IRS Collects $500 million from deliquent millionaires

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

IRS Collects $500 million from deliquent millionaires

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/irs-h ... s-b70fe240
Remember this when people ask what Biden has accomplished.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Re: IRS Collects $500 million from deliquent millionaires

Post by McAvoy »

Nice chunk of change.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

That will get us 2 extra fighter jets.
Power laces... alright.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Half way to a stealth bomber!
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I mean, technically taxes don't fund federal spending, so it's a moot point.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:38 pm I mean, technically taxes don't fund federal spending, so it's a moot point.
That’s the only thing government can spend with aside from bonds/loans.

Federal income tax is taken out of most everybody’s civil society paycheck. I’m just not sure what you’re referring to, sorry.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

No, you've got it backwards. Federal spending is how the government *creates* wealth; taxes are how the government deletes wealth and creates demand for currency.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 am No, you've got it backwards. Federal spending is how the government *creates* wealth; taxes are how the government deletes wealth and creates demand for currency.
Yeah the government can only "spend" what it "taxes." Thus creating wealth depends on deleting wealth. Taxes are done by rates though, not livelihood, so that theory you're referring to comes off a bit post modern.
Power laces... alright.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:52 am No, you've got it backwards. Federal spending is how the government *creates* wealth; taxes are how the government deletes wealth and creates demand for currency.
Yeah the government can only "spend" what it "taxes." Thus creating wealth depends on deleting wealth. Taxes are done by rates though, not livelihood, so that theory you're referring to comes off a bit post modern.
As long as they print their own money they can and do spend way more than they tax if they don't mind causing inflation. Money on that scale is a game of make-believe.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:48 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 am
As long as they print their own money they can and do spend way more than they tax if they don't mind causing inflation. Money on that scale is a game of make-believe.
Indeed. And the smaller the group proportionate to the entire population, the less costly in inflation. In fact, I've always been of the notion that discretionary one time disbursements done straight by the Treasury Department of the Executive Branch would probably not even be noticeable to the national commerce indices used to measure the value of money.

Like: "Oh the government gave a million dollars to this progressive startup across the country, I guess that means I have to raise the price of my apples because it'll make oil more expensive and demand is getting too high due to the increase in the supply of money."
Power laces... alright.