So, She-Ra is getting a Live Action Adaptation... This Should be Interesting :)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

So, She-Ra is getting a Live Action Adaptation... This Should be Interesting :)

Post by Winter »

I just found out about this and I have to admit I'm curious to see where this version of She-Ra goes. I've mentioned before that I'm wondered what impact the Princesses of Power would have on both He-Man series as a whole and any and all She-Ra versions moving forward. I think the most notable impact of She-Ra is in how much He-Man and She-Ra we're getting after the show ended as, contrary to what some may claim, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power was a HUGE hit. Critics and Audience like song the praises of the show and as such revitalized interesting in the He-Man series as a whole as evident by teh series having not one or two but THREE shows released in a short time after Princesses of Power ended.

And in just in terms of the first one released, Masters of the Universe: Revelations, it clearly took some inspiration from She-Ra's second reboot with a greater emphases on drama and some pretty blatant LGBT teasing with Teela and Andra. But the upcoming live action She-Ra show is what I want to focus on as I'm interested to know how much it will borrow from the 2018 series. Namely, just how gay is this show going to be?

Catradora is, without a doubt, the single most popular ship in the He-Man fandom right now. Go to any fan site and look at either He-Man or She-Ra and BOTH have Catradora as the most popular ship. Yes, even on He-Man fics Catradora is the ship that will be listed at the top with Glimbow in second place and Adam and Teela in third place. And that's not getting into the other LGBT characters in this show which is, like, ALL of them. The Non-Binary Double Trouble, the lesbian couple Netossa and Spinnerella, Bow's gay dads and everyone. Everyone in this show is on the LGBT spectrum because, as Stevenson themselves said, "Assume every character I write is gay until stated otherwise".

Will it be as gay, no idea but I would be shocked if, at the very least, Catra and Adora don't end up together given how the two are not only the most popular ship in the series but also a major step forward for LGBT representation. It be like if someone was making a live-action adaptation of The Legend of Korra's entire series and cut out Asami, it's not really something that would go over well with the fans and LGBT community.

Now, I'm not saying the show HAS to be gay or that Catra and Adora HAVE to end up together I'm honestly just speaking from a marketing standpoint. The vast majority of viewers coming over to watch this series are going to be mostly from the She-Ra reboot and that's a pretty big fandom and most of them are going to be comparing this live action series to the one they fell in love with. And you may not have noticed this, but fans tend to be VERY VOCAL about something they love. I will judge this series on it's own merits and do my best not to compare it to the reboot but I'm the weird fan and while most fans are just people the loud minority tend to be the ones that draw the most attention and it usually a good idea to not give said fans to much ammo.

So, from a marketing standpoint, as the series is the most popular of the He-Man/She-Ra series (yes it is) it would be a smart move to at least have some elements from the reboot in the show. Again, I will judge it on it's own merits and I'm curious regardless and wish the creators of the new show the best of luck, I truly do.

I mean, no matter what we still have the reboot which is still great and this show isn't going to take that away or anything and to paraphrase Brows Held High, "Anyone can remake anything, and you know what, they should. Stories gain power through their retelling and are owned by no one."
clearspira
Overlord

Re: So, She-Ra is getting a Live Action Adaptation... This Should be Interesting :)

Post by clearspira »

I just can't wait for it to change something massive that pisses the reboot fans off, and I get to sit here and say ''that's what it feels like to have a cartoon you love get destroyed.''
The schadenfreude is potentially strong in this one.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Winter
Captain

Re: So, She-Ra is getting a Live Action Adaptation... This Should be Interesting :)

Post by Winter »

clearspira wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 am I just can't wait for it to change something massive that pisses the reboot fans off, and I get to sit here and say ''that's what it feels like to have a cartoon you love get destroyed.''
How would some fans getting pissed off destroy a series? I've never understood this mentality. I don't like the Star Wars Disney Sequel Trilogy but it hasn't affected my love for the original series or what happens in the Thrawn Trilogy. Seriously I don't get this mindset "It ruined something I love" though I have no doubt that this reaction will happen on some level (I even stated as much) what fan has so little to do that they must dedicate so much time and energy to insulting a reboot or fans?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

clearspira wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:01 am I just can't wait for it to change something massive that pisses the reboot fans off, and I get to sit here and say ''that's what it feels like to have a cartoon you love get destroyed.''
Fun fact: you can still watch all the cartoons you love on DVD! :) Or if you don't have the DVDs, there are many streaming options available, and shady quasi-legal sites like KimCartoon. :) It's okay :)
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:06 am
Fun fact: you can still watch all the cartoons you love on DVD! :) Or if you don't have the DVDs, there are many streaming options available, and shady quasi-legal sites like KimCartoon. :) It's okay :)
Hell, you can get them on YouTube with the pilot moving being free to watch. Still the opinions of others matter and we should consider all them. Speaking of which, what do you think about the She-Ra Reboot and Adora's redesign Co-Creator of original series J. Michael Straczynski?

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/ ... 4996400128

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/ ... 0158607360
Gridlock1987
Redshirt

Post by Gridlock1987 »

I'm glad that I grew up with Transformers, a franchise that rebooted and changed everything A LOT since it debuted in the 80s. I guess that's what made me immune to They Changed It, Now It Sucks! trope.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I can't think of any live action adaptation of an animated show that was good. Even the original live action Turtles movie doesn't really hold up. As much as I loved the show, can't get any real enthusiasm going.

There's a major character who uses her hair as an extra set of limbs for Pete's sake. They'd never pull that off in live action on a TV budget.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:03 pm I can't think of any live action adaptation of an animated show that was good. Even the original live action Turtles movie doesn't really hold up. As much as I loved the show, can't get any real enthusiasm going.

There's a major character who uses her hair as an extra set of limbs for Pete's sake. They'd never pull that off in live action on a TV budget.
I'm honestly more interested in the upcoming Live-action show because I want to see how the show will change in terms of lore.

To look at TMNT their lore has changed significantly over the years with each new iteration adding or changing something to the mythos of the series. If I'm remembering correctly the first animated series was the first to give each turtle their own unique personality and made April a reporter, the first film is the one that made Raph a brooding jerk and gave each one of the turtles their own unique look.

I can't say that the live action She-Ra will be any good or not but I do wonder what it will look like, if the lore of the reboot will stick, if Catra and Adora will still be each others romantic interest or even if it's something minor.

Though I do think that a live-action series isn't going to work as well as it could because of how engraved animation is in this series. We have talking animals, people completely changing their physical appearance due to a magic sword, magic is always used in just about every scene and yes, there's a character who uses her hair as extra limbs. No TV Show, no matter how big it's budget is or how well it's written is going to be able to be a 100% recreation of the original.

Again, I'm more interested in it to see how much of the both the original and the reboot is included.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Now one thing that the show did that live action could do but almost never does is that there's a variety of body types represented. That would be nice to carry forward. I'm sure it's way easier to find an actress built like a linebacker to play Scorpia than it is to have a major character be a talking flying horse.

From what I can see there's nobody actually creative involved yet, New Line and Amazon were just vaguely considering it. So who knows.

Fingers crossed!
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:27 pmI'm sure it's way easier to find an actress built like a linebacker to play Scorpia than it is to have a major character be a talking flying horse.
You think so? You don't think any of the clopping furries would happily jump for that chance?
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox