So, She-Ra is getting a Live Action Adaptation... This Should be Interesting :)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Re: So, She-Ra is getting a Live Action Adaptation... This Should be Interesting :)

Post by Draco Dracul »

Can't say I especially care as live action adaptations of cartoons pretty much always suck. I think the only one I've seen that wasn't total garbage was George of the Jungle.
PerrySimm
Captain

Re: So, She-Ra is getting a Live Action Adaptation... This Should be Interesting :)

Post by PerrySimm »

At least, She-Ra live-action will likely end up looking better than live-action ATLA.

Just thinking from a production level, She-Ra is so much more traditional of a show. You can still get away with well-built sets and props for a lot of the look and action to get the full TRON/Dr. Robotnik type looks of Hordak's base and She-Ra's temples. Now, you do have a fair number of magic princesses on the side that are going the chew through green screen and CG budgets, a fair number of battles to do on location, but there's a lot of episodes that can be done entirely on set and without a lot of added graphics.

ATLA's only advantage is the main cast is smaller, though it still has a lot of recurring roles. But it is very much a "road show" with major variance in its locales. So either you're on location or you're just always in front of a greenscreen. No "bottle episode" options that do justice to the material. Unless Paramount really pours on the budget, I feel that quality or runtime will suffer.

Add in the fact that they're not planning to retell the She-Ra story from Princesses of Power, and hands-down you've got a winner (productonwise at least). People have a reason to come watch She-Ra, while ATLA just gets dunked on because it's not the same.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

So the way I look at it, it's like a Wonder Woman the TV series based on the look of the movies. Not the garbage CW likes to put out.
I got nothing to say here.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Wait the linda carter one?
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:44 pm Wait the linda carter one?
I don't think anyone would want to use Pants to be Darkened as source of inspiration.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Winter wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:24 pm
I don't think anyone would want to use Pants to be Darkened as source of inspiration.
You would think but with a couple of the CW shows it might be the case.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Maybe I should be clearer. A TV show based off the Gal Gadot Wonder Woman in terms of look.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:03 pm I can't think of any live action adaptation of an animated show that was good. Even the original live action Turtles movie doesn't really hold up. As much as I loved the show, can't get any real enthusiasm going.
Paddington was fantastic. I disagree on the first Ninja Turtles film, I think it holds up though it has aged obviously. The Scooby Doo movies caught the tone and feel pretty well though the first one was mangled by executive meddling. Robin Williams Popeye. Adams Family is beloved. Battle Angel Alita was fantastic and close to the source material. The most recent Transformers movie, Bumblebee was allright. The Japanese version of live action Death Note was great but the english version sucked. Men in Black. Speed Racer is divisive but it was a very solid adaptation of the cartoon. Jackie Chan's City Hunter was originally an anime. (There's actually quite a lot of live action adaptations of anime, mileage varies but some are pretty solid... particularly the romantic comedy sorts.) Rurouni Kenshin in particular was great.

The Tick worked surprisingly well as a live action show. A lot of the Archie stuff has carried over to live action in multiple forms.

Of all things, Dora the Explorer actually had a pretty funny movie for the kiddos, largely because it was hyper self aware of how the source material was.

Alllll the superhero movies, where you draw the line between Flash Gordon and Superman and Spiderman and Blade is up to you.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I actually still like the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. Obviously, the look of the turtles looks nothing like real turtles but their look in the show and the comics.

Honestly the movie is a bit dark too.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

McAvoy wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:04 am I actually still like the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie. Obviously, the look of the turtles looks nothing like real turtles but their look in the show and the comics.

Honestly the movie is a bit dark too.
On a similar note I actually really enjoyed the live-action Speed Racer movie as it did, IMO, really capture the spirit of the anime and the Alita live-action film was also pretty solid. And yes, I also enjoyed the TMNT film (the first one at least) and still watch it whenever I get the chance.

Live-actions versions of animated series can work so long as the people behind it have the passion and talent to back it up. Though again that's not what I'm interested in as I'm more interested to see how much of the Reboot makes it into said live-action series. If it's good that would just be a plus but I want to know how much the lore of the series will change as time goes on.