Spider-Man: Far From Home Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Spider-Man: Far From Home Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Post by Winter »

So I just got to see Spider-Man: Far From Home and I enjoyed it, solid action, good performances, decent comedy, Peter and MJ are just adorable and The MCU continues with it's winning streak of Good Villains with Mysterio. I will admit though that most of the comedy didn't really hit the landing for me, the "Love Triangle" between Peter, MJ and whatshisname just dragged the whole film to a halt EVERY SINGLE TIME IT CAME UP!!! And while Peter, MJ and Mysterio are all great the rest of the characters were just weren't interesting to me.

Also the film really doesn't work as the Epilogue for the Infinity Stone Saga despite what Marvel and Sony say otherwise and the film came out WAAAY to soon after Endgame. I think it would have been better if the film was released next year to give us all some time to really recover from the events of Endgame.

But again, Peter and MJ are great and who here really thinks Mysterio is gone for good? So in the end I do recommend it but I don't think it's as great as it could have been.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Post by Steve »

IIRC Sony is insisting on bi-annual Spider-Man movies since they still get to do the distribution. But even if I'm wrong, I think this movie coming now works as a coda to "Endgame". Although I agree that the teeny romance love-triangle bit was annoying, save for the London scene where MJ throws her other potential suitor's attempt to badmouth Peter back in his face and turns the entire group on him. That was fun.

The rest of the movie worked and worked well. And the post-credits scene involving Nick has me thinking we're in for some fun when we get to the next group of movies.
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Steve wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:26 am Although I agree that the teeny romance love-triangle bit was annoying, save for the London scene where MJ throws her other potential suitor's attempt to badmouth Peter back in his face and turns the entire group on him. That was fun.
Yeah I liked that bit too. This MJ is, at the moment, by favorite interpretation of Mary Jane. She's flawed but still a good person, she's smart without making others look stupid and she's just fun to watch. Plus Zendaya and Tom Holland have some fantastic chemistry and I hope we get to see even more of these two interacting.

Also, and I have no idea what everyone's else's opinion on him is but, I hope we see less of Ned in the next couple of films. I don't hate him but he honestly feels like a add on. MJ works into Peter's character and his development while having her own character which is fun to watch.

But Ned? His whole "Character" seems to be based on being a joke and 2 films in we've learned Nothing about him. We've learned more about MJ in her first two minutes of FFH then we have about Ned in the entire series.

Then again, I guess I might just dislike Ned because he reminded a lot of Jonah from Tomb Raider who suffers similar issues and is honestly less interesting then Lara's other friend/possible love interest Samantha Nishimura.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

I actually kinda didn't like this movie. I wasn't even planning on seeing it, but then I read the movie's synopsis on Wikipedia and there was talk of J.K. Simmons in the mid-credits sequence so I went to check that out.

My biggest core gripe, story-wise, is that Beck's plan to acquire E.D.I.T.H. required a lot of things out of his control to go perfectly right. He couldn't just swipe it when Peter wasn't looking, as it wouldn't respond to him, Peter had to specifically and willfully relinquish control, and I didn't buy that he'd so quickly parse Tony's note into "give away this EXTREMELY POWERFUL weapon to someone else, like someone you've known for less than a few days". That was a really dumb move for Peter, who's supposed to be smart enough to not be that dumb. Okay so he's young and naive and misses his Stark-dad, but still.

If, perhaps, Mysterio had suggested or induced the idea that they'd be better off with someone else and Peter considered it and concluded, "Well, maybe it'd be better off that way," I could give it a bit more slack in this department, but as far as the subterfuge plan goes, the first time Beck sees E.D.I.T.H. (at least as far as Peter knows) is when the waitress picks it up off the floor and gives it back to Peter. And then Peter comes up with, "Wait...I should give it to YOU!" all on his own with no prompting, and furthermore over Beck's repeated (even if insincere) refusals.

And it might be just me, but every time they went for humor or romance I got absolutely nothing out of the experience. No chuckles or awwws, and when they're kissing at the end, I'm more thinking about how the blazing fire on the tire of that overturned car next to them is probably blowing some rather stinky fumes in their faces.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

So based on this Far From Home is worth watching. Do I need to watch Homecoming before this one to understand MCU Spider-Man since I haven't seen that one?
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

I wouldn't say you NEED to, but it would help a lot (and I'd recommend watching Homecoming even separate from the fact that Far From Home is out now).
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

I rather enjoyed Far From Home. It probably ranks about third out of all the spider-man movies made so far, with Into the Spider-Verse and Raimi's Spider-Man 2 in the first and second spots respectively.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

I find it interesting that Raimi's SM2 still gets love after all these years considering how easily Spider-Man fandom tends to jump to what is currently newest version. That said I also still like it so I am rather happy that there is still others that share that love for Raimi's SM2 with me.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Mecha82 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:39 pm I find it interesting that Raimi's SM2 still gets love after all these years considering how easily Spider-Man fandom tends to jump to what is currently newest version. That said I also still like it so I am rather happy that there is still others that share that love for Raimi's SM2 with me.
Because Tobey Maguire is the best Spider-Man, Kirsten Dunst is the best MJ and thingy is awesome as J Jonah. Meanwhile Amazing Spider-Man was as average as a teaspoon.
Of course it still gets much love.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
LavarosVA
Officer

Post by LavarosVA »

clearspira wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:20 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:39 pm I find it interesting that Raimi's SM2 still gets love after all these years considering how easily Spider-Man fandom tends to jump to what is currently newest version. That said I also still like it so I am rather happy that there is still others that share that love for Raimi's SM2 with me.
Because Tobey Maguire is the best Spider-Man, Kirsten Dunst is the best MJ and thingy is awesome as J Jonah. Meanwhile Amazing Spider-Man was as average as a teaspoon.
Of course it still gets much love.
For me, Tom Holland wins out in terms of Spider-Man/Peter Parker portrayal. Both Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire are good at different aspects of him, for Garfield, it's the Spider-Man part, but for Maguire, it's the Peter Parker part.

Now if only Garfields Spider-Man were in good movies.