Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I actually like how Michael is obsessed with the Burn and no one else really cares. It's her obsession say with, "How did the Spanish American War start!"

Or, to be more apt, "Who started the nuclear war in Fallout? America or China!"

The Admiral is like, "It was a 150 years ago! Who cares!"
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 am I actually like how Michael is obsessed with the Burn and no one else really cares. It's her obsession say with, "How did the Spanish American War start!"

Or:

youtu.be/vzrDpj6M1ig

But seriously, I also like that Michael is the only one that really wants to uncover the Burn, and I do hope that when she does she finds that it was an accident of random chance, or that there's no way to reverse the Burn, or there's no sinister villain to be vanquished or blamed, and that the real way to heal the galaxy is with helping people and uniting them.

She's on the right track with the Federation being more than ships and territory, and that it's a belief that anyone can have, but I feel that her obsession with the Burn is preventing her from helping in a way that matters, I get why she's obsessed, but she really needs to let go and move forward.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Asvarduil wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:49 pm With that said, the reason I dislike Burnham even with the counterweights in the rest of the cast including Mirror Georgiou, is that being "better than Archer" isn't really good enough. I'm OK with my main characters having flaws, like Sisko* or Janeway, but provided that the good in them outweighs their flaws. I want an aspirational main character who is actively working to overcome their flaws.

Burnham is not aspirational. Her stupidity, self-righteousness, and lack of self-awareness ensure that she hasn't learned her lessons, and is unlikely to, about going rogue/throwing Burnham Fastball Specials. Burnham isn't working to overcome her flaws. At any given time, she's convinced she's right about whatever she's set her mind on, thus causing her to not learn her lessons. Burnham has now gotten herself penalized for going rogue twice, the first time after causing a war that got thousands of people killed, the second for a more justifiable and moral reason, but still for a relatively minor benefit that doesn't fulfill anyone's immediate needs.

Burnham is someone who, if someone else said, "I want to be like her!", I would immediately start keeping a very close eye on and coordinating a social response with friends to temper their worst tendencies.
This I honestly get, and while there are consequences to Burnham's actions, the fact that she is is repeating similar actions that lead to the death of her Captain and her Court-Martial is annoying, the fact that Captain Saru even bring this fact up is another reason that she should have learned this lesson.

I do get why she's obsessed with the Burn and how that can lead her to these actions, but after this she really needs to take a hard look at herself and try to be better, we'll have to wait for the next episode to see if she does.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Zatman
Officer

Post by Zatman »

Link8909 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:31 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:07 am I actually like how Michael is obsessed with the Burn and no one else really cares. It's her obsession say with, "How did the Spanish American War start!"

Or:

youtu.be/vzrDpj6M1ig

But seriously, I also like that Michael is the only one that really wants to uncover the Burn, and I do hope that when she does she finds that it was an accident of random chance, or that there's no way to reverse the Burn, or there's no sinister villain to be vanquished or blamed, and that the real way to heal the galaxy is with helping people and uniting them.

She's on the right track with the Federation being more than ships and territory, and that it's a belief that anyone can have, but I feel that her obsession with the Burn is preventing her from helping in a way that matters, I get why she's obsessed, but she really needs to let go and move forward.
My hope is that the burn is natural, but her relentless search for data reveals either that it won't happen again, or that there's a way of protecting against it. This would mean there wouldn't be a "flip" meaning if it were artificial, people would just start trusting dilithium again once the issue is sorted. Maybe not overnight, but it might be easier. Whereas if it's natural and able to be protected against, it will take time for people to trust the technology again.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Zatman wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:02 pm My hope is that the burn is natural, but her relentless search for data reveals either that it won't happen again, or that there's a way of protecting against it. This would mean there wouldn't be a "flip" meaning if it were artificial, people would just start trusting dilithium again once the issue is sorted. Maybe not overnight, but it might be easier. Whereas if it's natural and able to be protected against, it will take time for people to trust the technology again.
Indeed, I also hope that if it's revealed that the Burn cannot be undone and dilithium remains scarce, that the Spore Drive will be mass produced and becomes the new means of propulsion and will help rebuild the Federation.

- Jean-Luc Picard
tjfd88
Redshirt

Post by tjfd88 »

I get the feeling that the primary reason that Michael is interested in what caused the Burn is that she's afraid that her and/or her mother and/or Discovery's time-traveling might have accidentally caused it. Before she moves on in this future she has to be assured that she was not the cause of it.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

tjfd88 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 am I get the feeling that the primary reason that Michael is interested in what caused the Burn is that she's afraid that her and/or her mother and/or Discovery's time-traveling might have accidentally caused it. Before she moves on in this future she has to be assured that she was not the cause of it.
Great, their going to do that now.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

tjfd88 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:03 am I get the feeling that the primary reason that Michael is interested in what caused the Burn is that she's afraid that her and/or her mother and/or Discovery's time-traveling might have accidentally caused it. Before she moves on in this future she has to be assured that she was not the cause of it.
I can see that, Michael is a responsibility hoarder, even if they're things out of her control.

- Jean-Luc Picard
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Well, for better or worse the show still appears to be centered Burnham. I think it's moving away from Burnham-dominated to just Burnham-centered.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

I do love how Saru and Tilly are in-universe just done with Michael's bullshit.