The "tiktok ban" is SO MUCH WORSE than it sounds

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

The "tiktok ban" is SO MUCH WORSE than it sounds

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://www.vice.com/en/article/4a3ddb/ ... iktok-vpns
Incredibly broad powers to shut down anyone's internet data without due process and censor what they like. I thought KOSA was bad, but this is worse.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nealithi
Captain

Re: The "tiktok ban" is SO MUCH WORSE than it sounds

Post by Nealithi »

I do love the part where they say the threshold is too high to go for regular users and is meant to target providers.
Say wasn't that the line they used to seize homes and vehicles in the war on drugs? And some how targeted regular folk more than known dealers? Hmm.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I mean, I support the ban because it's being used as intelligence gathering by a foreign power.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:38 am I mean, I support the ban because it's being used as intelligence gathering by a foreign power.
Whereas Facebook is being used as intelligence gathering by your own government. That better is it?
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

clearspira wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:50 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:38 am I mean, I support the ban because it's being used as intelligence gathering by a foreign power.
Whereas Facebook is being used as intelligence gathering by your own government. That better is it?
Whataboutism? Thought you'd be smarter than that. Government-surveillance is always bad, but it's especially bad, if done by an authoritarian, totalitarian regime that's willing to murder it's own people.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:30 am
Whataboutism? Thought you'd be smarter than that. Government-surveillance is always bad, but it's especially bad, if done by an authoritarian, totalitarian regime that's willing to murder it's own people.
''Incredibly broad powers to shut down anyone's internet data without due process and censor what they like. I thought KOSA was bad, but this is worse.''

America is on the road to being pretty authoritarian itself. And I can list you plenty of times that America has killed its own people too. Even experimented on.

Not saying its as bad as China, but I reject the idea of whataboutism. There is a thin line between East and West that is getting thinner with each passing day.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

You're making it seem like it's an issue of the constitution not being followed to the letter or something.

China's government on an east/west front has been known to act aggressively in economic interests. It hardly resembles any issues that America has either with its own people or abroad.
Power laces... alright.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I think Zuckeberg should be investigated for complicity in the genocide of Burma and other placs governments have used data sold by Facebook.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Did you even READ the article?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

I just want TikTok banned.

Don't send me a 2,000 word thing on why it's wrong, I know it's wrong. But I just want TikTok banned.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.