Billionaire drowns in Tesla due to super strong glass

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Billionaire drowns in Tesla due to super strong glass

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://apnews.com/article/angela-chao- ... zzqsRsahbQ

Thought this was parody at first when I saw it. I'm glad there's one less billionare but I'm worried because my mom drives a Tesla.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: Billionaire drowns in Tesla due to super strong glass

Post by CmdrKing »

It's a testament to how utterly atrophied the regulatory state is that "accidentally reversed into a cattle pond" produced a fatality despite multiple people on scene trying to help save them. Like, seriously, this sorta thing is only possible if either
A) Literally nobody put this through a very basic "if vehicle is submerged" test
or more likely
B) Tesla was allowed to completely self-report their own safety tests

Which is pretty damning a statement on the toothlessness of the relevant regulators.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Fun fact: she was the sister-in-law of Mitch McConnel, infamous Repub. senator for Kentucky, former Senate Majority Leader, and current Senate Minority Leader. Conspiracies are floating about, at the moment.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

For all we've been hearing about the low quality of Tesla construction for years that air seal isn't messing around.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:27 am For all we've been hearing about the low quality of Tesla construction for years that air seal isn't messing around.
Huh? What do you mean?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:16 am
hammerofglass wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:27 am For all we've been hearing about the low quality of Tesla construction for years that air seal isn't messing around.
Huh? What do you mean?
If I'm reading it right she didn't drown, she asphyxiated.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:20 amIf I'm reading it right she didn't drown, she asphyxiated.
Drowning is a special case of asphyxiation, but grammar-nutziing aside, I very much doubt that. In a normal car, pretending there were no air-inlets at all (of which there are plenty), you can survive for 4ish hours, give or take. They managed to get the car out of the water at about 1am, when it went into the water at around 11pm. That's 90ish minutes. And it was also mentioned, that the cabin was filled with water when it was opened, proving, that a Tesla isn't airtight (it would be madness if it were, but hey, this is Tesla we're talking about...).

I have no doubt that the "bulletproof" glas contributed to the rescuers inability to get her out of the car in time though and fully expect the shoddy electric circuits making it impossible to lower the windows or open the door, once in water.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:09 am I'm glad there's one less billionare
Please tell me that's a joke because you are a pretty nasty piece of work if you think that someone deserves to die just because they have money.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:04 am
hammerofglass wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:20 amIf I'm reading it right she didn't drown, she asphyxiated.
Drowning is a special case of asphyxiation, but grammar-nutziing aside, I very much doubt that. In a normal car, pretending there were no air-inlets at all (of which there are plenty), you can survive for 4ish hours, give or take. They managed to get the car out of the water at about 1am, when it went into the water at around 11pm. That's 90ish minutes. And it was also mentioned, that the cabin was filled with water when it was opened, proving, that a Tesla isn't airtight (it would be madness if it were, but hey, this is Tesla we're talking about...).

I have no doubt that the "bulletproof" glas contributed to the rescuers inability to get her out of the car in time though and fully expect the shoddy electric circuits making it impossible to lower the windows or open the door, once in water.
Ah, I missed the cabin full of water part. That makes a lot more sense.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:00 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:09 am I'm glad there's one less billionare
Please tell me that's a joke because you are a pretty nasty piece of work if you think that someone deserves to die just because they have money.
I don't think somebody deserves to die for having money. I think you don't become a billionaire without being truly, utterly evil, and you don't stay one without being even worse.

Imagine you walk past somebody who is drowning. You choose not to do anything to save them. You let them drown without even acknowledging their cries for help. That would make you a pretty horrible person, right?

A billionaire is somebody who walks past people they could save from drowning without even getting wet, every second of every day, and they get that rich by owning a business pushing people into the water. Every single billionaire is a monster.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville