Most Disturbing "Human" moments you have seen/read

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Most Disturbing "Human" moments you have seen/read

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:38 am Where Obi-Wan lets Anakin burn. It's not even like he couldn't reach to him, with the Emperor's shuttle closing down on him, like the novel stated. No, it's that he just... preaches to him, and then fails in his mission to end Vader and relieve Anakin's suffering. LOL
I just don't understand how someone could be so cavalier.
Nealithi wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:35 pm Off topic. But what is the blue triangle with an exclamation mark in it for? Or mean?
It's just an icon you can choose to stylize your post. Every time you're at the full posting editor you can use one, whether starting a thread or just replying.
Power laces... alright.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Thank you.
ORCACommander
Officer

Post by ORCACommander »

this is the most disturbing thing i have ever read.
https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/all-the-little-lost-boys-and-girls.309013/page-5#post-40972198

For context, The POV character, Shannon is of a culture that socially conditions itself for extreme pacifism and its also implied genetic tinkering to enhance that effect.
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

What dangers may involve/ the various users on this site letting lose their safety-belts. Basically be as inhuman as you can or defend when the topic at hand is something you care/uncare for.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

King Green wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:36 am What dangers may involve/ the various users on this site letting lose their safety-belts. Basically be as inhuman as you can or defend when the topic at hand is something you care/uncare for.
...And you will know that my name is the lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
Power laces... alright.
Beelzquill
Officer

Post by Beelzquill »

I saw a Serbian Film. God help me.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:03 pm
Yukaphile wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:38 am Where Obi-Wan lets Anakin burn. It's not even like he couldn't reach to him, with the Emperor's shuttle closing down on him, like the novel stated. No, it's that he just... preaches to him, and then fails in his mission to end Vader and relieve Anakin's suffering. LOL
I just don't understand how someone could be so cavalier.
Nealithi wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:35 pm Off topic. But what is the blue triangle with an exclamation mark in it for? Or mean?
It's just an icon you can choose to stylize your post. Every time you're at the full posting editor you can use one, whether starting a thread or just replying.
And this is reason 2356 why people hate the Prequels as it turns Obi Wan into a sociopath.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Indeed. Novel at least explained it. Prequels really hurt the Jedi badly.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Yukaphile wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:21 pm Indeed. Novel at least explained it. Prequels really hurt the Jedi badly.
It's hard to remember now, but the depiction of the Jedi in the prequels was very different from the nature of them implied by the OT.

There are a lot of little examples, but one of the easiest is "they all wore the desert robes that Obi-Wan wore while in hiding". It's not really consequential like some of the rest, but it shows the sort of things that can get twisted when you base a fictional history on the popular elements of what "happened" later.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, it had been almost 20 years since the original trilogy, and Lucas's views and feelings had changed a lot, based on 20 years of nonstop worship. And having promised a prequel trilogy, then just sort of half-assed it. No wonder fans felt cheated. Back in those days, it was about Asimov, Frank Herbert, Kurosawa, and so much else.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords