Harry Kim promotion theory

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

Re: Harry Kim promotion theory

Post by McAvoy »

TGLS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:10 am
McAvoy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:56 pm If it's anything like real world US Navy, going from Ensign to Lieutenant Junior Grade is two years and it is automatic.
Well OK, but it isn't. The US Navy has Up or Out. Starfleet has 64 year old Lt. JGs (see Tapestry).
Yes. It's obvious that Starfleet has some promotion based solely on merit system where the lower ranks is included. Also Starfleet seems to allow no high year tenure for lower ranking officers either. Deadweight as it would be called. Driftwood just floating around aimlessly doing nothing.

We also have a very top heavy crew in Trek. 99% of the crew we see are officers. Typically officers are outnumbered as high as ten to one. Seems to be the other way around. The enlisted are usually the ones that do the work. As in manning stations like consoles and doing the dirty work like repairs. Not officers.

The saying goes: Takes a college degree to break it, a high school diploma to fix it.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

It seemed like they had a system where everyone was an officer and nobody was enlisted at all... right up until the TNG episode Family where Worf's dad made a "don't sir me I work for a living" joke. I'm not positive on whether O'Brien had already been changed from a lieutenant to the token enlisted guy before that, though.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:20 am It seemed like they had a system where everyone was an officer and nobody was enlisted at all... right up until the TNG episode Family where Worf's dad made a "don't sir me I work for a living" joke. I'm not positive on whether O'Brien had already been changed from a lieutenant to the token enlisted guy before that, though.
For a fan base that's as nitpicky and focused on small details like Trek fans I am actually surprised no one has actually counted or paid attention to scenes in Trek, or at least let's say TNG, who is an officer and who is not. Especially with Blu-ray or HD episodes out where you should be able to make out the pips on the collar.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:37 am
hammerofglass wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:20 am It seemed like they had a system where everyone was an officer and nobody was enlisted at all... right up until the TNG episode Family where Worf's dad made a "don't sir me I work for a living" joke. I'm not positive on whether O'Brien had already been changed from a lieutenant to the token enlisted guy before that, though.
For a fan base that's as nitpicky and focused on small details like Trek fans I am actually surprised no one has actually counted or paid attention to scenes in Trek, or at least let's say TNG, who is an officer and who is not. Especially with Blu-ray or HD episodes out where you should be able to make out the pips on the collar.
Have fun with that because I don't want to.

Actually I looked and Memory Alpha did make an attempt. The costuming wasn't consistent enough for it to work. Even O'Brien still had two pips for a while after he was established as an NCO.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:53 am
McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:37 am
Have fun with that because I don't want to.

Actually I looked and Memory Alpha did make an attempt. The costuming wasn't consistent enough for it to work. Even O'Brien still had two pips for a while after he was established as an NCO.
Oh I am not doing that. That would involve 176 episodes of combing through that I just don't want to do.