Something I want to share

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
phantom000
Captain

Re: Something I want to share

Post by phantom000 »

You reach a point where you have had it. And the fact that the Left hate Trump is good enough reason alone to support him. You can’t bully him. And that drives you wild. He’s our middle-finger to all that crepe you have put us through. He’s your punishment for disrespecting us as you have.
If I met this person I would ask them how they expect Trump to address any of the issues they are complaining about? What did he do to address any of these issues during his time as president? If anything, this 'liberal culture' was spreading even faster under Trump.

And as for your 'middle finger,' you know they call it 'the last act of defiance' for a reason, right?
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Is Trump the answer to that? No, he's just a extremist bigot. But that alone doesn't make the unease and distaste with how society's going something that should then be ignored, just because that gets latched on to by extremist bigots. Ignoring it, sneering at anyone who says anything hinting at it, that's all "how I want to live is the only right way to live and anyone who thinks differently is scum" type stuff. Which is never acceptable, and pile on the self-denial all you like (a generic "you" not directed personally at anyone here) nonsense.

In short I only find the people who really, really go on about Trump marginally better than him himself, they're two sides of the same coin.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Not really? Because we ARE offering solutions to a lot of the problems of society, and most of these "I feel attacked" things are just feelings, not actually oppression. The problem is that people like this turn up their nose at our solutions because they're afraid the "wrong kind" of people might benefit from them as well, so they cut of their nose to spite their face.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I so rarely find myself wondering what clearspira would have thought of something, and yet...
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

Riedquat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:48 pm Is Trump the answer to that? No, he's just a extremist bigot. But that alone doesn't make the unease and distaste with how society's going something that should then be ignored, just because that gets latched on to by extremist bigots. Ignoring it, sneering at anyone who says anything hinting at it, that's all "how I want to live is the only right way to live and anyone who thinks differently is scum" type stuff. Which is never acceptable, and pile on the self-denial all you like (a generic "you" not directed personally at anyone here) nonsense.

In short I only find the people who really, really go on about Trump marginally better than him himself, they're two sides of the same coin.
I won't say I love or hate Murderers, but you want to know who is worse than murderers? Critics of those brave artists.

Now that's a reference I doubt anyone here knows.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

Riedquat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:48 pm Ignoring it, sneering at anyone who says anything hinting at it, that's all "how I want to live is the only right way to live and anyone who thinks differently is scum" type stuff. Which is never acceptable, and pile on the self-denial all you like (a generic "you" not directed personally at anyone here) nonsense.

I agree. I feel like a lot of people on both sides, liberals and conservatives, are making the same mistake just from different directions. This is why its hard for me to get invested in politics because it feels like it has become little more than a glorified shouting match; trying to see who has the biggest dick by seeing who can make the most noise.

What is even the point?
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

phantom000 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:41 pm
Riedquat wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:48 pm Ignoring it, sneering at anyone who says anything hinting at it, that's all "how I want to live is the only right way to live and anyone who thinks differently is scum" type stuff. Which is never acceptable, and pile on the self-denial all you like (a generic "you" not directed personally at anyone here) nonsense.

I agree. I feel like a lot of people on both sides, liberals and conservatives, are making the same mistake just from different directions. This is why its hard for me to get invested in politics because it feels like it has become little more than a glorified shouting match; trying to see who has the biggest dick by seeing who can make the most noise.

What is even the point?
For myself, the point is simple self-preservation. Only one side is trying to illegalize the existence of transgender people, reusing arguments and justifications from when they tried to illegalize homosexual people. Hint: it ain't the Democrats.

I'm a cisgender pansexual and I know for a FACT that they won't stop with trans folks. I don't have a real choice, when you get right down to it.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Seconded. My partner is nonbinary, biracial, and living on disability. I think the Republicans have a lot of nasty things in store for them, and I don't want to wait around for 45 to outlaw faggotry.
phantom000
Captain

Post by phantom000 »

ProfessorDetective wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:09 am
phantom000 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:41 pm

What is even the point?
For myself, the point is simple self-preservation. Only one side is trying to illegalize the existence of transgender people, reusing arguments and justifications from when they tried to illegalize homosexual people. Hint: it ain't the Democrats.

I'm a cisgender pansexual and I know for a FACT that they won't stop with trans folks. I don't have a real choice, when you get right down to it.
That is fair.

It just drives me crazy when anyone on either side of any conversation takes an 'all or nothing' stance. That if you don't completely agree with them on everything than you are totally antithetical to their position. To me that is an unhelpful attitude that sounds more like you just want something to complain about rather than actually accomplish anything; kinda like the person quoted in the OP. They don't want to actually change anything they just want to look down their nose at people they disagree with because it makes them feel good about themselves.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

But uh...is the left really taking an All or Nothing stance? (and I'm being generous here by calling democrats 'the left'). What I mostly see is the right taking an all-or-nothing stance and being antagonistic when other people say that trans people deserve healthcare or something. It's The Boy Who Cried Woke.