The USA isn't "Polarized"

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: The USA isn't "Polarized"

Post by McAvoy »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:52 am Do you have a source for that?
I would like to see that too. So far a few Google searches has shown multiple articles written about how once abortion is outlawed so will contraception. Now granted this could be fearmongering but I actually want to see any kind of relation with the Pro Lifers versus those who want to ban condoms or female birth control.
I got nothing to say here.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

My Mom was Pro-File and actively used Birth Control herself, my existence was unpanned due to her not expecting to live as long as she did.

I'm Pro-Choice but still one who's sick of how often people with "conservative" views are presumed to by lying about why they take the positions they take.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Your mom is one person. She could just as easily be the exception rather than the rule.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I've met lots of anti-abortion people who have no problem with birth control and/or sex education. Fewer accidental pregnancies=fewer abortions, after all.

But I've also never met or even heard of anyone who was against birth control and/or sex education and not also against abortion.

For the people who pushed through Dobbs specifically, opposing all three is a matter of faith and doctrine. It's not like it's a secret, they think it makes them heroes and they won't shut up about it.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

How is the Us not polarized again?
Power laces... alright.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Nealithi wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:19 am I have thought for decades we had two large parties and dozens of minor ones with no chance to get into office. Now that has merged into the Republicans as a mostly united group. And the Democrats being everyone else as joining them gives a minor party a greater chance of being elected at all.
This is why the Democrats are less effective against the Republicans as they have a dozen or more actual views and agendas.
The more classical take I had before the trump era was that Democrats have stronger higher governing principles that came off lofty and scattered for practical cohesion while Republicans were more tight knit with more consistent directives between each other.

Now post Obama it seems like social media took more influence over progressive politics in a super computer kind of way while yes the gop devolved into the same bedrock with a little too much dressing in the form of reactionary sentiment… not enough to change a lot of minds, but just make certain segments of the right more off put in the modernized landscape.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:55 pm How is the Us not polarized again?
Polarization is something that happens on both sides. The Democratic Party hasn't moved left, but the Republican party has gone off the deep end.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:51 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:55 pm How is the Us not polarized again?
Polarization is something that happens on both sides. The Democratic Party hasn't moved left, but the Republican party has gone off the deep end.
That is not because of anything about the nature of the two parties, it's because don't need to concede as much because they win without even getting the most votes.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:51 pm
The dnc is more or less just more muted now because they can’t tell the social media elites anything that they’re not more informed on.

It’s more or less part of the condition of polarization, when you have a significant generational switch in the making, by way of gen z voters.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Bwah? What do you mean by "social media elites"?