Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

Post by CharlesPhipps »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E07tr3f ... AiEV1BUCaq

Jessie Gender is one of my favorite geek media/political Youtube commentators. I don't always agree with her conclusions and thinks she reaches quite a bit to reach some of her conclusions but generally enjoy her reviews of just about all of Nu Trek as well as other works. She's also honest in a way I trust more than other commentaries because when she hates a show, like Rings of Power, she'll say she HATES a show.

Interestingly, she's been doing a review of DISCO episode by episode in preparation for the final season of Discovery. I think we're all in agreement that Disco is now kind of the odd man out of the Nu Trek era as while you may have your issues with Picard, everyone likes Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks (first two episodes aside) that the Nu Trek era is "accepted" as Star Trek now. Disco is still controversial, though, and now sits there with ENT for a lot of people or even lower.

Her review is giving me an interesting perspective on things, though. There's the speculation the BATTLE OF THE BINARY STARS pilot movie was actually made after the first half of the series and that originally we would have gotten it in flashbacks or just started with Burnham as "Mysterious Mutineer and Prisoner" which would have been SO MUCH BETTER. However, I do think it remains the best thing DISCO ever did as well and is a shame because T'Kuvma is a character who deserved better.

A lot of her reviews so far focus on the normalization of fascism in the series and how Lorca represents old style militaristic and controlling versus Burnham learning to resist that. It's not 100% accurate I think but I do think it holds up pretty well in many places with what we later find out about everyone.

I do totally disagree with her, though, about her thinking Tilly choosing NOT to be a Captain was a good then when I think that was a much better arc for BURNHAM. Tilly should totally be a Captain.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Jessie Gender's re-watch of ST: DISCO

Post by clearspira »

I hate Tilly. ''Look how awkward I am! Aren't I ENDEARING???''

No. You weren't. Her becoming captain of anything much less a starship is one of the most unbelievable ideas that I have ever heard. I think her middle name might even be ''Wesley Neelix Crusher the Second'' but I cannot confirm that.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Tilly, of course, is my favorite and I'd watch the hell out of Tilly as the star of a Lower Decks style show.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:56 am Tilly, of course, is my favorite and I'd watch the hell out of Tilly as the star of a Lower Decks style show.
Which is where such a character belongs. The chicken soup vending machine woman.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

I'm subbed to her on YouTube and Nebula and I didn't know about this second channel.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:55 am Jessie Gender is one of my favorite geek media/political Youtube commentators.
I've tried her a few times, most recently with her live action Avatar that Sarcastic Chorus highly reccomended in his own good video on it, but I bounce off every time. Marisha Ray's short videos on instagram that he also featured a clip I also checked out and liked a lot better.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:18 am I'm subbed to her on YouTube and Nebula and I didn't know about this second channel.
Yes, there's Jessie Gender and Jessie gender after Dark which does episode reviews.

I don't know why they're split up.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

YouTube Algorithm is evil.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:56 am Tilly, of course, is my favorite and I'd watch the hell out of Tilly as the star of a Lower Decks style show.
I have soft spot for Tilly. Mainly because I have a thing for redheads. But I do agree with clearspira that she is annoying.

Honestly Saru is my favorite.
I got nothing to say here.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

About Jessie Gender. I have seen her videos pop up every now and again on YouTube but haven't sat down listened/watched any of them yet. I haven't even listened/watched any of Chuck's reviews of Disco due to I don't like having five ads pop up in a 12 minute video. He hasn't shifted them to YouTube where I pay money not to see ads. Money well spent BTW.
I got nothing to say here.