DACA and the DREAM Act

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Admiral X
Captain

Re: DACA and the DREAM Act

Post by Admiral X »

The Romulan Republic wrote: He had to be pressured into explicitly condemning them after one of them drove a car ISIS-style into a group of peaceful protesters, murdering an innocent woman and injuring many others. He then tried to portray them as morally equivalent to their opponents, as though to deflect the brunt of the blame from them and to give them mainstream legitimacy.
So like I said.
Even other Republicans saw that this was wrong. Hell, white supremacists were reportedly delighted by it, and took it as the support that it was.
White supremacists are also delighted by the violence because it both feeds into their persecution complex and helps them to recruit others who feel likewise, and convinces them that the race war they want is starting.
Its pretty much just you who's apparently unable, or unwilling, to see it.
No, those of us stuck in the middle between all the extremists see it for what it is.
You want a citation that that immigrants are often leaving dangerous and violent situations? Really?
Yes, because often they come here for economic reasons, like the people who immigrate legally. You seem to be confusing immigrants with refugees.
Just admit that you made a mistake.
It's right there in the definition. Would you like me to re-quote it and emphasize that part?
Yet pretty much everything you post in this topic is either trying to downplay the severity of what Trump is threatening, attacking its opponents, or trying to change the topic. So if I reached a false conclusion about your motives, maybe its because you have given every indication that that is, in fact, your position.
No, I'm just rolling my eyes at the flailing about and exaggeration from the "progressives" who are trying to make it out to be something it's not. I am generally sympathetic to immigrants and would like to make it easier for people to immigrate legally. That being said, those who have immigrated illegally being sent back to their country of origin is not the end of the world, and represents immigration law being enforced. This particular issue helps to illustrate wonderfully why Obama using and abusing executive privilege to essentially pass law by himself was a horrible idea, and why policy like this should really be run through legislature, so it can't be so easily undone.
Do you, or do you not, support the deportation of 800,000-plus mostly law-abiding immigrants previously protected by DACA?
I see it as the same kind of abuse of power that I disliked Obama for exercising.
Except nothing like that, because a) my definition of ethnic cleansing was more accurate than yours',
Actually according to the definition you posted, mine is just as accurate as yours.
and b) Trump has, while not declaring himself a Nazi, pandered too and been supported by Nazis. On national television.
Really? When?
But the Trail of Tears is actually not the worst comparison for the worst case scenario of a DACA repeal. Oh, it will probably be done less messily, more high-tech., rather than physically marching thousands of people cross-country, so that's something, I guess. And doubtlessly one can claim that the Native Americans had a stronger claim on this land than anyone else.
And that's the defining factor of it. The Trail of Tears was the removal of Native peoples from their ancestral lands. These are people whose cultures developed in these areas and had been there for many, many generations. A somewhat interesting factor is that the Supreme Court actually ruled in their favor, but Jackson just ignored the ruling and had them moved anyway. And since he and the Army saw the Natives as less than human, they really didn't give a shit about casualties that occurred during the process. And all so the US could have access to the land. This immigration issue is nothing comparable to that because we are talking about people who by definition have come from a different country, and they are not being removed to take their land. They are not being treated as sub-human (to my knowledge), and they are essentially being sent back to their country of origin, rather than being moved to a completely different area that has been set aside for them, precisely because it is an undesirable location that white folks have already rejected for their own uses.
IIRC, Trump also considers Andrew Jackson a favorite former President.
A lot of more conservative leaning white folks do because of his reputation from the War of 1812, and the fact he paid down the national debt.
My entire point was that those two examples I gave are not comparable- that not all laws equally merit principled disobedience.
I think my point is that for me, something like this immigration law might represent that for you, while gun control is that for me, and the difference I'm making reference to is that you tend to choose much more extreme examples for your comparisons. My point as far as it applies to gun control is that I am very much aware that for all the talk from the "progressive" side about taking a stand against what they feel are immoral laws are all to eager to deny basically any other group that same stance to whatever they feel strongly about, such as the right to keep and bear arms. I saw a number of law enforcement agencies from local sheriff's departments, and city police up to state police say they'd refuse to obey what they saw as an immoral law because it represented a violation of civil rights of the people they serve. And while I might be on board with them for that point but still make a sarcastic remark about the fourth and fifth amendments being a thing, too, "progressives" were talking real big about the power of the Federal government and how we ought to send the army in and all that. :lol: Of course now, at least some of you seem to have found the appeal of states' rights. That's basically what I'm getting at, because I don't really believe you are for that so much as you seem to want to continue enforcing your sense of morality on others and are simply upset that the shoe is on the other foot at the moment.
You're the one who keeps engaging in it (and then misrepresenting me as doing so).
I'm not the one accusing others of being Nazis on very little basis.
Do you mean the hypocrisies you invented after misrepresenting and straw-manning my arguments?

And then you try to change the topic onto a gun control debate. Priceless.
No, I mean how you'll talk down about people wishing hurricanes on people they don't like based on their sense of morality, and then you turning around and doing the same thing.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Post by Archon_Wing »

Admiral X wrote:
cilantro wrote:I personally believe that there should be a path to citizenship for all DACA members and that throwing them out will be cruel and heartless. Especially the ones that trusted the government and exposed themselves back during Obama.
Which really just shows you that the government can never really be trusted and must be constantly checked. Ironically, this illustrates quite well the reason why gun rights supporters fight tooth and nail against any kind of registration list.
Yea, I mean this kind of thing always hits those people are obeying the law, since well, criminals are the ones that aren't obeying the law anyways.

In any case, give them an inch and they'll go for a mile. Even if they're allegedly doing something for the "greater good" such as the War on Drugs; that massive expansion of power over the people is just a side dish....
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Admiral X wrote: I have yet to see any evidence that Trump ever condoned white supremacists. The best anyone can come up with outside of making shit up is that he didn't condemn them well enough for their liking.
Here is a quote from alt-right website StormFront (since taken down by its hosting service for this sort of thing). It is directly referring to President Trump's reaction to the events in Charlottesville.

“Trump comments were good. He didn’t attack us. He just said the nation should come together. Nothing specific against us.
“He said that we need to study why people are so angry, and implied that there was hate… on both sides!
“So he implied the antifa are haters.
“There was virtually no counter-signaling of us at all.
“He said he loves us all.
“Also refused to answer a question about White Nationalists supporting him.
“No condemnation at all.
“When asked to condemn, he just walked out of the room.
“Really, really good.
“God bless him.”

These are the nazi's, white nationalists, and other alt-right groups saying in print that they took President Trump's speech as a winking endorsement of what they are. I guess you don't have to agree with the group claiming that Trump supported them thru their coded, "hide your power level" jargon and dog whistling. But they do.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Post by Archon_Wing »

Well, I wouldn't want my seediest followers to speak on behalf, though I guess attracting them in the first place would partially be my fault.

It's more of a refusal to condemn racism and nazis when most other people in this society already have, since those things are not acceptable in this day in age. It's just hard to really say others are "very fine people" when you have a car killer and people chanting about Jews that it'd be easy to call a spade a spade.

I guess the establishment Republicans, in their general refusal of postmodern subjectivity (aka PCness), were at least consistent in their moral standards, since Trump effectively engaged in a form of Political Correctness for White Nationalists. But then again the alt-right is basically SJWs for the right.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Rocketboy1313 wrote:
Admiral X wrote: I have yet to see any evidence that Trump ever condoned white supremacists. The best anyone can come up with outside of making shit up is that he didn't condemn them well enough for their liking.
Here is a quote from alt-right website StormFront (since taken down by its hosting service for this sort of thing). It is directly referring to President Trump's reaction to the events in Charlottesville.

“Trump comments were good. He didn’t attack us. He just said the nation should come together. Nothing specific against us.
“He said that we need to study why people are so angry, and implied that there was hate… on both sides!
“So he implied the antifa are haters.
“There was virtually no counter-signaling of us at all.
“He said he loves us all.
“Also refused to answer a question about White Nationalists supporting him.
“No condemnation at all.
“When asked to condemn, he just walked out of the room.
“Really, really good.
“God bless him.”

These are the nazi's, white nationalists, and other alt-right groups saying in print that they took President Trump's speech as a winking endorsement of what they are. I guess you don't have to agree with the group claiming that Trump supported them thru their coded, "hide your power level" jargon and dog whistling. But they do.
All I can see there is that they don't have anything either. Almost like they're some fringe group that's desperate for any kind of recognition, even to the point that they'll read something into nothing. You know, like they are. In any case, this is hardly the open endorsement that was claimed, even from their end of it.
-TR
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Admiral X wrote: All I can see there is that they don't have anything either. Almost like they're some fringe group that's desperate for any kind of recognition, even to the point that they'll read something into nothing. You know, like they are. In any case, this is hardly the open endorsement that was claimed, even from their end of it.
You confuse me.
I do not understand the level of scrutiny you are applying to the situation.

When the liberal side is saying, "He winkingly endorsed Nazis".
Moderates are saying, "That was too weak a stance."
And Nazis are saying, "He loves us."

You might want to reevaluate what it is you need to see/read/hear to change your mind on a position.
There has to be a threshold at which you stop defending him, or deflecting criticism right?

Let's look at the DACA thing. There is no evidence that this will have any positive impact on criminal or economic activity. None.
So, why do it? Why do it right after pardoning Sheriff Joe? There is a pattern of behavior that is not inclusive, and is endorsing policies that are discriminatory. I feel like that is plain on its face.

I don't understand your position.

Even if your belief is a hard line, "That's that law" you still have to have good laws, or the whole concept of "law" being a determination of what is good or just breaks down. How is the damage to DACA a good use of law? How is DACA a bad law/order/whatever?
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

Admiral X will never concede no matter how many facts you throw at him. Why? Because if he did, then he'd have to admit to being racist, and he has convinced himself that since he doesn't feel like a bad person, and racists are bad people, therefore he can't be racist. That's why I put him and others like him on this site on the Ignore list (sadly I still get to see what they're peddling whenever someone quote-replies them). You come at them with evidence they are wrong, much like Creationists they double down and treat it not as a reason to rethink their stance, but rather as a test of their faith. To admit being wrong is weakness, and to these people the WORST thing a man can do is be weak, whatever their definition of "weakness" happens to be this generation. I wonder how people like them would've fared way back in the day when high heels and the color pink were for men and women wearing them "ruined it for everyone." ;)
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

Hello everyone. I've been away for a couple of weeks as real life has been taking up my attention. Just popping by to let everyone know the rules are still enforced and personal attacks mean a warning.

A week long ban for Arkle who has been warned multiple times not to do it before and has zero excuses.

Please keep the debate civil.
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: You might want to reevaluate what it is you need to see/read/hear to change your mind on a position.
There has to be a threshold at which you stop defending him, or deflecting criticism right?
There is, but the accusation here is that he's either a Nazi or supports Nazis, and I've yet to see any evidence of that beyond apparently being somewhat chickenshit to just come right out and condemn them without feeling like he has to condemn both sides. Of course, there is a segment from 60 minutes from not long after his election where he does condemn them, but naturally this wasn't enough, and I doubt anything would ever be enough given the partisanship involved.
Let's look at the DACA thing. There is no evidence that this will have any positive impact on criminal or economic activity.
Never stopped the government from making something illegal before, or even trying for that matter. Hell, the FBI admitted that the AWB did nothing to their gun crime stats, but people still keep trying to bring about AWB II: Ban Harder. :roll: Of course this is just taking you at your word of it having little or no impact.
So, why do it? Why do it right after pardoning Sheriff Joe? There is a pattern of behavior that is not inclusive, and is endorsing policies that are discriminatory. I feel like that is plain on its face.
Or perhaps it could be seen as a serious attempt to enforce existing immigration law.
I don't understand your position.

Even if your belief is a hard line, "That's that law" you still have to have good laws, or the whole concept of "law" being a determination of what is good or just breaks down. How is the damage to DACA a good use of law? How is DACA a bad law/order/whatever?
Does a national border mean anything? If so, then a nation should be able to have control over who crosses over it into itself. DACA struck me, like so many other things before it, as pandering to a base that can't even legally vote to begin with. I suppose I like the idea of someone who immigrated illegally to have a chance to go through the process and make it legal, though I still wonder if the immigration process itself can't be made a bit easier. Pretty much I just don't want another country's violent thugs - we have enough of our own to deal with.
-TR
cilantro
Officer

Post by cilantro »

Admiral X wrote:
cilantro wrote:I personally believe that there should be a path to citizenship for all DACA members and that throwing them out will be cruel and heartless. Especially the ones that trusted the government and exposed themselves back during Obama.
Which really just shows you that the government can never really be trusted and must be constantly checked. Ironically, this illustrates quite well the reason why gun rights supporters fight tooth and nail against any kind of registration list.
Man, that is harsh. I many of them are severing in the military and I wonder what would happen once they come back and find out that Trump wants to throw them out?