Biden V Trump: the rematch of the century

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Biden V Trump: the rematch of the century

Post by hammerofglass »

Yeah, the bystanders being legitimate targets is a totally different episode. The Darkness and the Light, season five.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm voting for Biden because, well for one reason he's at least talking about a ceasefire, while 45 is talking about nukes, to remind me that it can get even worse than "Ongoing genocide".

Also because I have a lot of trans friends and I don't want them to be legislated out of existence. And because there is not a single bad thing Biden will do that 45 wouldn't also do only worse. I'm no Biden cheerleader, but for me the choice is as clear and as bitter as it always was.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:54 am I'm voting for Biden because, well for one reason he's at least talking about a ceasefire, while 45 is talking about nukes, to remind me that it can get even worse than "Ongoing genocide".

Also because I have a lot of trans friends and I don't want them to be legislated out of existence. And because there is not a single bad thing Biden will do that 45 wouldn't also do only worse. I'm no Biden cheerleader, but for me the choice is as clear and as bitter as it always was.
Pretty much my stance. If I had a real choice, it wouldn't be Biden. We don't get a real choice in this country. So, my best option is the one that's less likely to become lethal to me and mine.

"Vote Blue no matter who, because Red will probably want you dead'.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:54 am I'm voting for Biden because, well for one reason he's at least talking about a ceasefire, while 45 is talking about nukes, to remind me that it can get even worse than "Ongoing genocide".

Exactly. Trump has been steadily taking over the Republican party with Yes Men/women. This time around he won't have as many people advising him not to something. This time he will go after anyone not bowing before him. This time he will attack everyone has gone after him since 2020. As much as he can of course but he could do serious damage the US.

Biden on the other hand is still surrounded by those who are at least thinking about the country and it's allies. Even if you assume Biden is a puppet.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Trump got his own people running the RNC now. So basically all of the funding and support in the party is going to him and not any state or local elections.

It might help his campaign but the odds of the GOP winning the Senate and keeping the House just went waaay down.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:21 am Trump got his own people running the RNC now. So basically all of the funding and support in the party is going to him and not any state or local elections.

It might help his campaign but the odds of the GOP winning the Senate and keeping the House just went waaay down.
He spent four years running his own party into the ground because he public attacked anyone who offered the slightest criticism or resistance. Traditionally the incumbent in just about any election save for the Presidency, is the favored candidate (that's how you have some governors and congressmen that have been serving since the 1990's). When all those Republicans bowed out because Trump had turned their own voter base against them it meant all those positions were now open and more than a few went to the Democrats.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

The Republican party isn't centralized enough to be "under" Trump. MAGA is now an official pocket of Republican voting agendas, but what you see is what you get pretty much. DeSantis and Ramaswamy were running on MAGA tickets and neither of them held out as long as Haley. MTG probably more closely resembles the prominence of MAGA influence, and I doubt for instance that anyone over in the Senate doesn't have to remind themselves as to why she's relevant to proceedings whenever she's brought up.

Republicans will vote for Trump because he embodies the decentralized or disestablishment that they want moving forward.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:49 pm The Republican party isn't centralized enough to be "under" Trump. MAGA is now an official pocket of Republican voting agendas, but what you see is what you get pretty much. DeSantis and Ramaswamy were running on MAGA tickets and neither of them held out as long as Haley. MTG probably more closely resembles the prominence of MAGA influence, and I doubt for instance that anyone over in the Senate doesn't have to remind themselves as to why she's relevant to proceedings whenever she's brought up.

Republicans will vote for Trump because he embodies the decentralized or disestablishment that they want moving forward.
Before Trump they were more centralized than liberals. Now we got a pocket of Republicans that could call themselves a different party by this point under Trump. Trumpican. Which makes it a big deal for the whole Republican party because there is a significant amount of Republicans that absolutely hate MAGA and Trump. Some of these probably won't vote at all.

Without a doubt MTG is the poster child for MAGA. I do wonder how this will all go down if Trump is not elected this year and how MAGA will survive past that. Will they continue or just slowly melt away into the dark.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I disagree. MAGA is, at most, an exaggeration of what the Republican party is and has been for a long time.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:33 am I disagree. MAGA is, at most, an exaggeration of what the Republican party is and has been for a long time.
Well yeah. It's the fringe parts of that party that now has a voice.