Epic Mickey: Disney's Biggest Missed Opportunity

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Epic Mickey: Disney's Biggest Missed Opportunity

Post by Winter »

So, Epic Mickey is getting a Remaster.

youtu.be/UrPQ6L1nXlM

While I'm happy to see this I couldn't help but come to a realization while watching this trailer. Why didn't Disney just adapt this in a movie for their 100th Anniversary? I know that sounds odd especially given the track record or Video Game Movies but the more I think about this the more I realize that this is the biggest missed opportunity in Disney's run.

Did you know that Mickey Mouse has only ever been in 2 Theatrically Released Feature Length films (Fantasia and Who Framed Roger Rabbit) and he wasn't even the focus of either of them. 100 years and the mouse that started it all has never been the main character in a Feature Length Film and if Mickey can be the star of a 10 hour game he surely can be the start of a 1 hour and 30 minute film that is released on the big screen.

I heard that Once Upon a Studio was original going to be a feature length film but got cut down to a short film because the studio thought Wish would be a better choice for the film. Ignoring what Wish became or what it could have been I argue that the studio should have stuck to the idea of making a movie with Mickey as the main character and should have told a story what we have in Epic Mickey.

Sure the game's story has it's flaws but I honestly think it's the best overall candidate for a Anniversary Special for a company that's been around for 100 years.