Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Link8909
Captain

Re: Star Trek Dsicovery: Season Three

Post by Link8909 »

Asvarduil wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 am
clearspira wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 pmI'll say it before and i'll say it again: successful shows do not get rebooted, and season 3 of STD is a reboot of the show in all but name.
First: In bold, I think you've got a temporal paradox there. ;) I won't tell the 32nd century Federation if you don't!

Second: By that logic, that means Star Trek: TOS wasn't successful, as it got rebooted.
I'm honestly don't feel that season three is reboot to begin with, at least not a traditional one as the events of the past two season are still referred to and even play major parts in season threes story, it feels more like what Deep Space Nine did back with "The Way of the Warrior" and is more of a second pilot and a jumping on point for new viewers.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Asvarduil wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:51 am
clearspira wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:24 pmI'll say it before and i'll say it again: successful shows do not get rebooted, and season 3 of STD is a reboot of the show in all but name.
First: In bold, I think you've got a temporal paradox there. ;) I won't tell the 32nd century Federation if you don't!

Second: By that logic, that means Star Trek: TOS wasn't successful, as it got rebooted.
TOS was a massive failure. It's ratings were so low that it was going to be cancelled after season 2. And its fanbase? Were they respected for being followers of a long lost great show? No. They were insulted for decades.

TNG and TWOK saved Star Trek. TOS alone would now be thought of today in the same way people think of Space 1999.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:18 am Successful shows do not get rebooted and DISCO is not a successful show despite getting a fourth season, spin-offs, and being the flagship of their streaming service.

That's the argument here?
Yeah, I don't get it either.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:35 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:18 am Birds of Prey was awesome and you take that back.
Birds of Prey failed financially. And it managed that by going full feminist by doing such brainy moves as telling guys (who make up the bulk of the market for this genre) that they are sexist pigs if they like a bit of ass.
While not as successful as say a Marvel film, as Birds of Prey is somewhat obscure to general film goers and the film was targeted toward adult viewers, I'd say it did pretty well, it just didn't make all the money that people online think is the only way to measure success, and that doesn't really translate into whether one personally enjoys something or not, and I feel that is more important than how much money of views something makes or has.

- Jean-Luc Picard
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Link8909 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:49 am
CharlesPhipps wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:18 am Successful shows do not get rebooted and DISCO is not a successful show despite getting a fourth season, spin-offs, and being the flagship of their streaming service.

STD having a fourth season being a sign of success means that you first have to explain to me why ENT's fourth season killing off the franchise for years isn't also a sign of success.

And actually, one thing I didn't think of in my last comment, when we say ''spin-offs'' what are we talking about here? The Short Trek's? Those things that use the same actors, crew and sets as the main show and thus are basically just filler episodes by a fancy name? Oh, yeah. True success is indeed measured by a spin-off that literally required no more effort to put out than the main product itself *sarcasm*
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:35 pm
Link8909 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:49 am

Star Trek Discovery having a fourth season being a sign of success means that you first have to explain to me why ENT's fourth season killing off the franchise for years isn't also a sign of success.

And actually, one thing I didn't think of in my last comment, when we say ''spin-offs'' what are we talking about here? The Short Trek's? Those things that use the same actors, crew and sets as the main show and thus are basically just filler episodes by a fancy name? Oh, yeah. True success is indeed measured by a spin-off that literally required no more effort to put out than the main product itself *sarcasm*
With Enterprise it basically came down to the franchise becoming stagnant, after continuing on the TNG formula for over two decades thanks to Rick Berman, Star Trek desperately needed to shake things up and try something new, and Enterprise had that opportunity with its premise, but squandered it or poorly executed it, and it was only by the third season that they got around to doing something unique and interesting, but the damage was done and barely got renewed because of the first two seasons problems and people just not being interested, as well as the burnout on the creative teams part after so long of writing Star Trek with the limitations that Rick Berman set.

Now however and much like when Star Trek (2009) came out, the franchise has been given a new lease of life, Star Trek is now taking risks again and trying new things, not just with thing like Star Trek Discovery serialized story telling, but the spinoffs like Star Trek Picard, Star Trek Lower Decks, and the upcoming Star Trek Strange New Worlds and other projects in development, as well as the Short Treks, there is no way series like these would have been green light with Rick Berman in charge.

- Jean-Luc Picard
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Remember one thing, we're no longer in the peak age of cable TV. Would STD do as well back then? Or STP? Because while the fanbase is willing to wait it out, they also are willing to meet the creators halfway if they feel the respect in the work, even if it's subpar.

And you can feel the disrespect from a lot of strutting Hollywood egotists in today's entertainment climate, who don't make it for the fans anymore, but themselves. The call-outs to toxic fandom seem so insulated from the actual criticisms by said fans, that it's just two-way communication fails all around and nothing gets accomplished which I have to admit, could be the intent to the vain and narcissistic peacocks running the show over the media we absorb. Deflect and blame your customers to avoid taking responsibility for your own failures. There's a winning strategy!

In conclusion, I suspect STD and STP wouldn't get this far back in the cable era, or at least would have enough edits to conform to the continuity of that age that it would render the issues we debate today moot. So, being a success of the streaming age might not mean the success of the cable age, and a lot more hallmarks of geek culture hail from the cable age. Now it's just checkboxes to try and appeal to as many people worldwide as possible, hence the shallow, fake diversity they act like they reinvented. Please. :roll:
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:35 am

Basically, to loop this back to Discovery, I think that that several high profile failures in recent years of these films led by these perfect female characters (Ghostbusters, Charlie's Angels, Birds of Prey, the latter Terminator films, Mulan) has started to slowly show writers that maybe there is a reason why people hated Jesus!Burnham apart from being dirty, dirty sexists. I'll say it before and i'll say it again: successful shows do not get rebooted, and season 3 of STD is a reboot of the show in all but name.
Birds of Prey was awesome and you take that back.
Ent got four seasons and was so successful it... ended the franchise for a decade until it was restarted with a reboot.

Birds of Prey failed financially. And it managed that by going full feminist by doing such brainy moves as telling guys (who make up the bulk of the market for this genre) that they are sexist pigs if they like a bit of ass.
Yeah if your trying to make money off of a project don't say 'you no like you no watch.'
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

Oh, yea, yet another episode where the whole universe revolves around super special goddess Micheal Burnium. Just rename the show Star Wars: Goddess Micheal all ready.

So The Micheal goes to not Vulcan....and her mom is just randomly there AND is a member of that dumb Romulan "lost cause" sect. My god, what bad writing: "Oh mom, of course you are here as the universe does revolve around me!"

Tilly as first officer is beyond dumb. She does not have the maturity or experience or anything else. Though I guess when you have the worst non captain ever, you want the worst non first officer ever too.

It's too bad that Discovery does not have a crew of main character officers. You know, like a normal show would have. Then not the captain Saru would just promote his third officer. For example on the Enterprise D, if Riker was an idiot like Micheal, then Data would have been made First Officer. Maybe that nameless blonde non character might be a Lt. Commander? We saw her take command of the bridge a couple times.

The focus on finding "the cause of the Burn" is feeling more dumb. If it was an accident, then finding that out would be pointless. If it was an attack...well, it sure was a dumb one: they attacked, and then what? Went home? Though the worst might be if it was.....sign....."Galaxy Warming": Because everyone used too much Dilith-Oil (wink wink). Only if everyone in Star Trek would have used wind and solar power.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

clearspira wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:35 pmSTD having a fourth season being a sign of success means that you first have to explain to me why ENT's fourth season killing off the franchise for years isn't also a sign of success.
Your logic just defeated itself. DISCO has expanded Star Trek and revived it on television.

So, by your logic, it's a huge success.

Jesus, clearspira, this needs to be said. Please....CAN YOU JUST HATE THE SHOW? Stop trying to argue it's a bomb, just say it sucks!

No one will blame you for it!