Hamas Attacks Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
phantom000
Captain

Re: Hamas Attacks Israel

Post by phantom000 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 am Brace yourself for a shock, but it turns out Israel was lying about the flour massacre. https://edition.cnn.com/2024/04/09/midd ... gation-cmd
The funny thing is I would be willing to believe that the "Flour Massacre" was tragic accident; that some IDF soldier saw a bunch of Palestinians approaching and panicked. But that would require the IDF, and by extension Netenyashu, to admit that they are not infallible and that Israel can be wrong and obviously we just can't have that, now can we?
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

So now we got Iran launching drones and missiles now. Awesome. And Biden is swearing support for Israel.

This needs to end now before it gets way out of hand. Israel already has its pound of flesh and then some.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:25 am So now we got Iran launching drones and missiles now. Awesome. And Biden is swearing support for Israel.

This needs to end now before it gets way out of hand. Israel already has its pound of flesh and then some.
185 Shahed drones, 36 cruise missiles, 110 surface-to-surface missiles (medium range ballistic missiles). Launched from Iran, Iraq and Houthi-controlled Yemen. Minimal damage, some injured and no deaths so far. Iran declared it to be a singular retaliatory attack for the attack on their embassy. The ball is now entirely in the park of Israel again. I already know how Netanjahu would like to react. If there's any shred of common sense left in Israel's government, they'll not escalate with a retaliatory strike of their own. This is a living nightmare for Biden...

And the idiots who declare you an antisemite for criticizing Israel for what it's doing in Gaza and with the Palestinians at large are all like "Israel has to react now!". No, it doesn't. Israel started this latest bout between the two with their attack on the embassy. Israel needs to take a step back and reassess what the flying fuck it's doing there. The crux being, that the collective West will need to help Israel if these war-mongers escalate further, because the West can't afford another round of doing nothing and sitting by, because that would send all the wrong signals to Russia, China and other authoritarian regimes of the world. The tail is wagging with the dog right here. Seriously, fuck Israel's current government.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Kinda weird the CIA hasn't removed Netanyahu from power yet, now that he's a threat to US interests. Mossad counter-intelligence doing impressive work there.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

hammerofglass wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:40 am Kinda weird the CIA hasn't removed Netanyahu from power yet, now that he's a threat to US interests. Mossad counter-intelligence doing impressive work there.
CIA interests historically are rooted in right wing international economics bolstering and were appropriated more by anti Soviet fears. Proliferation of more detailed war coverage in the 90's along with the post soviet era made intervention a much more sentimentally public endeavor, which actually makes for much more critical consideration for Washington to lift a finger on matters.

Israel, needless to say, is a product of this, but has always had a big spotlight on it at the same time unlike the various S. American and other Middle East intrusions.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm increasingly convinced that Israel's leadership doesn't care what the consequences are, because the USA has made it clear they'll back them no matter what atrocities they commit or no matter how they flaunt international law. The USA can barely manage a little half-assed hand-wringing and it's clear the white phosphorous marked "For killing children and journalists" will keep coming.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Well because I read the articles on this, they pretty much stopped every single missile, and Biden said do NOT retaliate against Iran and Israel obeyed. If they do attack Iran, that's not gonna make Biden or America go 'Okay lets help' that will 100% prove America will do anything for Israel, so no war there. Biden should have put this fucker down harder and faster for a lot BEFORE this, but now he's reminding him of America's place. So unless this idiot decides to attack Iran, it seems we're now trying to curtail some of Israel's shit.

This will age badly.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I really don't think there's anything Israel can do that will get the USA to give up on funding them with weapons.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:52 am I really don't think there's anything Israel can do that will get the USA to give up on funding them with weapons.
I don't think that the US will expect Israel to do just nothing in the face of the attacks. It's also the case that Hamas embeds itself in civilian infrastructure to an incredible degree. They strategically pick the most vulnerable of areas for their most offensive units.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Please tell me we're not going back to the "actually Israel had to blow up those hospitals because there were Hamas agents hiding in the neo-natal ward" malarky.