Silly Ideas of Mine: Giving Kryptonians Accents

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Silly Ideas of Mine: Giving Kryptonians Accents

Post by Winter »

An idea that's been in my head for a few years now is my own take on a DC Animated Series in a Shared Universe. It would a part sequel part reboot to both the DC Animated Universe and the Teen Titans Animated Series with the series sharing many events of both series as a sort of background but with several minor and major differences. Just as an example Wonder Woman has been active since World War 1 instead of entering the world of man and the final battle with Apokolips took place over the course of 3 or 5 years and was a galactic war that saw Darkseid team up with Brainiac and Mongul only for Trigon to enter the picture and attack the villains just as much as the heroes.

I've worked to keep the spirit of DC while also working to explore darker themes while focusing on the optimums that makes DC so enduring. However, as this is in the end a new continuity I wanted to change a few things that either bug me or just to deal with a few minor issues I have. For example there is no New York, Metropolis is where New York normally is, Gotham replaces Chicago and Bludhaven is located where Detroit usually is. Washington is still there but for the most part fictional cities replace real cities. History is similar with ours up to a point but after that point it all changes.

But one minor change that I want to include is a silly little one which is to give Kryptonians Accents. Namely to give them Yiddish and Hebrew accents. This was actually my sisters idea as a way to tribute Superman's original creators, Joe Shuster and Jerry Siegel both of whom were Jewish and part of Superman's character is that he is an immigrant.

Now to clarify Clark wouldn't have this accent, I mean he was raised in Kansas after all, but what about other Kryptonians? Kara and Zod for example are not from Earth and as such shouldn't they have some kind of accent? That's where this idea of mine came from, that it didn't make sense to me for Kryptonians to talk with American Accents and should have some sort of other accent. It's just something that I would do if I ever managed to get this project made which I think would be rather interesting and a nice way to distinguish it from other DC Properties.

Thoughts?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Re: Silly Ideas of Mine: Giving Kryptonians Accents

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Actually I think in the comic infinity city for some reason, one of them spoke with a scottish accent for some reason.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:54 am Actually I think in the comic infinity city for some reason, one of them spoke with a scottish accent for some reason.
Some older dubbed anime series does this alot too. Just adding some bad blend of Irish/Scottish accent to some charscter I guess just to break it up.

Actually when it comes to Kryptonians I kinda feel that they should have if anything an upper class snobby accent you would associate with the Victorian era. Maybe even a bit Shakespearan too, but I think the Reeve Superman movies probably colored my view on that. But that is just me.
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Post by hammerofglass »

Just the thought of Zod saying "oy gevalt" brings me immense joy.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.