Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
TGLS
Captain

Re: Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

Post by TGLS »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:41 pm
TGLS wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:26 pm I guess it just goes to show you: if you want some more good Star Trek, first you must wade through some more bad Star Trek.
I'm not willing to do so. I just do not connect to an audience that somehow thinks that the Enterprise D moving like the Millenium Falcon through the Death Star is a good thing.
I was more talking along the lines of:
-> Seasons 1-2 of TNG followed by Seasons 3+ TNG
-> Discovery and Picard followed by SNW and Lower Decks
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Picard season 3 was pretty well received.
Power laces... alright.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I can't for the life of me see why. I liked seasons 1 and 2 better.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

I can see liking Season 1 better, it had more of an identity, but I have to admit I do noooooot see it with season 2. Picard season 2 is down there with TNG season 1 for me, albeit only one of them has Code of Honor so it’s kinda the forever worst season of Trek.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

CmdrKing wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:32 pm I can see liking Season 1 better, it had more of an identity, but I have to admit I do noooooot see it with season 2. Picard season 2 is down there with TNG season 1 for me, albeit only one of them has Code of Honor so it’s kinda the forever worst season of Trek.
Code of Honor is easily one of the worst episodes of all Trek Time. Season 1 TNG has like, 4 episodes almost as bad as that.

But I still prefer it to season 2 Picard. Season 1 TNG is a really bad Trek show. Season 2 Picard isn't even a Trek show.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Season Two is weird.

Because, understand this, I LOVE GOOFY. I love ridiculous stupid Trek like gangster planet, Star Trek IV, and Lower Decks. The idea of a bunch of 24th century folk trapped in the 21st century should be my jam. I loved when VOY did it. I fucking WRITE goofy sci-fi for a living.

And the comedy just.keeps.failing.

It is so painfully UNFUNNY, uninteresting, and BORING in addition to being stupid.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

That's because season 2 wasn't comedy. It was MISERY incarnate, of how awful everything is and how it sucks and you should feel bad 24/7. But don't worry, one day, some lady will find the cure to sad things on another planet and we'll be happy till we NUKE OURSELVES!
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nobody700 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:54 pm That's because season 2 wasn't comedy. It was MISERY incarnate, of how awful everything is and how it sucks and you should feel bad 24/7. But don't worry, one day, some lady will find the cure to sad things on another planet and we'll be happy till we NUKE OURSELVES!
I didn't get any of that, especially with Rios talking about how awesome the 20th century is, funny driving, and singing Pat Benetar.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Season 2 is pointless. Was there anything from that season that carried over into season 3? At least some stuff from season 1 carried over to season 3, even if they pretty much retconned or ignored Data's wish to die. And then now we got Data again but now more human. Data 2.0?

As a whole Picard is only borderline better than Discovery and even worse than Discovery in some respects. With these two shows I am convinced that we were probably better off not having them, then having them.

I do like season 3 of Picard better than season 2 and on par with season 1. Fan service is over the top, but like I said I am a Worf fanboy and Worf's story arc was good to me.
I got nothing to say here.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm no fan of Discovery, but
1. It gave us Tilly and I love Tilly, and
2. It ushered in the era of Nu Trek, so without Disco we wouldn't have Lower Decks, and Lower Decks is one of my prime reasons to live.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville