The Rise of Skywalker - Look What You Have Made

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Link8909
Captain

Re: The Rise of Skywalker - Look What You Have Made

Post by Link8909 »

Makeshift Python wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:29 am On that regard, I actually blame them all. The angry vocal fans that have been entitled since 1999, Abrams for his lack of imagination, and Disney for rushing the film instead of giving it the time it needed especially in light of Fisher's passing.

The original draft by Trevororo (however you spell his name) wasn't perfect but it at least felt like it was trying to aim for something new and could have been something to build off of. Instead Abrams threw it all away so he could just replay the beats of ROTJ and that IMO hurt the sequel trilogy far more than anything else.
Honestly, this is why I'm very forgiving when it comes to the current Star Trek series, they're not perfect and even I've talk about what they could have improved on, but right from the start each series has tried to be different from past Star Trek and do something new, whether it's a serialised story structured story with consequences like with Discovery and Picard, building upon and showing consequences to past events like in Picard, or showing a new side to the Star Trek universe like with Picard and lower Decks, or simply moving forward in the timeline and showing us a new era with new rules like with Picard and Discovery.

While season one of Discovery isn't perfect, I appreciate that it ripped the plaster off right away and wasn't going to live in nostalgia and the shadow of the series that came before, I dread to think was would have happened if after 12 years of waiting for new Trek, all we got was The Next Generation but with an unfamiliar cast and better effects, much like how The Next Generation was to The Original Series when that started, or if Picard was just season 8 of The Next Generation and was an entire season of "These Are the Voyages...".

Star Trek is able to do what Star Wars hasn't been willing to do from the start, move forward.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Link8909 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:56 am Star Trek is able to do what Star Wars hasn't been willing to do from the start, move forward.
Well that depends on what your definition of moving forward means, The Thrawn Trilogy and most of the original EU WAS moving the series forward and The Mandalorian IS set after TOT and the latter is all about following the fallout of TOT much like how TTT did.

Also it could be argued that both series were stuck in the past for a while given how much emphases both put on their respective Prequel stories. Hell, Trek only recently managed to move past its Prequel Era with Picard and Discovery's third season while Star Wars has started to move away from its own Prequel Era back when Disney bought the series and was already telling major stories post TOT with TTT, Jedi Academy and other such stories.

I will agree that TDST is just a retread of TOT but aside from that most SW stories have moved forward even if their set in the past.

And in regards to Trek, I have to agree with Linkara on this. I don't much care for Discovery. It honestly suffers a lot of the problems I had with TDST that I haven't covered as much, most notably, the over reliance of effects and nostalgia, giving to much focus to a character who, while not bad, isn't as good as the writers think she is and just the way the show is being filmed.

I really don't like how both TDST and Trek are directed as it always seems the show HAS to make every shot look like this big important event and it just gets exhausting after a while. One of the reasons I like the Mandalorian more is that it has more quite and calm moments. It has silly moments of Din just being an over protective dad and Grogu just being a kid.

One thing that's stuck out to me a lot is how Lightspeed is filmed in both series. With TDST and Trek as it is now it's all about making it look new and different then what we got before and making it look like this super cool and powerful thing and it just gets boring after a while.

The Mandalorian goes back to how Hyperspace was filmed before and even does that classic camera spin whenever a ship goes into hyperspace. Not everything needs to be filmed like it's an action scene sometimes simple holding on a shot and not trying to spin the camera every few minutes can be a good thing.

This is one of the reasons why Michael Bay's films have fallen out of popularity in recent years (besides all the other things) which is why when Bumblebee came out it was praised for how it was filmed because not every bloody shot was filmed like an action scene and there were one or two shots that actually filmed to help make a moment seem more calm and quite.

Star Wars is starting to return to this style while Trek is still trying to emulate the 09 film and it's no surprise that Beyond is gaining more and more popularity and it's the only Trek film/show that is shot to have more calm and laid back moments like when Kirk and Bones have a drink at the start of the film. We need more scenes like that and not what we're getting in every other series right now.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Tbh I don't blame Discovery for trying to be different from the other TV shows and trying to tie itself to the style of the Abrams Trek movies. I get that.

To me, that is moving forward. But Discovery doing what it's doing just doesn't feel like a Trek show or movie at all. It's basically moving from one serious problem to another each season.

I could ignore continuity issues if the series was laid out better. Don't need to a big bad issue every season.
I got nothing to say here.