Doctor Who specials (2023)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
stryke
Captain

Re: Doctor Who specials (2023)

Post by stryke »

Unfortunately they than speed ran driving the Weeping Angels into the ground. One great first appearance, one alright, and then you had the bloody Statue of Liberty walking around. Just awful.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

The Toymaker said he made a jigsaw out of the Doctor's life, I'm going to headcanon this as him messing around with the Doctor's timeline removing certain non-TV stories including the original comic version of The Star Beast and the other times the Doctor faced and beaten the Toymaker after their first game.
MightyDavidson
Officer

Post by MightyDavidson »

stryke wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:05 pm Unfortunately they than speed ran driving the Weeping Angels into the ground. One great first appearance, one alright, and then you had the bloody Statue of Liberty walking around. Just awful.
Especially for those of us who weren't terribly fond of the Weeping Angels in the first place.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

stryke wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:05 pm Unfortunately they than speed ran driving the Weeping Angels into the ground. One great first appearance, one alright, and then you had the bloody Statue of Liberty walking around. Just awful.
That was so dumb. Like, if Lady Liberty climbed down from her perch and started walking through New York Harbor and through Manhattan, every eye in the city would not immediately be on her?

And I don't get why the Doctor couldn't continue to travel with the Ponds. They would have a new home time, but he has a TIME MACHINE! The logic was knowing when they would die meant he could no longer interact with them, except he constantly interacts with people throughout history where the date of their deaths is common knowledge.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

UPDATE:

The consolidated rating for the second special, Wild Blue Yonder has reached 6.90 million, which means it is not the David Tennant episode with the worst audience rating as stated on this thread.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Surprising since it on disney plus which doesn't show the episode views.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Al-1701 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:13 am That was so dumb. Like, if Lady Liberty climbed down from her perch and started walking through New York Harbor and through Manhattan, every eye in the city would not immediately be on her?

And I don't get why the Doctor couldn't continue to travel with the Ponds. They would have a new home time, but he has a TIME MACHINE! The logic was knowing when they would die meant he could no longer interact with them, except he constantly interacts with people throughout history where the date of their deaths is common knowledge.
I don't get it either. Whole thing was so dumb that perhaps a new word needs to be defined as dumb on it's own just doesn't cover it.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

I think the problem is the writer just couldn't understand the idea of a companion just leaving the TARDIS and having a happy ending so needs to go and make it a tragedy due to fanboy tendencies.
Durandal_1707
Captain

Post by Durandal_1707 »

Since when is cheating the one thing the Toymaker won't do? I suffered through the reconstructions of the terrible original episode in preparation for watching this, and the Toymaker definitely did cheat during that blindfolded obstacle course game—his minions were moving the obstacles around when the Doctor's companions were up.
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

Al-1701 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:13 am
That was so dumb. Like, if Lady Liberty climbed down from her perch and started walking through New York Harbor and through Manhattan, every eye in the city would not immediately be on her?

Apparently, the Angels' farm for potential energy (the hotel) turned that era of NYC into a nearly impenetrable web of temporal instability that the TARDIS couldn't travel into. But RIVER could with her vortex manipulator ("Like a motorbike through traffic."). I can think of a few ways to get around that, but whatever.