Tik tok banned.

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Tik tok banned.

Post by Thebestoftherest »

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/ar ... the-senate

I don't know if this will go through senate.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Tik tok banned.

Post by TGLS »

I think it probably will. Faced with owning an asset that will lose a huge chunk of its value, I imagine ByteDance will sell it.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Dear gods I hope not. I have no love for Tiktok but it sets a horrible precedent. I'm certianly calling congress members to ask that they vote against it.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

So TikTok potentially someday giving data to China they have a problem with and they think is a national threat, but Google Facebook Reddit and X selling it to them or whoever else pays like they have been all along they're cool with?

I also really want to know how the House got this from first being proposed, through committee, and to a floor vote where it got a ridiculous 352-65 majority in just four days. Something very fishy going on there.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I think it because tiktok didn't help any of them win an election ahead of time. They needed a proper lobbyist.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Youtube has a serious Gen Alpha and Gen Z problem in that they prefer TikTok. Youtube isn't going anywhere any time soon but that is a worry for them. They are running the risk of becoming ''daddy's website'' just like Facebook has.

And this is only amplified by the fact that Youtube is now corporate as fuck. Horrible censorship, draconican copyright, mainstream TV shows getting the front page. TikTok is more ''YOU''tube than Youtube is and has been for a long time.

Basically what i'm saying is, I think that this has got nothing whatsoever to do with China and everything to do with Google lobbying.

The good news is that Gen Z and Gen Alpha are also the most likely to know how to get around pesky things like ''national lockouts''.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

What's screwing YouTube over are its adverts. Heaven knows how anyone can stomach watching it now without a functional adblocker.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:45 am I think it because tiktok didn't help any of them win an election ahead of time. They needed a proper lobbyist.
Speaking of the election, whoever bans Tiktok can look forward to losing the young vote. I don't think that the old crones in charge fully grasp just how important it is to so many people.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Riedquat wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:45 am What's screwing YouTube over are its adverts. Heaven knows how anyone can stomach watching it now without a functional adblocker.
That's basically the whole internet now.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

clearspira wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:34 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:45 am I think it because tiktok didn't help any of them win an election ahead of time. They needed a proper lobbyist.
Speaking of the election, whoever bans Tiktok can look forward to losing the young vote. I don't think that the old crones in charge fully grasp just how important it is to so many people.
How does that work when both side are equally stupid.