Discovery Season 5

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Riedquat
Captain

Re: Discovery Season 5

Post by Riedquat »

Mabus wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:41 pm
Remember those two scenes from S4 of Discovery with Bryce or whatever his name is, aka the only Asian guy from the bridge, suddenly, out of blue telling Burnham about how his village was wiped out by a hurricane, and the second when Owo literally runs to Saru and tells him about her childhood trauma? Remember how out of place those two scenes were? Yup, those were just the writers doing their daily quota for characters' trauma. Same thing with Detmer's "PTSD" which had little if any effect on the main story. Or Riker's and Troi's son, who died of silicon virus infecting his carbon flesh brain. Or Picard's mom killing herself. Rios' captain killing himself. The writers just needed cheap and quick drama, that would barely last a couple of episodes, before moving on to the next. How can anyone expect good writing when all the writers can do is to make all characters' main trait, being traumatized by the higher-ups?
"Gritty and realistic."
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I am doing a bit of waiting period myself. Just waiting until episode 8 come along before I binge watch. I don't normally do this on my favorite shows, but Discovery for me is a chore. Even Picard I watched regularly. Discovery it so much.

I watched the first two episodes of the first season of Discovery before I left it alone until I think mid second season.

While I have never been a big fan of micro analysis of shows, Discovery annoys me so much.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Speaking of a chore...

Episode 5 is such a slog, and it's because it was a waste of a perfectly good episode. They had a very solid 20 minute A plot and 10 minutes of good B plot flashback, and then ruined it by padding the episode out to an hour instead of adding more actual content.

To me Discovery has had one massive flaw from the beginning that it never really got over: with the exception of Saru I don't care what happens to these people. Which makes it weird how much more interesting smuggler couple are.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
m4a2000
Officer

Post by m4a2000 »

I am trying, oh so trying to like Discovery. Outside of Burnham I can name 5 other people on the show off top my head. I would have to look up everyone else. But we are FINALLY getting real looks at the bridge crew... And those regulars are now not in this episode or are being sent off to ferry another ship. COME ON!

The missteps just keep happening. On that I hate the shuttles of the 32nd century. The look is just wrong to me. Also the action scenes are just over done. I want to yell at the camera man at times. I am so sick of shallow focus and rocking cameras and spinning the camera. LET ME SEE WHAT IS HAPPENING!

Whatever tech, cough weapon cough, they find isn't going to be worth it I think.
It's OK to make mistakes as long as you don't make the same ones. If you do then you're not learning.