Upcoming Films

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
GandALF
Officer

Re: Upcoming Films

Post by GandALF »

Does he have to be so Palpatine-ish? Rhyming isn't repetition.
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

GandALF wrote:Does he have to be so Palpatine-ish? Rhyming isn't repetition.
When did Palpatine wear Gold robes....or prove to be about as tall as a Basketball player?
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Ordo wrote:
GandALF wrote:Does he have to be so Palpatine-ish? Rhyming isn't repetition.
When did Palpatine wear Gold robes....or prove to be about as tall as a Basketball player?
He didn't, but Snoke is a deformed old man in robes. Its still pretty similar compared to this guy:

With a title like Supreme Leader, they're clearly echoing North Korea, why not have him wear a uniform a with a few too many medals or something?
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

BB-9E....but on set it was called BB-H8.
Fixer
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Fixer »

60km in length or in width?

Because the latter would make it more than 3 times as wide as the Executor was long. The former would make it larger than the Death Star.

This feels like they're just trying too hard with First Order :roll:
Thread ends here. Cut along dotted line.
------8<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

Fixer wrote:60km in length or in width?

Because the latter would make it more than 3 times as wide as the Executor was long. The former would make it larger than the Death Star.

That's kinda the point with the First Order though. Their whole shtick is "We're like the Empire but BIGGER and more AWESOME!" I would legit be impressed if by the end of the Trilogy the heroes end up winning the day not just because of skill and determination, but also with a little help from the First Order managing to collapse under it's own weight. I will give the next move mad props if someone openly suggests that the First Order is in danger of using up all it's resources before the war is even over.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Arkle wrote:

That's kinda the point with the First Order though. Their whole shtick is "We're like the Empire but BIGGER and more AWESOME!" I would legit be impressed if by the end of the Trilogy the heroes end up winning the day not just because of skill and determination, but also with a little help from the First Order managing to collapse under it's own weight. I will give the next move mad props if someone openly suggests that the First Order is in danger of using up all it's resources before the war is even over.
I would argue that since the 'Supremacy' is Snoke's flag ship (and mobile Shipyard/HQ) that the First Order is much more mobile than the old Empire. In fact I'm guessing they use planetary facilities as little as possible.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Arkle wrote:

I'd hazard a guess and suggest, that this is just more of the usual not-understanding-scale idiocy that writers are suffering from so often. Not in the least based on Abrams having a trek-record of being stupid about sizes.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Ordo
Officer

Post by Ordo »

Madner Kami wrote: I'd hazard a guess and suggest, that this is just more of the usual not-understanding-scale idiocy that writers are suffering from so often. Not in the least based on Abrams having a trek-record of being stupid about sizes.
I feel I should point out that this movie was written by Rian Johnson, not Abrams.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Ordo wrote:Image
Are you serious? After, Imperial, Venator and Executor, the next class is called Mega. Seriously? You couldn't have just used the ship name as the class name?
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu