Life Expectancy for American Women in the shitter

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Life Expectancy for American Women in the shitter

Post by hammerofglass »

I think you're conflating rich housewives with women in general, women have always worked.

Here's a famous case of factory injuries affecting mostly women from 1917, just because it's the first thing I thought of:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls

Women work in Saudi Arabia and Iran, too. Hell women have jobs under the Taliban.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:50 pm I think you're conflating rich housewives with women in general, women have always worked.

Here's a famous case of factory injuries affecting mostly women from 1917, just because it's the first thing I thought of:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls

Women work in Saudi Arabia and Iran, too. Hell women have jobs under the Taliban.
Yes not only that but also women did go outdoors on their time off too, as little as that was too.

Also medicine was still crude back then too, you could argue all the way up to the 70's. 100 years ago women were still giving birth in their homes as opposed to hospitals. Child birth was still dangerous even then too.

Yes it's possible that our modern lifestyle including having children at older ages could be contributing to it.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:18 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:26 pm
clearspira wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:40 pm I can't read the article as it is asking for a log in so i'm going to make a guess here at modern lifestyle.

A hundred years ago your life as a woman consisted of little more than baking bread, cleaning the house and pumping out babies. It was the men who went to war, had unhealthy lifestyles, handled asbestos, breathed in lead fumes from lead paint etc.

Nowadays women smoke, drink, are obese, don't exercise, have unprotected sex with multiple partners, take part in extreme sports, work in dangerous jobs and sometimes even go to war. it should not be a suprise that women's lifespans aren't as impressive anymore.

And as for the question about death in childbirth, its all linked. If you are are obese with ashy lungs and a bad liver then you are going to be less up to the massive strain of childbirth. Its the same for the career women who have kids later and later on. The ideal age for a kid is 18-25 - that is medical fact. You put that off even ten years you are at risk.

And before anyone accuses me of getting at women, its the same for men. Sperm counts are in the crapper probably due to too many Big Mac's and man-made chemicals.
Dude, what the fuck?
What the fuck what? I literally have no idea what you mean.

Do you honestly think that our modern lifestyles are not a major contributing factor to our lifespans stalling?

We. Are. The. Unhealthiest. That. We. Have. Ever. Been.

We're ridiculously fat, we eat vast quantities of food with no nutritional value that is full of chemicals, we're massively indulgent on every single vice, many barely get any sunlight at all as they are glued to their monitors in darkened rooms, we have statistically one of the loneliest populations in recorded history, and the exercise rate for the average person is close to zero.

It is also a fact like it or not that women simply were not allowed to live these lifestyles until a few decades ago. Women weren't even allowed their own bank account in America until 1974. The West didn't used to be too far behind the Middle East in its restrictions on women and that is within the living memory of Gen X - not some far flung past.

If you're referring to what the article actually says, I literally said that I didn't read it, and I expressed my horror when it was explained to me.
You sound like an evangelical parent. Jeez man. Don't blame everything on modern degeneracy.

For one thing, I could take you down a looong rabbit hole about the prevelance of pseudoscience in the field of nutrition.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Nah, an Evangelical would have thrown in a thing about why child marriage should be allowed and women should be mothers at 15.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

It depends on Health and lifestyle. I'll use an example of two women from the same period. My Grandmother drank and smoked for years and she passed from cancer at 81. By contrast, my great aunt never Drank or smoked and took care of herself and she's still going strong at 103 for the most part.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Sayla, the article just pointed out that the big environmental factors hear are homocide and suicide. Clean living doesn't exactly make you murder proof.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:18 am Sayla, the article just pointed out that the big environmental factors hear are homocide and suicide. Clean living doesn't exactly make you murder proof.
Something's seriously messed up about any country where there are enough murders for them to make any noticable difference to average life expectancy.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

No shit.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:18 am Sayla, the article just pointed out that the big environmental factors hear are homocide and suicide. Clean living doesn't exactly make you murder proof.
thank you for correcting me I misunderstood what the headline was and had not read the article at the time).
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I responded to clearspira's post without even reading the article. Does change what I was thinking.

Though I have read in the past few years dying during birth has increased by 50%. 32.9 per 100,000 in 2021 compared to 20.1 per 100,000 in 2019.
I got nothing to say here.