Lower Decks to end in Season 5

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CmdrKing
Captain

Lower Decks to end in Season 5

Post by CmdrKing »

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/star-t ... 235969332/

Also SNW renewed for season 4 but… Lower Decks is ending?! Boooooooooooooooo

It is so strange to me that this now makes 3 new trek shows that have been shorter runs than TOS. It made sense for Picard, that should always have been a limited run, but LD could have gone the distance know?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Lower Decks to end in Season 5

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I have to admit, I was really hoping for seven seasons of Lower Decks. This is gonna be a big blow. NGL, this show was pretty high on my "reasons to live" list.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

CmdrKing wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:27 pm https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/star-t ... 235969332/

It is so strange to me that this now makes 3 new trek shows that have been shorter runs than TOS. It made sense for Picard, that should always have been a limited run, but LD could have gone the distance know?
Which ones were shorter then TOS? Discovery and LD had Five seasons.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Lower Decks had five seasons...of ten episodes...23 minutes each.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

sayla0079 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:50 am
CmdrKing wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:27 pm https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/star-t ... 235969332/

Which ones were shorter then TOS? Discovery and LD had Five seasons.
Ten episodes per season is only 50 episodes for the series run. Which is far shorter than TOS had and half that of Enterprise.
I got nothing to say here.
sayla0079
Captain

Post by sayla0079 »

oh I thought you meant seasons wise my mistake.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Yeah to be clear I'm going by episode count, not seasons/years on air. And no Trek since Enterprise has surpassed TOS' 79 episodes. Discovery's final season is shortened, but even if it had been 13 like the prior two it'd still only land a 68, and LD will only end with 50 unless it's final season gets extras (I can't imagine it would).

It's just a wild that like... historically TOS is considered to have had a pretty short run relative to its cultural impact, but meanwhile nothing made in the past ~20 years can even touch it.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

CmdrKing wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:36 am Yeah to be clear I'm going by episode count, not seasons/years on air. And no Trek since Enterprise has surpassed TOS' 79 episodes. Discovery's final season is shortened, but even if it had been 13 like the prior two it'd still only land a 68, and LD will only end with 50 unless it's final season gets extras (I can't imagine it would).

It's just a wild that like... historically TOS is considered to have had a pretty short run relative to its cultural impact, but meanwhile nothing made in the past ~20 years can even touch it.
It is how shows like Trek is made now. Only sitcoms are made with 20+ episodes or relatively cheap shows like Supernatural.

Even average running time for show with commercials is going down. Take for example in TNG, average episode was 45-46 minutes long. Now, you are averaging around 40-42 and that takes into account that opening titles for the show is now down to like five or ten seconds. Whereas TNG was about 2 minutes long.

Season length has been dwindling too. Used to be about 24-26 episodes per season. Then it was 22, then 20. Now, 8-10 episodes is the standard now. And it takes longer to make them.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

That's just the style that tv shows are being mase these days; higher production value, shorter seasons.

5 seasons is a perfectly respectible run for any show. Much better to go out on a high note, than to drag on years past it's prime.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

J!! wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:26 am That's just the style that tv shows are being mase these days; higher production value, shorter seasons.

5 seasons is a perfectly respectible run for any show. Much better to go out on a high note, than to drag on years past it's prime.
Yes five seasons is respectable in any time frame. I am just curious on how expensive it is or time consuming it is to make a Lower Deck episode. It's entirely done on the computer and it's a basic animation style.

Invincible is the same way and with them they have a storyline to follow.

Dragon Ball for example was famous for adding filler scenes, episodes and an every story arc so the Manga can catch up.