Biden V Trump: the rematch of the century

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: Biden V Trump: the rematch of the century

Post by CmdrKing »

Nobody700 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:11 pm Okay, fine, let me just lay it down.

Trump is going to win. He will. Face it, he will.
Ah, so you've concluded, from flimsy evidence, that Republicans are an invincible foe who can only be appeased, never defeated, and rather than spend your efforts to affect a more favorable outcome, instead you've preemptively set about choosing who to blame for your hypothetical future misfortune.

And you... don't see how this is self-defeating or how it may cause some to hold you in contempt?
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

CmdrKing wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:50 pm

Ah, so you've concluded, from flimsy evidence, that Republicans are an invincible foe who can only be appeased, never defeated, and rather than spend your efforts to affect a more favorable outcome, instead you've preemptively set about choosing who to blame for your hypothetical future misfortune.

And you... don't see how this is self-defeating or how it may cause some to hold you in contempt?
The irony is that the GOP has become 'The Trump-ist' party with the Republicans becoming a third party in this election. If Trump loses in November, it seems most likely that the Republicans will split off and form their own group, leaving Trump and his supporters behind. If Trump does win any Republicans who did not support him would likely face a very uncertain future.

Either way, I don't see how the Republican party as it has been can survive this November.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Easy, it has to change, it has to adapt, it has to be better than what it was.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

phantom000 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:58 pm
CmdrKing wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:50 pm

The irony is that the GOP has become 'The Trump-ist' party with the Republicans becoming a third party in this election. If Trump loses in November, it seems most likely that the Republicans will split off and form their own group, leaving Trump and his supporters behind. If Trump does win any Republicans who did not support him would likely face a very uncertain future.

Either way, I don't see how the Republican party as it has been can survive this November.
Eh, while I don't agree with Nobody700's gloomy prognostication, I think maybe you're leaning too far into optimism. The republicans will all fall in line. They always do. They're not going to split off and form a third party.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

They certainly aren't going to splinter off before November, but on the other hand, if 2024 goes as badly for them as 2018, 2020, and 2022 did, do they have a cohesive party left? The way their loudest members are attacking the people in the party who can raise money and organize, and the resulting wave of retirements among republicans... they're falling apart from sheer attrition and frustration even in the places they DO still have power.

Trump's push to hijack the entire party apparatus in order to propel himself back to power is insanely self-destructive, but at the same time getting back executive power might actually be the only way to stem that bleeding for the party. It's a really strange tension that more likely than not will soon lead the party to ruin, but it has the side effect of really puffing up Trump's paper tiger.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

One thing's true. The fact that he rose to power in the first place is proof that this country was never great. That he's out of prison and running right now only drives the point home. To be frank, I don't even know why we have a law allowing traitors to get the death penalty if it's not used on him.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville