15 year old falls to death first day on job

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

15 year old falls to death first day on job

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/15 ... r-BB1hWw1m

This is the result of conservatives rolling back child labor laws. This is what they were working for.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: 15 year old falls to death first day on job

Post by hammerofglass »

There was a law, though? It says in the article hiring him for that job violated child labor laws.

I agree with you in principle but this isn't an example of it.

Mind you, when I was fifteen I was doing plenty of stuff at the farm I worked at that easily could have got me killed if I got unlucky or put a foot wrong. Normal for that time and place, not so much anymore when there's so few small farms left in my area. Teenagers doing dangerous jobs is not a new thing is my point.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Why is an incident from 2019 just getting coverage?
Also noted OSHA sited the company had no safety gear nor training for any employees who were going over 50ft in the air. It took them endangering and allowing a minor to die for this to come to light at all.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:33 pm There was a law, though? It says in the article hiring him for that job violated child labor laws.

I agree with you in principle but this isn't an example of it.

Mind you, when I was fifteen I was doing plenty of stuff at the farm I worked at that easily could have got me killed if I got unlucky or put a foot wrong. Normal for that time and place, not so much anymore when there's so few small farms left in my area. Teenagers doing dangerous jobs is not a new thing is my point.
I think it's a question of the necessity reducing, and our willingness to accept the associated risk reducing along with it. At this point it becomes about greed instead of necessity, and we're far less accepting of that (or, we say we are, anyway).
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Back in my day, I was a paperboy in the morning and a bag boy at night at age 15. Paperboy even less than that. Wonder how being a paperboy got past those laws.
I got nothing to say here.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Tradition seems like a safe bet.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:11 am Tradition seems like a safe bet.
Perhaps. Hard work for a young teenager. Wake up at 5:00 bag each newspaper and then throw each newspaper wherever each costumer wants it. Heaven forbid it lands a short of the door into the bushes. Each day the newspaper got heavier and thicker. And then the dreaded Saturday and Sunday papers. Wearing four bags filled with newspapers wrapped around my neck (because fewer trips).

Snow, rain whatever did it. All in time for school.
I got nothing to say here.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Is it wierd when I think, that there's nothing wrong with children working inherently* and that the actual problem is, when kids have to work for a living or to support their families?

*That is, of course, if the person in question recieves full worker's rights and equal pay, so it isn't just another round of "let's see how we can undermine established wage-structures and labour-rights even harder".
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:37 pm
This is the result of conservatives rolling back child labor laws. This is what they were working for.
What are you even talking about? Do you know how to talk about what's relevant based on what's actually in the article that you're posting about?

Edit: and I apologize for being so abrupt and intolerant, but is there any sign anywhere that this was because of relaxed legislation?
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Power laces... alright.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:11 am Tradition seems like a safe bet.
Okay, Jordan Peterson.
Power laces... alright.