Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by clearspira »

I don't want to get into Israel vs Palestine as a whole, that is beyond the scope of my knowledge. But can we at least agree that what Hamas did was too far? I want to show you folks something because a picture is worth more than a thousand words.

This is a German national named Shani Louk who has absolutely nothing to do with this conflict at all. So much so that she was in Israel on October 7th to attend a PEACE concert. Hamas kidnapped her, probably did unspeakable things to her, killed her, and paraded her naked body through the streets on the back of a truck. We know this because we have identified her corpse by her tattoos (I have photos, I won't show them.)

I don't really care who started this war or who did what to whom. Butchering innocent people is wrong and it harms your cause. Israel will now rain down fire upon Gaza and it'll have the moral high ground based purely on acts such as these. I've heard some people say that the Oct 7th attacks was Israels 9/11 moment and I agree. Because whatever America may or may not have done in the Middle East, Al Qaeda effed with innocents on too grand a scale to be ignored and its the same here.

On a personal note, acts such as these... well, its hard to keep up faith in humanity sometimes that's all i'm saying. You kind of hope that men who could do this to such a person are insane. But they're not. You kind of hope that those old stories of rape and pillage from thousands of years ago were almost a different breed of humanity. That we've evolved. But we haven't. And that is the truly scary thing. In many ways, humans are the same animals we were ten thousand years ago, only now we have better ways to kill and to hurt. Many of us who live in the West who have hot coffee on tap and air conditioning are so removed from the monsters crying out in the dark that its almost sad.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I believe Hamas has always been rather problematic despite the commonly considerable complexity of the conflict on an international level.
Power laces... alright.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

I think Hamas are the Palestine counterpart to Israeli Zionists; the unreasonable jerks who give everyone a bad name.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I admit as the crazy anarchist that I am, I am rolling my eyes at the, "Israel drove them to this" argument.

Yes, because a bunch of rape and murder of innocents is going to make the situation in Palestine better for the Palestinians.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I read there is another woman taken hostage along with her boyfriend who attended some peaceful concert or rally of some kind. So far the videos shown shows she is alive and perhaps untouched. Who knows what happened after that.

The whole situation is complex but at the base, the rape and murder of innocent people should not be tolerated. This whole thing does make me wonder what was the endgame here.

They have to know this will draw the anger of Israel. Did they have backing of other nations prior to the attack? Or are they that stupid?
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

McAvoy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:39 am I read there is another woman taken hostage along with her boyfriend who attended some peaceful concert or rally of some kind. So far the videos shown shows she is alive and perhaps untouched. Who knows what happened after that.

The whole situation is complex but at the base, the rape and murder of innocent people should not be tolerated. This whole thing does make me wonder what was the endgame here.

They have to know this will draw the anger of Israel. Did they have backing of other nations prior to the attack? Or are they that stupid?
I'm going to guess the strategy is pretty typical terrorism:

1. Attack Israel
2. Get horrific reprisals against Palestinian citizens
3. Radicalize Palestinians against Israel to gain new recruits
4. Rinse, Repeat
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:44 am
McAvoy wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:39 am I read there is another woman taken hostage along with her boyfriend who attended some peaceful concert or rally of some kind. So far the videos shown shows she is alive and perhaps untouched. Who knows what happened after that.

I'm going to guess the strategy is pretty typical terrorism:

1. Attack Israel
2. Get horrific reprisals against Palestinian citizens
3. Radicalize Palestinians against Israel to gain new recruits
4. Rinse, Repeat
Correct. It's self-perpetuizing violence, intended to feed the circle that keeps Hamas in power. Israel, recently, has been able to make progress with the relations to their neighbours and maybe someone in Gaza decided that it's time to undermine the effort made by the states involved. Heck, it appears as if an egyptian minister actually warned the israeli government about the impeeding attack, but it was promptly ignored by the current israeli government. Think about that for a moment. I mean, don't waste a thought about the extremist right government dismissing that information, that's par for the course (and I sincerely hope this leads to the downfall of Netanjahu and a revival of democracy in Israel), but think about EGYPT WARNING ISRAEL about an incoming attack. Not too long ago, Egypt would've provided weapons for that terror-attack...
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

By the stars above, it's Helter Skelter...
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:57 am By the stars above, it's Helter Skelter...
Huh?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

As someone I knew once said, "Just because you're an oppressed minority doesn't mean you're not an asshole."