House passess bill to criminalize criticizing Israel

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

House passess bill to criminalize criticizing Israel

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

The House when literal neo-nazis chant "Jews will not replace us: Zzzzz

The House when somebody criticizes Israel for genocide and war crimes: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2024/5 ... -advocates
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
phantom000
Captain

Re: House passess bill to criminalize criticizing Israel

Post by phantom000 »

What is interesting is that the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance on their website says
[Antisemitism] might include the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity. However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic.
So long it is not criticizing the Jews as an ethnicity, but Israel as a nation it cannot be considered antisemitic. Of course when have people let something like that stop them?

Then again, even if it gets through the Senate and isn't vetoed, there is still the Supreme Court consider. If this bill is passed and someone was charged I feel like that is where its headed.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: House passess bill to criminalize criticizing Israel

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

The Supreme Court is currently ruled by evil. Our best hope is that the actual antisemites in the Republican party will get too spooked by it and raise a stink. Of course, even if it doesn't pass, this bill will paint targets on the backs of every Jewish person in America and have the antisemitic conspiracy theorists deciding its time to take up arms.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville