15 year old falls to death first day on job

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: 15 year old falls to death first day on job

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:55 am Back in my day, I was a paperboy in the morning and a bag boy at night at age 15. Paperboy even less than that. Wonder how being a paperboy got past those laws.
True, but nobody cares as much about riding a bike on the street before 95% of the traffic wakes up.

That at least makes more sense back in the day when they made the exception for paperboy jobs.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:21 pm
McAvoy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:55 am Back in my day, I was a paperboy in the morning and a bag boy at night at age 15. Paperboy even less than that. Wonder how being a paperboy got past those laws.
True, but nobody cares as much about riding a bike on the street before 95% of the traffic wakes up.

That at least makes more sense back in the day when they made the exception for paperboy jobs.
Probably. Though I was still doing this in the rain, snow and ice at the crackass of dawn. Dont get me wrong, it was actually good money for a kid.

I just could never sleep in on snow days or school days off.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:44 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:21 pm

Probably. Though I was still doing this in the rain, snow and ice at the crackass of dawn. Dont get me wrong, it was actually good money for a kid.

I just could never sleep in on snow days or school days off.
Everybody knows about the age of paperboy profession. There's a classic video game based on it.

Child labor laws have more to do with industrial labor standards... factoring the economics of labor and capital as a mathematical balance and what not. Hiring one kid per well defined area of a neighborhood is very straight forward and easy to give provision for in cases such as bad weather if it's deemed unsafe.
Power laces... alright.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:19 pm
Deledrius wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:11 am
Tradition seems like a safe bet.
Okay, Jordan Peterson.
I'm sorry?

Peterson is more likely to use tradition to defend this sort of thing than label it as the way people excused it, as I was doing. I'm fairly certain he and I hold very opposing views on this (and most things, hopefully).
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:34 pm Is it wierd when I think, that there's nothing wrong with children working inherently* and that the actual problem is, when kids have to work for a living or to support their families?

*That is, of course, if the person in question recieves full worker's rights and equal pay, so it isn't just another round of "let's see how we can undermine established wage-structures and labour-rights even harder".
I agree, I don't see the problem either.

1) You really, really do appreciate something you've bought more than something bought for you.

2) 80% of your life is work. Getting some early experience can only benefit you. And yes, I absolutely do agree with you: equal pay and equal rights for these kids.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

This isn't really the best example of why child labor laws are in place. This is more a case that could happen to anyone and is at most semi compelling as to why standards are in place.

There's no problem with an adolescent gaining work experience and that's not why the standards are in place. It is however problematic when industrial standards aren't curbed by age.
Power laces... alright.