Star Wars: Rogue One

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Ordo
Officer

Re: Star Wars: Rogue One

Post by Ordo »

In this instance, a small rebel force managed to steal important plans from a secure facility and are even now still able to make a run for it. Vader dosen't have the time to entrust this to troopers...thus his charge through the Rebel Mooks...one that came within a hair of succeeding. Later when he's captured the Tantive there is no need for him to personally lead the charge....the ships not going anywhere and thus he can leave it to the Troopers.
drthmik
Redshirt

Post by drthmik »

PerrySimm wrote:I could see Vader going on a few silly rampages in the years after Sith. But by A New Hope, everywhere he walks, he owns the place. No need for him to dirty his own hands, except when it comes to troublesome Jedi...
Kinda Disagree there a bit, In A New Hope Vader DOES dirty his hands, He could have sent all the prisoners to be interrogated by Pros and/or droids but he picks one up by the throat and when he lies Vader personally breaks him while looking him right in the eyes.
When Leia talks about Vader when she meets Tarkin she implies that he is like some bloodthirsty Junkyard Dog that must be Leashed by someone. Even in Empire he personally executes a subordinate and goes personally to capture Han and Leia, He didn't have to be there, it could have been a room full of Storm Troopers and a Lieutenant or something. Nope Vader wants things done right, so He does them Himself.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Dindu
Redshirt

Post by Dindu »

Way better than TFA, but that's not saying much. 7/10

In no order at all...

Great:
Real X-wings & classic pilots.
The new droid chap.
Vader kicking bottom.
Non-3W female hero.
Rebels cameos.
Absent romance plot.

Poor:
Vader's dialogue.
The spaceballs shield door.
Blind ninja's line delivery (excepting "Are you kidding?")
Death by plot irrelevance.
Overuse of Tarkin.
The TEP being intentionally open.
Irrelevant lost family plot.
Pouting Imperials.
Heist members without purpose.
Daniel Mays.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I don't know if anyone gives a shit, but here is the "How it Should have Ended" for the movie.

https://youtu.be/RjR71XpAu0I
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

You know, I was thinking during the movie that the components of Chirrut's staff might have been components of a lightsaber.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only person thinking that :)
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
drthmik
Redshirt

Post by drthmik »

Sup Newbs...
All Too Easy
term+missabern17
Redshirt

Post by term+missabern17 »

Rocketboy1313 wrote:I hated this movie. And I think I might be alone on this aside from my brother whom I watched it with.

I went in with zero expectations, as I thought the trailers were cheesy even by the standards of "Star Wars" "Rebellions are built on hope!" "I rebel". Bleh...

I left the theater unable to recall anyone's name, wondering why characters did the things they did, baffled at the performance of Forest Whitaker, baffled at the opening sequence taking place a decade before anything else and adding nothing to the characters.

The only point I put in its favor was the final space battle. That was fun, but I hated everything else, and the more I have thought about it the more I have disliked it. I don't even understand how people like it, they seem to list several things that stood out to them (like Darth Vader effortlessly killing a bunch of nameless mooks) as positives, and I point to those same things as negatives. I am left shrugging my shoulders.
Couldn't have said it better myself. The whole plot was a mess; the characters were at best tedious but tolerable; at worst contradicting themselves within five minutes. And there was no payoff; they all die. The end. I left the theater...scratching my head wondering what the point of even making that unforgettable two hours of nothing was. The obvious answer was money.

I'm still perplexed at how much people love this movie.
Dindu
Redshirt

Post by Dindu »

aside from my brother whom I watched it with.
"You ended that sentence with a preposition, you bastard..."
Col. J O'Niell (With two 'L's)