Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

Post by TGLS »

I guess it just goes to show you: if you want some more good Star Trek, first you must wade through some more bad Star Trek.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

TGLS wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:26 pm I guess it just goes to show you: if you want some more good Star Trek, first you must wade through some more bad Star Trek.
I'm not willing to do so. I just do not connect to an audience that somehow thinks that the Enterprise D moving like the Millenium Falcon through the Death Star is a good thing. I'm sorry. You want awesome Trek-battles? Sacrifice of Angels. End of story. I do accept Nemesis' spaceship combat as a close second place though.

P.S.: Sorry for being even grumpier than usual. Didn't get much sleep this week.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:41 pm
TGLS wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:26 pm I guess it just goes to show you: if you want some more good Star Trek, first you must wade through some more bad Star Trek.
I'm not willing to do so. I just do not connect to an audience that somehow thinks that the Enterprise D moving like the Millenium Falcon through the Death Star is a good thing. I'm sorry. You want awesome Trek-battles? Sacrifice of Angels. End of story. I do accept Nemesis' spaceship combat as a close second place though.

P.S.: Sorry for being even grumpier than usual. Didn't get much sleep this week.
I think one of the areas where CGI is inferior to practical models is getting across the concept of mass. If you go back and watch TWOK, you'll see that these ships slowly accelerate and slowly turn with huge arcs like the Titanic. These ships are not aerodynamic. They are tall and unbalanced and act like it. And they sound powerful. With roaring engines of a million horsepower required to shift these skyscraper sized pieces of machinery.

You don't get that now. The Galaxy class was never a dogfighter like the Defiant. It was a flying hotel with guns strapped to it built to spend years in deep space in luxury. And moreover, it was built at a time when one-on-one fights against other capital ships were the norm so it didn't need to be nimble. Fights were won by tanking the enemy whilst you fired your ten phasers at them.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:59 pm There wasn't anything built up in Season 1 in the first place. It was self-contained and everything ended where it started, except Data being dead (for no good reason) and Picard being a robot (for even less good reasons). Not exactly a great premise in the first place, especially since the later isn't picked up on in neither Season 2 or 3 and the former gets retconned into oblivion in Season 3. At best, those "setups" were mystery-box writing (which can go fuck itself).
* What happened to the Zhat Vash?
* What's Starfleet's reaction to the fact the Romulans caused Martian 9/11?
* Who are the Reapers that will destroy all life in the galaxy?
* What happened to all the Ex-Borg?
* What happened to Evil Romulan Dude that survived?
* What happened to Data's colony?

And so on and so on and so on.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:44 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:59 pm There wasn't anything built up in Season 1 in the first place. It was self-contained and everything ended where it started, except Data being dead (for no good reason) and Picard being a robot (for even less good reasons). Not exactly a great premise in the first place, especially since the later isn't picked up on in neither Season 2 or 3 and the former gets retconned into oblivion in Season 3. At best, those "setups" were mystery-box writing (which can go fuck itself).
* What happened to the Zhat Vash?
* What's Starfleet's reaction to the fact the Romulans caused Martian 9/11?
* Who are the Reapers that will destroy all life in the galaxy?
* What happened to all the Ex-Borg?
* What happened to Evil Romulan Dude that survived?
* What happened to Data's colony?

And so on and so on and so on.
1. They all died when they all looked at a Sonic EXE creepypasta. That is pretty much how they tend to die, really.
2. 'Dang, don't do that again.' 'Kay.'
3. They all blew up when Q saw them and realized they were gonna threaten his chances of being annoying and deeply out of character in Season 2.
4. They all blew up when Season 2 happened.
5. He blew up.
6. They blew up.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Were there any ex-borg but Picard and Seven left at the end of season 1? The show seemed dead set on killing every single one in the franchise.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:19 am Were there any ex-borg but Picard and Seven left at the end of season 1? The show seemed dead set on killing every single one in the franchise.
Apparently a shit ton of them now live on Data's World.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Alright I've been wanting to rewatch Discovery and I'm gon start now.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

clearspira wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:33 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:41 pm

I think one of the areas where CGI is inferior to practical models is getting across the concept of mass. If you go back and watch TWOK, you'll see that these ships slowly accelerate and slowly turn with huge arcs like the Titanic. These ships are not aerodynamic. They are tall and unbalanced and act like it. And they sound powerful. With roaring engines of a million horsepower required to shift these skyscraper sized pieces of machinery.

You don't get that now. The Galaxy class was never a dogfighter like the Defiant. It was a flying hotel with guns strapped to it built to spend years in deep space in luxury. And moreover, it was built at a time when one-on-one fights against other capital ships were the norm so it didn't need to be nimble. Fights were won by tanking the enemy whilst you fired your ten phasers at them.
I think there are two reasons. CGI models have the same struggle as models do when it comes the size of the model. Physical models look far better the bigger they are. Bigger they are though the more difficult they are to film which does give it that sort of slow lumbering appeal you would think for a ship it's size. CGI models don't have that limitation of how to present a ship that physical models do.

However CGI models do that advantage of bigger the CGI model, the more detail you can put on it. The bigger it looks. The disadvantage that physical models don't have is that how long it takes to render a scene. Bigger CGI model, more detail, longer it takes. TV shows will struggle with big CGI models especially for up close shots.

I can't speak for what it costs to build a physical model and filming it for a weekly show versus building a CGI model and making the scenes. But as we all know, Star Trek did use a lot of stock footage to save time. Whereas now they make nearly all of the starship scenes from scratch each time. Higher standard expected now versus back then perhaps?

Yeah definitely did not like the Enterprise-D flying around like it's the Millennium Falcon. IMO I didnt like that brought back the Enterprise-D, implied Enterprise-E was destroyed, destroyed the only appearences of the Enterprise-F and then gave renamed the Titan into the Enterprise-G. Just sloppy as hell.
I got nothing to say here.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:44 am Alright I've been wanting to rewatch Discovery and I'm gon start now.
I'm honestly interested in your thoughts.