Discussing Silk's Rogue's Gallery

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Discussing Silk's Rogue's Gallery

Post by Winter »

Tying into my previous post on Silk one thing I mentioned there is that as the series has worked to give Cindy more original adversaries instead of just browing existing ones from Peter's Rogue's Gallery most of what we've gotten have been fantasy based instead of sci-fi like most Spidy Villains. While Spider-Man and other Spider-Heroes have had antagonists who are fantasy based (Mephisto being one of the most notable) for the most part the villains set against Spider-Heroes are usually Sci-Fi related.

Just look at Peter's three most famous Nemeses, we rich scientist who used a super-solider serum to become super strong and uses advance tech for his weapons, we have another scientist who created robot arms that drove him mad and an alien parasite that makes people super strong and can jump incredible distances. Sure many if not most of these villains are more soft sci-fi and borderline magic but the fact remains that many of Peter's and other Spider-Heroes tend to go up against villains who are usually a result of science gone wrong.

The reason for this is Peter and other Spider-Heroes are a result of Science gone wrong but choose to use their powers to do good instead of misusing that power like their enemies do. As such it's interesting that Silk seems to be the odd one out with most of her adversaries being ancient magic locked away that is soon freed and has to be stopped.

I'm honestly not against this as I think it helps Cindy stand out from other Spider-Heroes. Cindy herself is not magic based (she was in fact bitten by the Radioactive Spider that bit Peter) but so far most of her Rogue's Gallery is leaning in that direction. As of right now the only villain Silk has gone up against who isn't magic based was Dragonclaw... who wears a suit that makes him look like a Gargoyle...

Not unusual for a Spider-Hero after all Green Goblin is dressed like, well, a Goblin but still it's a little funny.

Anyways I just find it interesting how Marvel seems to be giving a character from a usually Sci-Fi based series adversaries that use magic. I honestly wonder if there will be a retcon to Cindy's Origin to have her be bitten by a Magical Spider instead of a Radioactive Spider or a Genetically Altered Spider to help further distinguish her for other members of the Spider-Family. Unlikely but it's an interesting thought at least.