What's Your Favorite Stories With Solar Eclipses?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

What's Your Favorite Stories With Solar Eclipses?

Post by Winter »

As there is an eclipses happening right now I figured, eh let's try this silly question. What movie, show, game, comic or novel that includes a Solar Eclipses that is your favorite? Personally I have a soft spot for Pitch Black just for how over the top it is. Like it's not enough to have a single Sun covered so let's cover up three for as long as the plot demands even though it makes no sense if you have even the slightest understanding of how Eclipses work.

However, my favorite has to go to Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers Green with Evil, Part 4: Eclipsing Megazord. I just love how the scene is handled and how the music gets darker as the heroes begin losing the battle and the buildup to the defeat of the Megazord as for the first time we see the heroes fight three villains at once. Sure the Megazord being powered by the sun comes out of nowhere but the scene is so good I'm willing to overlook it.
CmdrKing
Captain

Re: What's Your Favorite Stories With Solar Eclipses?

Post by CmdrKing »

Honestly the only story where I can really remember an eclipse being important is Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, which is a good ass video game but the eclipse is more of an inciting incident than something that has an ongoing effect on the story.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Castlevania Nocturne has one, although I think Aria of Sorrow might be the story it took that from.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Since Pitch Black was already mentioned, I'll go with: Apocalypto.

Also, I vaguely recall one playing a role in "Mysterious Cities of Gold", but I can't find that happening in any synopsis. Not quite sure if and if so, what I am confusing it with.

P.S.: Thanks for reminding me of Pitch Black, I now can't get the soundtrack of that movie out of my head 😋
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Madner Kami wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:38 pm Since Pitch Black was already mentioned, I'll go with: Apocalypto.

Also, I vaguely recall one playing a role in "Mysterious Cities of Gold", but I can't find that happening in any synopsis. Not quite sure if and if so, what I am confusing it with.

P.S.: Thanks for reminding me of Pitch Black, I now can't get the soundtrack of that movie out of my head 😋
My favorite moment is the Fire Party Trick Scene, GOD that moment is amazing!
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Sailor Moon. I yiffing LOVE the scene where the Dead Moon Circus is introduced, and it frustrtes me to know end that I can't find a clip of it on youtube.

The Strain is also good, but it loses points for the Divorced Dad Redemption Subplot.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Eclipses damage your eyes in a way that regular sunlight doesn't. It's something to do with the darkness making your pupils expand instead of contract, I think.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:59 am Eclipses damage your eyes in a way that regular sunlight doesn't.
No.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:59 am It's something to do with the darkness making your pupils expand instead of contract, I think.
What darkness? You're looking at the brightest natural light source there is. Your pupils will contract no matter what the light conditions are outside your direct view. The sun may be largely blocked out, but not completely and even then, only for a moment. Just slightly before the totality and slightly after, you are still going to look directly into the sun. This is bad.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I don't recall one but Heroes had an eclipse. Been awhile since I saw season 1, so I don't recall how that was used in that season.
I got nothing to say here.