The "tiktok ban" is SO MUCH WORSE than it sounds

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: The "tiktok ban" is SO MUCH WORSE than it sounds

Post by Deledrius »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:05 pm I just want TikTok banned.

Don't send me a 2,000 word thing on why it's wrong, I know it's wrong. But I just want TikTok banned.
Then don't cut off your nose to spite your face. This law is the wrong way to do it.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2024/03/c ... iktok-bans
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:15 pm

Don't send me a 2,000 word thing on why it's wrong, I know it's wrong. But I just want TikTok banned.
Then don't cut off your nose to spite your face. This law is the wrong way to do it.

Like I said, I know morally and legally it's wrong to do this. But my heart tells me, ban Tik-Tok.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:11 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:30 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:50 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:38 am I mean, I support the ban because it's being used as intelligence gathering by a foreign power.
Whereas Facebook is being used as intelligence gathering by your own government. That better is it?
Whataboutism? Thought you'd be smarter than that. Government-surveillance is always bad, but it's especially bad, if done by an authoritarian, totalitarian regime that's willing to murder it's own people.
''Incredibly broad powers to shut down anyone's internet data without due process and censor what they like. I thought KOSA was bad, but this is worse.''

America is on the road to being pretty authoritarian itself. And I can list you plenty of times that America has killed its own people too. Even experimented on.

Not saying its as bad as China, but I reject the idea of whataboutism. There is a thin line between East and West that is getting thinner with each passing day.
I wouldn’t call it whataboutism but how you regard a domestic government is completely different than how you regard a foreign government. It’s ridiculous to compare apples to apples when each state is looking after the economic interests within its own borders.
Power laces... alright.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:30 pm
Deledrius wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:15 pm

Like I said, I know morally and legally it's wrong to do this. But my heart tells me, ban Tik-Tok.
And I'm not saying banning it is bad. I'm saying banning it with the wrong tools for the wrong reason is bad. Very bad.

The sort of bad that comes back and bites us in ways that will make TikTok look benign.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:05 pm Don't send me a 2,000 word thing on why it's wrong, I know it's wrong. But I just want TikTok banned.
OK then.
The emergence of social media platforms has fundamentally reshaped the way people interact, share information, and express themselves in the digital age. Among these platforms, TikTok has risen to prominence as a hub for creative expression, cultural exchange, and social interaction, particularly among younger demographics worldwide. However, the prospect of banning TikTok has sparked contentious debates, raising critical questions about freedom of expression, government regulation, and the broader implications for online speech and innovation.

Banning TikTok is a complex issue fraught with ethical, legal, and diplomatic considerations. On one hand, there are legitimate concerns about content moderation, data privacy, and the potential influence of foreign ownership, particularly given that TikTok is owned by the Chinese company ByteDance. On the other hand, an outright ban on TikTok could be viewed as a disproportionate response that infringes upon the fundamental right to freedom of expression and sets a troubling precedent for online censorship and government overreach.

This essay will explore the multifaceted implications of banning TikTok, delving into its significance as a platform for creative expression, cultural exchange, and social interaction. It will examine how a ban on TikTok could disenfranchise users, stifle innovation in the social media space, strain diplomatic relations between countries, and raise concerns about censorship and government interference in online speech. Additionally, this essay will consider alternative approaches to addressing the legitimate concerns surrounding TikTok, such as targeted regulation, transparency, and collaboration between governments and tech companies.

Ultimately, the decision whether to ban TikTok or adopt alternative regulatory measures carries profound implications for the future of online expression, innovation, and global digital governance. By critically examining the complexities of this issue, we can better understand the delicate balance between safeguarding individual rights and addressing legitimate concerns about the impact of digital platforms on society.

Banning TikTok could be seen as an infringement on the freedom of expression. While there may be valid concerns about content moderation and data privacy on the platform, outright banning it could set a precedent for restricting online speech and creative expression. Freedom of expression is a fundamental human right that encompasses the ability to express oneself freely through various mediums, including speech, writing, art, and increasingly, digital platforms like TikTok.

TikTok serves as a platform for diverse forms of expression, from comedic sketches to political commentary to educational content. Banning TikTok would restrict access to this diverse range of voices and perspectives, limiting the free exchange of ideas and creativity that contributes to a vibrant digital public sphere.

TikTok is particularly popular among younger demographics, who use the platform to share their experiences, opinions, and creative endeavors. Banning TikTok would disenfranchise these users, denying them a space to express themselves and engage with their peers on issues that matter to them.

TikTok provides a platform for cultural expression and exchange, allowing users from different backgrounds to share their traditions, music, dance, and language. Banning TikTok would hinder this cultural exchange and deprive users of the opportunity to celebrate and learn from diverse cultural perspectives.

TikTok's format of short-form video encourages experimentation and innovation in content creation. Many creators use TikTok as a space to explore new ideas, styles, and techniques in a supportive and interactive community. Banning TikTok would stifle this innovation and limit the creative potential of digital media.

Banning TikTok could set a dangerous precedent for online censorship, signaling to governments and tech companies that it is acceptable to restrict access to digital platforms based on subjective criteria or political motivations. This could embolden authorities to further suppress dissenting voices and stifle free expression online.

While there may be legitimate concerns about content moderation, data privacy, and other issues on TikTok, addressing these concerns through targeted regulation and oversight is preferable to outright banning the platform, which risks infringing on the fundamental right to freedom of expression.

TikTok has a massive user base worldwide, including creators who rely on the platform for income and exposure. Banning TikTok would disrupt the lives and livelihoods of these users, potentially causing financial hardship and limiting their ability to connect with others and express themselves. The impact of banning TikTok on its users, particularly creators, is significant and multifaceted.

For many creators, TikTok serves as a primary or supplemental source of income. Through various monetization mechanisms such as brand partnerships, sponsored content, and the TikTok Creator Fund, creators earn money based on their content's popularity and engagement. Banning TikTok would eliminate this revenue stream, causing financial hardship for creators who rely on it to support themselves and their families.

TikTok has become a launchpad for emerging talent, providing creators with exposure and opportunities that can lead to careers in entertainment, marketing, and other industries. Banning TikTok would cut off these career pathways, depriving aspiring creators of the chance to showcase their talents and connect with potential collaborators and employers.

TikTok's algorithm-driven feed ensures that content reaches a wide and diverse audience, allowing creators to connect with people from around the world. Banning TikTok would sever these connections, limiting creators' ability to engage with their audience, build communities, and share their stories, perspectives, and talents on a global scale.

For many users, TikTok is more than just a platform for fame and fortune—it's a creative outlet where they can express themselves, explore their interests, and connect with like-minded individuals. Banning TikTok would deprive these users of a space to unleash their creativity and find belonging in a supportive and vibrant online community.

TikTok is not just about content creation—it's also about social interaction and connection. Banning TikTok would isolate users from their online friends and communities, depriving them of the social support and camaraderie that they may rely on for emotional well-being and personal growth.

TikTok represents a unique platform for creative expression, particularly through short-form video content. Banning it could stifle innovation in the social media space and limit competition, which ultimately benefits consumers by providing them with a variety of options for connecting and sharing online. TikTok's unique platform for creative expression, centered around short-form video content, has had a transformative impact on the social media landscape. Here's how banning TikTok could stifle innovation and limit competition in the digital space, to the detriment of consumers:

TikTok popularized the short-form video format, which has since been adopted by other social media platforms such as Instagram Reels and YouTube Shorts. Banning TikTok could hinder further innovation in this space, depriving users of new features, tools, and formats for creating and sharing content.

TikTok's algorithm-driven feed ensures that content from a diverse range of creators, genres, and styles reaches a wide audience. Banning TikTok could lead to a homogenization of content on other platforms, as creators migrate to alternative platforms with different demographics, algorithms, and content norms.

TikTok has become a launchpad for emerging talent, providing a low-barrier entry point for aspiring creators to showcase their skills and build an audience. Banning TikTok could limit the visibility and accessibility of these creators, making it harder for them to break into the mainstream and compete with established influencers and celebrities.

Competition among social media platforms drives innovation and improvement in features, functionality, and user experience. Banning TikTok would reduce competition in the social media space, giving dominant players like Facebook and Google greater control over the market and potentially stifling innovation to the detriment of consumers.

Ultimately, consumers benefit from having a variety of options for connecting and sharing online. Banning TikTok would limit consumer choice, depriving users of a platform that offers a unique and engaging experience tailored to their preferences and interests.

In summary, TikTok's innovative approach to short-form video content has reshaped the social media landscape, fostering creativity, diversity, and competition to the benefit of consumers. Banning TikTok could stifle further innovation in this space, limiting consumer choice and depriving users of the opportunity to engage with diverse content and emerging talent.

Banning TikTok could strain diplomatic relations with countries where the platform is based or popular. TikTok is owned by the Chinese company ByteDance, and banning it could escalate tensions between countries, leading to retaliatory measures and further geopolitical complications.

Banning TikTok could be interpreted as an act of interference or aggression by the country where ByteDance is based (China). This could lead to diplomatic tensions and retaliation, as countries may view the ban as an unjustified restriction on a platform that is popular among their citizens.

In response to a TikTok ban, China could implement retaliatory measures against the banning country's companies or products. This could escalate into a cycle of trade restrictions, economic sanctions, and other retaliatory actions, further straining diplomatic relations and impacting global trade and cooperation.

Banning TikTok could exacerbate existing geopolitical tensions between countries, particularly those involving China. In recent years, there has been increasing competition and rivalry between China and other major powers, such as the United States. Banning TikTok could be seen as part of this broader geopolitical competition, leading to heightened tensions and potential escalation.

TikTok's global presence means that its ban could have ripple effects on international business and investment. Companies operating in multiple countries may face uncertainty and regulatory challenges if their operations are affected by geopolitical tensions related to TikTok's ban.

TikTok serves as a platform for cultural exchange and interaction between people from different countries and backgrounds. Banning TikTok could limit this cultural exchange, depriving users of the opportunity to connect with people from around the world and share their experiences, ideas, and creativity.

Overall, banning TikTok due to its ownership by ByteDance could have far-reaching diplomatic consequences, leading to strained relations between countries, retaliatory measures, and further geopolitical complications. It highlights the interconnectedness of the global digital landscape and the potential for technology platforms to become entangled in broader geopolitical rivalries and conflicts.Banning TikTok raises concerns about censorship and government overreach. While there may be legitimate reasons for regulating certain types of content on social media platforms, banning an entire platform outright could be seen as a disproportionate response that limits access to information and stifles free expression. A ban raises such concerns as it involves restricting access to a widely-used social media platform. Here's a deeper exploration of these concerns:

Banning TikTok could be perceived as a disproportionate response that limits users' ability to express themselves freely. While there may be valid concerns about certain types of content on the platform, such as misinformation or harmful behavior, banning the entire platform outright restricts access to a diverse range of content and stifles free expression.

Banning TikTok raises questions about censorship and the role of governments in regulating online speech. By imposing a ban, governments effectively dictate what content users can access and share, which may infringe upon individuals' rights to access information and express themselves without fear of censorship or reprisal.

Banning TikTok without transparent and accountable processes for content moderation and regulation raises concerns about government overreach and arbitrary decision-making. Users may not know why certain content or platforms are banned, leading to confusion and distrust in the regulatory process.

Banning TikTok could stifle innovation in the social media space by limiting competition and discouraging new entrants into the market. Innovation often thrives in environments where diverse voices and ideas are freely exchanged, and banning TikTok could disrupt this dynamic, leading to a less vibrant and innovative digital landscape.

Banning TikTok sets a precedent that other governments may follow, leading to a fragmented and heavily regulated online environment. This could have far-reaching implications for freedom of expression, innovation, and access to information worldwide, as governments increasingly assert control over digital platforms and content.

Instead of outright bans, many argue for more nuanced approaches to addressing concerns related to TikTok, such as improved regulation, transparency, and cooperation between governments and tech companies to ensure the protection of user data and the moderation of harmful content while still preserving freedom of expression and innovation.
Oh, uh, I misread that.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

TGLS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:32 am
Nobody700 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:05 pm Don't send me a 2,000 word thing on why it's wrong, I know it's wrong. But I just want TikTok banned.
OK then.
The emergence of social media platforms has fundamentally reshaped the way people interact, share information, and express themselves in the digital age. Among these platforms, TikTok has risen to prominence as a hub for creative expression, cultural exchange, and social interaction, particularly among younger demographics worldwide. However, the prospect of banning TikTok has sparked contentious debates, raising critical questions about freedom of expression, government regulation, and the broader implications for online speech and innovation.

Banning TikTok is a complex issue fraught with ethical, legal, and diplomatic considerations. On one hand, there are legitimate concerns about content moderation, data privacy, and the potential influence of foreign ownership, particularly given that TikTok is owned by the Chinese company ByteDance. On the other hand, an outright ban on TikTok could be viewed as a disproportionate response that infringes upon the fundamental right to freedom of expression and sets a troubling precedent for online censorship and government overreach.

This essay will explore the multifaceted implications of banning TikTok, delving into its significance as a platform for creative expression, cultural exchange, and social interaction. It will examine how a ban on TikTok could disenfranchise users, stifle innovation in the social media space, strain diplomatic relations between countries, and raise concerns about censorship and government interference in online speech. Additionally, this essay will consider alternative approaches to addressing the legitimate concerns surrounding TikTok, such as targeted regulation, transparency, and collaboration between governments and tech companies.

Ultimately, the decision whether to ban TikTok or adopt alternative regulatory measures carries profound implications for the future of online expression, innovation, and global digital governance. By critically examining the complexities of this issue, we can better understand the delicate balance between safeguarding individual rights and addressing legitimate concerns about the impact of digital platforms on society.

Banning TikTok could be seen as an infringement on the freedom of expression. While there may be valid concerns about content moderation and data privacy on the platform, outright banning it could set a precedent for restricting online speech and creative expression. Freedom of expression is a fundamental human right that encompasses the ability to express oneself freely through various mediums, including speech, writing, art, and increasingly, digital platforms like TikTok.

TikTok serves as a platform for diverse forms of expression, from comedic sketches to political commentary to educational content. Banning TikTok would restrict access to this diverse range of voices and perspectives, limiting the free exchange of ideas and creativity that contributes to a vibrant digital public sphere.

TikTok is particularly popular among younger demographics, who use the platform to share their experiences, opinions, and creative endeavors. Banning TikTok would disenfranchise these users, denying them a space to express themselves and engage with their peers on issues that matter to them.

TikTok provides a platform for cultural expression and exchange, allowing users from different backgrounds to share their traditions, music, dance, and language. Banning TikTok would hinder this cultural exchange and deprive users of the opportunity to celebrate and learn from diverse cultural perspectives.

TikTok's format of short-form video encourages experimentation and innovation in content creation. Many creators use TikTok as a space to explore new ideas, styles, and techniques in a supportive and interactive community. Banning TikTok would stifle this innovation and limit the creative potential of digital media.

Banning TikTok could set a dangerous precedent for online censorship, signaling to governments and tech companies that it is acceptable to restrict access to digital platforms based on subjective criteria or political motivations. This could embolden authorities to further suppress dissenting voices and stifle free expression online.

While there may be legitimate concerns about content moderation, data privacy, and other issues on TikTok, addressing these concerns through targeted regulation and oversight is preferable to outright banning the platform, which risks infringing on the fundamental right to freedom of expression.

TikTok has a massive user base worldwide, including creators who rely on the platform for income and exposure. Banning TikTok would disrupt the lives and livelihoods of these users, potentially causing financial hardship and limiting their ability to connect with others and express themselves. The impact of banning TikTok on its users, particularly creators, is significant and multifaceted.

For many creators, TikTok serves as a primary or supplemental source of income. Through various monetization mechanisms such as brand partnerships, sponsored content, and the TikTok Creator Fund, creators earn money based on their content's popularity and engagement. Banning TikTok would eliminate this revenue stream, causing financial hardship for creators who rely on it to support themselves and their families.

TikTok has become a launchpad for emerging talent, providing creators with exposure and opportunities that can lead to careers in entertainment, marketing, and other industries. Banning TikTok would cut off these career pathways, depriving aspiring creators of the chance to showcase their talents and connect with potential collaborators and employers.

TikTok's algorithm-driven feed ensures that content reaches a wide and diverse audience, allowing creators to connect with people from around the world. Banning TikTok would sever these connections, limiting creators' ability to engage with their audience, build communities, and share their stories, perspectives, and talents on a global scale.

For many users, TikTok is more than just a platform for fame and fortune—it's a creative outlet where they can express themselves, explore their interests, and connect with like-minded individuals. Banning TikTok would deprive these users of a space to unleash their creativity and find belonging in a supportive and vibrant online community.

TikTok is not just about content creation—it's also about social interaction and connection. Banning TikTok would isolate users from their online friends and communities, depriving them of the social support and camaraderie that they may rely on for emotional well-being and personal growth.

TikTok represents a unique platform for creative expression, particularly through short-form video content. Banning it could stifle innovation in the social media space and limit competition, which ultimately benefits consumers by providing them with a variety of options for connecting and sharing online. TikTok's unique platform for creative expression, centered around short-form video content, has had a transformative impact on the social media landscape. Here's how banning TikTok could stifle innovation and limit competition in the digital space, to the detriment of consumers:

TikTok popularized the short-form video format, which has since been adopted by other social media platforms such as Instagram Reels and YouTube Shorts. Banning TikTok could hinder further innovation in this space, depriving users of new features, tools, and formats for creating and sharing content.

TikTok's algorithm-driven feed ensures that content from a diverse range of creators, genres, and styles reaches a wide audience. Banning TikTok could lead to a homogenization of content on other platforms, as creators migrate to alternative platforms with different demographics, algorithms, and content norms.

TikTok has become a launchpad for emerging talent, providing a low-barrier entry point for aspiring creators to showcase their skills and build an audience. Banning TikTok could limit the visibility and accessibility of these creators, making it harder for them to break into the mainstream and compete with established influencers and celebrities.

Competition among social media platforms drives innovation and improvement in features, functionality, and user experience. Banning TikTok would reduce competition in the social media space, giving dominant players like Facebook and Google greater control over the market and potentially stifling innovation to the detriment of consumers.

Ultimately, consumers benefit from having a variety of options for connecting and sharing online. Banning TikTok would limit consumer choice, depriving users of a platform that offers a unique and engaging experience tailored to their preferences and interests.

In summary, TikTok's innovative approach to short-form video content has reshaped the social media landscape, fostering creativity, diversity, and competition to the benefit of consumers. Banning TikTok could stifle further innovation in this space, limiting consumer choice and depriving users of the opportunity to engage with diverse content and emerging talent.

Banning TikTok could strain diplomatic relations with countries where the platform is based or popular. TikTok is owned by the Chinese company ByteDance, and banning it could escalate tensions between countries, leading to retaliatory measures and further geopolitical complications.

Banning TikTok could be interpreted as an act of interference or aggression by the country where ByteDance is based (China). This could lead to diplomatic tensions and retaliation, as countries may view the ban as an unjustified restriction on a platform that is popular among their citizens.

In response to a TikTok ban, China could implement retaliatory measures against the banning country's companies or products. This could escalate into a cycle of trade restrictions, economic sanctions, and other retaliatory actions, further straining diplomatic relations and impacting global trade and cooperation.

Banning TikTok could exacerbate existing geopolitical tensions between countries, particularly those involving China. In recent years, there has been increasing competition and rivalry between China and other major powers, such as the United States. Banning TikTok could be seen as part of this broader geopolitical competition, leading to heightened tensions and potential escalation.

TikTok's global presence means that its ban could have ripple effects on international business and investment. Companies operating in multiple countries may face uncertainty and regulatory challenges if their operations are affected by geopolitical tensions related to TikTok's ban.

TikTok serves as a platform for cultural exchange and interaction between people from different countries and backgrounds. Banning TikTok could limit this cultural exchange, depriving users of the opportunity to connect with people from around the world and share their experiences, ideas, and creativity.

Overall, banning TikTok due to its ownership by ByteDance could have far-reaching diplomatic consequences, leading to strained relations between countries, retaliatory measures, and further geopolitical complications. It highlights the interconnectedness of the global digital landscape and the potential for technology platforms to become entangled in broader geopolitical rivalries and conflicts.Banning TikTok raises concerns about censorship and government overreach. While there may be legitimate reasons for regulating certain types of content on social media platforms, banning an entire platform outright could be seen as a disproportionate response that limits access to information and stifles free expression. A ban raises such concerns as it involves restricting access to a widely-used social media platform. Here's a deeper exploration of these concerns:

Banning TikTok could be perceived as a disproportionate response that limits users' ability to express themselves freely. While there may be valid concerns about certain types of content on the platform, such as misinformation or harmful behavior, banning the entire platform outright restricts access to a diverse range of content and stifles free expression.

Banning TikTok raises questions about censorship and the role of governments in regulating online speech. By imposing a ban, governments effectively dictate what content users can access and share, which may infringe upon individuals' rights to access information and express themselves without fear of censorship or reprisal.

Banning TikTok without transparent and accountable processes for content moderation and regulation raises concerns about government overreach and arbitrary decision-making. Users may not know why certain content or platforms are banned, leading to confusion and distrust in the regulatory process.

Banning TikTok could stifle innovation in the social media space by limiting competition and discouraging new entrants into the market. Innovation often thrives in environments where diverse voices and ideas are freely exchanged, and banning TikTok could disrupt this dynamic, leading to a less vibrant and innovative digital landscape.

Banning TikTok sets a precedent that other governments may follow, leading to a fragmented and heavily regulated online environment. This could have far-reaching implications for freedom of expression, innovation, and access to information worldwide, as governments increasingly assert control over digital platforms and content.

Instead of outright bans, many argue for more nuanced approaches to addressing concerns related to TikTok, such as improved regulation, transparency, and cooperation between governments and tech companies to ensure the protection of user data and the moderation of harmful content while still preserving freedom of expression and innovation.
Oh, uh, I misread that.
Ok, but I still want TikTok banned.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Agreed.

A lot of this is, "But what if it upsets CHINA and the FREE MARKET!"

Both of which need more upsetting.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I'm just happy the Democrats and the Republicans can agree on something for a change. I wish it was, "Fuck Russia" but "Fuck China" will do.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Even supposing this gets through the Senate (unlikely, it's a shittily written bill that was slapped together in a whirlwind of racist fervor), it has a zero percent change of "banning TikTok". It's not even meant to. It's meant to force divestment from Chinese owners. Which not only doesn't reduce the amount of spying going on, it doesn't even reduce the CCP's access to that data. They could always just fucking buy it.

If Congress cares about data privacy, maybe fucking fund the FCC and other relevant regulatory bodies so they enforce what regulations exist!

So no, this has zero to do with TikTok and everything to do with government overreach and wanting to prosecute individual end users for criticizing them.

If you're actually worried about the evils of TikTok (which is good, they are numerous!), the problem has nothing to do with their owners and everything to do with how tech companies and social media especially operate. The underlying reason that they're all hives of misinformation is their opaque algorithms that favor engagement and rage over information or human connection. By nature when what your internet machine favors is what draws attention, what will get more attention is the most sensational content, and few things are more sensational than conspiracies. Limit algorithms' ability to weight engagement, demand transparency, ban making algorithm-only feeds (this is why TikTok is worse than other social media for the most part!), give users more power to customize their feeds beyond individual blocks, and we'll see a much healthier online ecosystem. Transferring TikTok from TenCent to whatever conglomerate of right-wing billionaires buys it will only make it worse than it already is.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

TGLS wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:54 pm I'm just happy the Democrats and the Republicans can agree on something for a change. I wish it was, "Fuck Russia" but "Fuck China" will do.
I'm not, because they're agreeing on deciding to crush and oppress people.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville