Silly Question Time: Should Silk Have Long or Short Hair in the Insomniac Games

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Silly Question Time: Should Silk Have Long or Short Hair in the Insomniac Games

Post by Winter »

Was just going over the leaked concept art for the now cancelled game Spider-Man: The Great Web and I couldn't help but notice that the concept art for Cindy Moon is notably longer then what we see of her in the second-post credits scene in Spider-Man 2.

As of right now I'm currently re-reading the Silk comics which is where Cindy cut her hair to begin with. From what I understand it was to help show the character would being undergoing a great deal of changes and her getting shorter hair was to help emphasize that idea. Cindy would eventually grow her hair out again and as is such things fans argue over which looks better, short hair Cindy or long hair Cindy and since I have nothing better to do and Cindy is going to be in the next couple of Spider-Man games by Insomniac what the hell, might as well see what you all think about this REALLY Trivial point.

Should Silk have long or shot hair when she is made playable in future Insomniac games?

From a technical point giving her short hair would be easier for animation purposes while long hair would acquire a lot more work. Remember Cindy is going to be swinging around New York alongside Peter and Miles meaning they have to make said hair move naturally as she swings through the City. That's not even getting into combat or cutscenes and while we've come a long way animating hair to move naturally honestly we still have a long way to go.

Just as an example look at the Tomb Raider games from the Survivor Continuity, Lara's hair does move a lot there... a little TO Much to be honest. I mean it does look good but it's also really distracting as it's always moving. I've never seen hair move THIS MUCH on anyone so it goes right into Uncanny Valley.

Now to address the aesthetic angle, I personally think Cindy looks better with Long hair. Don't get me wrong she looks good with short hair but I think Long hair just looks better on her. However, this one is more determined on her character model in the games which might look better with short hair rather then long hair. Some people look amazing with long hair while others just can't pull it off but look fantastic with short hair.

And that's it, of all the silly questions I've asked this the silliest but I do wonder what you all think.
Nealithi
Captain

Re: Silly Question Time: Should Silk Have Long or Short Hair in the Insomniac Games

Post by Nealithi »

I suppose it depends. Will this game have multiple costumes for the characters? If so then the answer is both.
If she has a story arc, then perhaps three styles. Long, she cuts it, mid as it is growing back in her arc.
Winter
Captain

Re: Silly Question Time: Should Silk Have Long or Short Hair in the Insomniac Games

Post by Winter »

Nealithi wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:03 am I suppose it depends. Will this game have multiple costumes for the characters? If so then the answer is both.
If she has a story arc, then perhaps three styles. Long, she cuts it, mid as it is growing back in her arc.
Do you mean taking place over mutliple games or a single game? Like her hair gets long in the DLCs but she cuts it short in her solo adventure and mid in SM3?
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Winter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:47 am
Nealithi wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:03 am I suppose it depends. Will this game have multiple costumes for the characters? If so then the answer is both.
Do you mean taking place over mutliple games or a single game? Like her hair gets long in the DLCs but she cuts it short in her solo adventure and mid in SM3?
One or multiple games would depend on how much of her story arc they do. If they only do a piece of the arc per game then multiple games would be appropriate. If they do her arc in a single game then through that game.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Nealithi wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:52 pm
Winter wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:47 am
One or multiple games would depend on how much of her story arc they do. If they only do a piece of the arc per game then multiple games would be appropriate. If they do her arc in a single game then through that game.
Well, one thing to keep in mind is, so far, the story of the main game usually only takes place over the course of a week or two. My hair grows out pretty damn fast but even I need about 3 or 4 months for it to get really long and for others it can take about a year.

So if Cindy is to cut and then grow out her hair I think that would been done over the course of several games/DLCs.