The USA isn't "Polarized"

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: The USA isn't "Polarized"

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:19 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:01 pm *laughs in European*
Don't laugh too hard. Y'all have your own rising Neo-Nazi movements and autocrats.
And this is a counter to me scoffing at the notion, that the US-politics aren't polarized? I'm not sure how. The US political system is notoriously bad at representing a large portion of the voting crowd and it can't get more polarized than "Either we get Raving Religious Lunatics wanting to establish a Theocratic Dictatorship with Laissez-Faire capitalism (but only for the rich white people, while everyone else is factually a slave) versus whatever the Democrats are these days, but at least they don't want to murder half the population (and with slightly less Laissez-Faire capitalism)." This is literally the definition of bipolar.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:26 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:19 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:01 pm *laughs in European*
Don't laugh too hard. Y'all have your own rising Neo-Nazi movements and autocrats.
And this is a counter to me scoffing at the notion, that the US-politics aren't polarized? I'm not sure how. The US political system is notoriously bad at representing a large portion of the voting crowd and it can't get more polarized than "Either we get Raving Religious Lunatics wanting to establish a Theocratic Dictatorship with Laissez-Faire capitalism (but only for the rich white people, while everyone else is factually a slave) versus whatever the Democrats are these days, but at least they don't want to murder half the population (and with slightly less Laissez-Faire capitalism)." This is literally the definition of bipolar.
Let's be honest, here. They'll kill FOUR-FIFTHS of the population, if given the chance.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

"Polarized" implies that both sides are the problem, that it's a binary situation. It's not. We have one "trying to kill us" party and a very loose, ineffectual coalition of everyone who's not trying to kill us.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:28 pm "Polarized" implies that both sides are the problem, that it's a binary situation. It's not. We have one "trying to kill us" party and a very loose, ineffectual coalition of everyone who's not trying to kill us.
And these are the same to you? You do know what "polarized" means, right?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:28 pm "Polarized" implies that both sides are the problem, that it's a binary situation. It's not. We have one "trying to kill us" party and a very loose, ineffectual coalition of everyone who's not trying to kill us.
''Conveniently, we are better than the other side in every possible way.''
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Clearspira, are you honestly gonna South Park this one?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

clearspira wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:30 pm
''Conveniently, we are better than the other side in every possible way.''
Yes, because "massively corrupt and actively hostile towards most of the country" and "generally incompetent and out of touch" are EXACTLY the same thing.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am Clearspira, are you honestly gonna South Park this one?
I'm saying that it is very convenient that you brave Sir Knight are on the side of truth, justice and the American way whereas everyone on the other side to you wearing a different colour is wrong. And PS, I would strongly recommend that you actually look up what the phrase ''political polarization'' means, because dude, that is you to a T.

Forget South Park. Y'know who you remind me of actually? General Melchett from Blackadder.

Darling: So you see, Blackadder, Field Marshal Haig is most anxious to
eliminate all these German spies.

Melchett: Filthy Hun weasels fighting their dirty underhand war!

Darling: And, fortunately, one of *our* spies--

Melchett: Splendid fellows, brave heroes, risking life and limb for Blighty!

Darling: ...has discovered that the leak is coming from the Field Hospital.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I don't get why polarization is being conflated with a righteous judgement between each side. The US very much is polarized, mainly consistent with what clearspira first said.

Polarization though has a bunch of caveats and problematic facets, though our democracy is just that; our democracy. It's one of the more pioneered projects in more modern history, and our federalist/state structure is robust compared to other regions.

I'll say this time and again, but it's silly to compare US nation state logistics to other countries like UK. The US federal government doesn't have the same breadth of direct watch over its people as much as the state government does.

But yes, it is more polarized when there is less common ground for political cohesion.
Power laces... alright.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:11 pm I don't get why polarization is being conflated with a righteous judgement between each side. The US very much is polarized, mainly consistent with what clearspira first said.
I believe it's because that's what the article did.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.