Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Discovery: Season Three

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Alright. Got me some CBS AA. Gonna start watching S3 soon. What I miss?
Power laces... alright.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:36 pm Grey being made a hologram was odd. The Symbiotes are supposed to hold the memories of their past hosts, but it seems like Grey is a consciousness in there. I'll take it because I like Grey and this is Trek where they do things like this cuz. It also opens up an interesting opportunity for the Trill in their Symbiotes. They could use holoprojectors to manifest a past host for better interaction.
Indeed, this does remind me of the Deep Space Nine episode "Facets" where Jadzia goes through a Trill ritual and the crew have her past Hosts memories out into them so she can interact with them, and the episode "Field of Fire" where Ezri deliberately brings out Joran, and I love that Discovery has built on those elements of Trill culture with Gray.
Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:36 pm Osyraa dies by blind headshot. Too good fer um, I say. And I wonder how long Michael found herself hocking up computer core. Programmable matter is fun, but probably not all that tasty.
I said in an older post that there's another constant thing in season three, and it's Burnham must suffer, and we can add being submerged in Programmable Matter and basically nearly drowning to this list.
Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:36 pm And turbolift shafts are, interesting. Clearly, it was a set piece for the fight and I prefer the narrow shafts of other series. Though, we got to see they do travel horizontally.
I personally never cared much for Discovery's interpretation of the Turbolift Shafts, as it makes the ship look far bigger than it's suppose to be, and I also prefer the inclosed tubes, in-fact I'd say that would have been a more intense fight sequence if the doors were open in an inclosed tube as one wrong move would have someone meeting a very quick, tragic and bloody end.
Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:36 pm So, Book can talk to the spores as an empath. I'll take it. Though, we now know why the spore drive is not going to become common technology. With no tardigrades around, they can't make new navigators. Book's people might be able to run them, but I suspect it's only a small number with empathic abilities that could do it. Fortunately they have a big hunk of dilithium to try to find other solutions.
I like this, while I'd have liked for the Dilithium scarcity to have remained, the potential for conflict now the Federation has a monopoly on it will be interesting for future seasons, and it will be interesting to see more of Books people and if there is conflict there, like maybe a future baddy steals the Spore Drive plans and forces them to operate it?
Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:36 pm I wouldn't count out the Chain. It might have dissolved (likely broken apart between factions wanting to rejoin the Federation and those who do not) but a wounded animal is far more dangerous. We could see radical factions attack less like an enemy state, but an insurgency. Now, that would be a hook.
I'd also like to see the return of the Emerald Chain, and I was hoping that they and Osyraa would be Discovery's own reoccurring big bad.

If there's one time I'd be fine with a retcon, it would be to say that Osyraa was just stunned and taken into custody, only to break out, she was an interesting villain and I personally feel that it was ashamed that she was killed off.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Or perhaps someone new picks up the pieces who refuse to rejoin the Federation and vow revenge on the Federation, Discovery, and Michael. And with the source of dilithium being a single point, you know piracy is going to be at an all time high. The galaxy is returning to civilization, but many times these journeys are an extremely bumpy road.
Link8909
Captain

Post by Link8909 »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:22 pm Or perhaps someone new picks up the pieces who refuse to rejoin the Federation and vow revenge on the Federation, Discovery, and Michael. And with the source of dilithium being a single point, you know piracy is going to be at an all time high. The galaxy is returning to civilization, but many times these journeys are an extremely bumpy road.
Indeed, I'm really looking forward to season four as the story and characters could go anywhere at this point.
"I think, when one has been angry for a very long time, one gets used to it. And it becomes comfortable like…like old leather. And finally… it becomes so familiar that one can't remember feeling any other way."

- Jean-Luc Picard