I Believe In You

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Re: I Believe In You

Post by Karha of Honor »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:56 am Any argument that includes "The Right" or "The Left" is doomed to obfuscate rather than illuminate by its very nature, as these terms are ultimately reductive. Try to avoid them if you seek greater understanding.
Greater understanding yes. For pragmatic political conversation/digital combat they are still useful.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Deledrius wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:56 am Any argument that includes "The Right" or "The Left" is doomed to obfuscate rather than illuminate by its very nature, as these terms are ultimately reductive. Try to avoid them if you seek greater understanding.
No they're really not, Slash likes to pretend he's not right-wing, but whenever I see him on here he's nearly always echoing right-wing talking points.
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

unknownsample wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:17 pm
No they're really not, Slash likes to pretend he's not right-wing, but whenever I see him on here he's nearly always echoing right-wing talking points.
All i can do is echo?

How do you think of the right wing? There is nothing wrong with being right wing in my eyes based on how i think of it.

Whats difference does it make for you what do i brand as myself?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Thank you for this forum.
Many other places that have done news articles deleted their comments sections/forums. And I feel I lose out because of that. There are usually a toxic segment in a news thread. But you can learn more than just what is presented when the commenters get some input. Expansions on the article, counter points. More points of data to make a clearer picture.
And sometimes the very real need to point out the news is a tiny keyhole view of larger pictures. And I look forward to discussing and learning from those here.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Two million women and girls. Two million. And those guilty got away with it. That right there is the international symbol for, "There is no justice on this wretched Earth, you gotta take what you can get."
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
CMDR_Bob
Redshirt

Post by CMDR_Bob »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 am Two million women and girls. Two million. And those guilty got away with it. That right there is the international symbol for, "There is no justice on this wretched Earth, you gotta take what you can get."
Sorry to jump in and ruin your fear-mongering, but that's really unfair to the rest of the world. I don't care what your morality or principles are, that's incredibly shallow of you to blame one region's failure to protect part of its population on the rest of us. I think it's a shitty person that says "well, that oppressive regime failed part of its population and our reluctance to interfere so things don't get worse makes us just as bad."

On the other topic...

I don't think it's healthy to separate people into camps of "left" or "right". It's incredibly divisive, and I'd appreciate it if both sides stopped doing that. Unfortunately, that's idealism and nobody believes in giving such lofty fantasies a fair shake. I would like to see both sides make a more concentrated effort to come to an impasse, though. Being able to say "yeah, we have our bad eggs and good eggs" and go from there is a good start, methinks.

Also, kindly don't associate antifa, the KKK, or any other similarly-functioning "fringe group" with a side, please. They represent the very worst of any given generation and their actions ought not to define whichever "side" of the political scale you choose to sit on. I would more equate them (especially antifa) with whiny little shits who want attention, so they do everything in their power to get it. Once you choose to disassociate them with anything meaningful, they stop having much sway, either way.
I have a book on Amazon:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095RXRDGG
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

CMDR_Bob wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:26 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:33 am Two million women and girls. Two million. And those guilty got away with it. That right there is the international symbol for, "There is no justice on this wretched Earth, you gotta take what you can get."
Sorry to jump in and ruin your fear-mongering, but that's really unfair to the rest of the world. I don't care what your morality or principles are, that's incredibly shallow of you to blame one region's failure to protect part of its population on the rest of us. I think it's a shitty person that says "well, that oppressive regime failed part of its population and our reluctance to interfere so things don't get worse makes us just as bad."

On the other topic...

I don't think it's healthy to separate people into camps of "left" or "right". It's incredibly divisive, and I'd appreciate it if both sides stopped doing that. Unfortunately, that's idealism and nobody believes in giving such lofty fantasies a fair shake. I would like to see both sides make a more concentrated effort to come to an impasse, though. Being able to say "yeah, we have our bad eggs and good eggs" and go from there is a good start, methinks.

Also, kindly don't associate antifa, the KKK, or any other similarly-functioning "fringe group" with a side, please. They represent the very worst of any given generation and their actions ought not to define whichever "side" of the political scale you choose to sit on. I would more equate them (especially antifa) with whiny little shits who want attention, so they do everything in their power to get it. Once you choose to disassociate them with anything meaningful, they stop having much sway, either way.
There are real fundamental disagreements. How is there an impasse on free speech or gun rights?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

How does that invalidate my argument? People get away with their crimes, and in staggering numbers. The record for this was off the charts seven decades ago. New technologies have made it easier, or harder rather, to get away with it. And that's something to be proud of. But those guilty were still never tried for their crimes. That's something we should be ashamed of.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:56 pm How does that invalidate my argument? People get away with their crimes, and in staggering numbers. The record for this was off the charts seven decades ago. New technologies have made it easier, or harder rather, to get away with it. And that's something to be proud of. But those guilty were still never tried for their crimes. That's something we should be ashamed of.
History is a sea of misery, it is my duty towards my ancestors with short lifespans and tyrrants above them not to be ashamed over something i had jack to do with and try to enjoy life.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Very true. My father was a disgusting person. My grandfather, maternal? Was the warmest, most wonderful man you could know. I try to be more like him than my own father.