Fallout: The Series

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Fallout: The Series

Post by Madner Kami »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:59 pm My issue in the context of what I do know about the games is that it kinda downplays what was evil about the NCR to now just present it's end as some great tragedy.
The games most certainly are not doing that. Dunno where you get that impression from. If anything, New Vegas in particular is very critical of the NCR.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:59 pm My issue in the context of what I do know about the games is that it kinda downplays what was evil about the NCR to now just present it's end as some great tragedy.
It feels like I'm in a parallel reality where all the fandom sided with NCR when I'm like, "Independent Mojave Forever."

Of course there was a full smear campaign about NCR being wiped out when literally the last battle in the show is the BOS vs. their soldiers.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:28 pm
The games most certainly are not doing that. Dunno where you get that impression from. If anything, New Vegas in particular is very critical of the NCR.
I think you misunderstood me, I was saying the show is downplaying it not the Games.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Except Todd Howard (That hack), says the show is canon.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Honestly if they want to constantly hit the reset button so that the wasteland never organizes and stops being a lawless wasteland after hundreds of years in defiance of human nature then having villains deliberately do it on purpose is a pretty cool idea.

Having it happen five minutes after the game is still a dick move, though.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

hammerofglass wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:40 am Honestly if they want to constantly hit the reset button so that the wasteland never organizes and stops being a lawless wasteland after hundreds of years in defiance of human nature then having villains deliberately do it on purpose is a pretty cool idea.

Scientifically, if there ever was a nuclear war, there would simply not be the resources to rebuild human infrastructure on Earth and we'd never ever return to anything resembling a Pre-War society but be perpetually trapped in a Medieval to possibly steam age. That's not incorporating the fact giant murder monsters straight out of Dungeons and Dragons are now everywhere.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:47 am
hammerofglass wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:40 am Honestly if they want to constantly hit the reset button so that the wasteland never organizes and stops being a lawless wasteland after hundreds of years in defiance of human nature then having villains deliberately do it on purpose is a pretty cool idea.

Scientifically, if there ever was a nuclear war, there would simply not be the resources to rebuild human infrastructure on Earth and we'd never ever return to anything resembling a Pre-War society but be perpetually trapped in a Medieval to possibly steam age. That's not incorporating the fact giant murder monsters straight out of Dungeons and Dragons are now everywhere.
You don't need modern technology to have a functioning society. People do it instinctively. It's living isolated from each other in little atomized existances that you need modern support systems to do and survive.

That's one thing I think Mad Max did better; even the bandit gangs had moved on to building petty kingdoms within a few years of the bombs dropping.

Although in the Fallout series the freaking power grid isn't even down, so infastructure might not be that much of a problem.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 pm
I think you misunderstood me, I was saying the show is downplaying it not the Games.
I did. My apologies.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Madner Kami wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:33 am
MithrandirOlorin wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:07 pm
I did. My apologies.
No Problem.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:47 am

If it's possible to survive at all, in enough numbers that there are still people around after two hundred years, then societies will start to form again. Small, warring ones, maybe, but still some form of society. Quite what it would look like is hard to say, there's obviously technology and knowledge around that wasn't available in a medieval or even Victorian times but basic raw resources would be considerably harder to get hold of - for example, most easily-accessible mineral resources have already been mined, although against that there's plenty of scrap to reprocess.

The apparent desire to trash that is something that did irritate me a little about the series, although only as a minor point, overall I thought it was pretty great.