlet Johansson sued. The money simply is not there.

Streaming made sense during Covid when the cinemas were shut i'll give it that. But it was also a self-inflicted wound because streaming has helped cause significant damage to cinemas - a far superior revenue stream. Ironic then that the strikes will further hamper the cinemas and make streaming the only game in town.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

clearspira wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:16 pm Streaming as a business model is deeply flawed.

Lets say that you pay £10 a month for the service. That £10 is the only guaranteed revenue that everything on that platform will ever receive. Every film, show, the server costs. All determined by how many people are giving you £10 a month. After that, the costs come out of the company itself, or in other words, it is operating at a loss.

With cinema however, you are getting money PER FILM. And you have access to significantly more people. And you can make more money off the back of DVD sales. That is why the likes of Tom Cruise battled so fiercely to keep Mission Impossible and Top Gun off Day 1 streaming... and why Scarlet Johansson sued. The money simply is not there.

Streaming made sense during Covid when the cinemas were shut i'll give it that. But it was also a self-inflicted wound because streaming has helped cause significant damage to cinemas - a far superior revenue stream. Ironic then that the strikes will further hamper the cinemas and make streaming the only game in town.
Kinda, but the streaming models depend on new shows. The hot shows are what draw in the subscribers, so it's technically not totally distinct from ether subscription or move exhibition.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Its bullshit.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:18 am
clearspira wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:16 pm Streaming as a business model is deeply flawed.

Kinda, but the streaming models depend on new shows. The hot shows are what draw in the subscribers, so it's technically not totally distinct from ether subscription or move exhibition.
OTOH if they didn't spend billions of dollars on new exclusive content they'd be making a profit.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Just going to quote myself from earlier:

"Seriously, all they need is their complete back catalogs, their new releases on a short delay, and MAYBE a few originals. Until cable is ACTUALLY dead (and it isn't, just look at stuff like Yellowstone), it's too early to fully pivot to streaming. And even THEN, the Big Five OTA networks will likely NEVER fully die. Radio hasn't, yet."

I'm starting to miss the Hulu/Netflix/Amazon Instant Video days...