Are Seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Picard Now Considered Noodle Incidents?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Re: Are Seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Picard Now Considered Noodle Incidents?

Post by CharlesPhipps »

Nobody700 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:30 pm While I do not care for Discovery, I do consider everything but the Burn and Section 31 being publically known canon... mostly cause the Burn is too stupid for me to process and Section 31 is meant to be SECRET.

Picard... none of it.
Section 31 is no longer public at the end of DISCO 2 because it's been killed off and going underground.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:50 am
Nobody700 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:30 pm While I do not care for Discovery, I do consider everything but the Burn and Section 31 being publically known canon... mostly cause the Burn is too stupid for me to process and Section 31 is meant to be SECRET.

Picard... none of it.
Section 31 is no longer public at the end of DISCO 2 because it's been killed off and going underground.
I REFUSE to believe everyone was ordered to never talk about them. That is STUPID and just creates an elephant larger than the moon in how no one is allowed to TALK about the group EVERYONE IN STARFLEET KNEW EXISTING.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

If you are going to rip off Simpsons don't rip off the episode that most people believe is the end of the old era.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Ait6dS1B1ck?si=scvGFA1zj0U0Ai8K[/youtube]
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

My thing about Picard is how so much disconnected each season is from the other. There had to be a plan from the start knowing that Sir Patrick Stewart was only good for a few seasons. The man turned 80 in 2020.

With only ten episodes per season they could have done a nice three season arc with Picard. But it's just disconnected.

Q is now dead but now he isn't. Data is now dead but now he isn't. Borg is now different but now they are back. They kill of Hugh and Icheb for plot reasons. Seven is doing her thing as some ranger and now is Starfleet officer.

Let's introduce the Enterprise-D which one whole part of the ship is destroyed. But yay Geordi rebuilds the Enterprise-D with parts of another then flies around like it's trying to destroy the Death Star despite being 2100 feet long. Oh and our first time seeing Enterprise-F is her being destroyed, Enterprise-E was maybe Worf's fault. And now we got the Enterprise-G, renamed from the Titan. It's stupid.

You could make the argument that initially they did not want to make this a Season 8 of TNG at the beginning and not bring as many of the original cast for it and bad reception changed their minds. That I get.

I do think instead of the one hit wonder we got from season 1 of Picard that it should have been those parasites from Conspiracy of TNG season 1. Who better to not like artifical lifeforms that they cannot inhabit then a bunch of Datas or at least inferior versions of him? That they are the ones who did everything above Mars and made the Federation go anti-artificial beings that we saw in Picard? That them infiltrating Star fleet afterwards making them more isolationist then explorers weed their own doing.

Hell you make the Borg part of it. Make the Borg technology help in curing the infected or something. Though keeping Q involved is harder. I would like to have Q part of it (though not because he dying) would keep with a theme of closing down the 'Next Generation'.

Out of the two series, Discovery probably would be the hardest to fix without really redoing alot if not all of the show but Picard really had this potential. It just fell way way way short of a real final fare well to TNG, something that lacked in Nemesis.
I got nothing to say here.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:45 am My thing about Picard is how so much disconnected each season is from the other. There had to be a plan from the start knowing that Sir Patrick Stewart was only good for a few seasons. The man turned 80 in 2020.

With only ten episodes per season they could have done a nice three season arc with Picard. But it's just disconnected.

Q is now dead but now he isn't. Data is now dead but now he isn't. Borg is now different but now they are back. They kill of Hugh and Icheb for plot reasons. Seven is doing her thing as some ranger and now is Starfleet officer.

Let's introduce the Enterprise-D which one whole part of the ship is destroyed. But yay Geordi rebuilds the Enterprise-D with parts of another then flies around like it's trying to destroy the Death Star despite being 2100 feet long. Oh and our first time seeing Enterprise-F is her being destroyed, Enterprise-E was maybe Worf's fault. And now we got the Enterprise-G, renamed from the Titan. It's stupid.

You could make the argument that initially they did not want to make this a Season 8 of TNG at the beginning and not bring as many of the original cast for it and bad reception changed their minds. That I get.

I do think instead of the one hit wonder we got from season 1 of Picard that it should have been those parasites from Conspiracy of TNG season 1. Who better to not like artifical lifeforms that they cannot inhabit then a bunch of Datas or at least inferior versions of him? That they are the ones who did everything above Mars and made the Federation go anti-artificial beings that we saw in Picard? That them infiltrating Star fleet afterwards making them more isolationist then explorers weed their own doing.

Hell you make the Borg part of it. Make the Borg technology help in curing the infected or something. Though keeping Q involved is harder. I would like to have Q part of it (though not because he dying) would keep with a theme of closing down the 'Next Generation'.

Out of the two series, Discovery probably would be the hardest to fix without really redoing alot if not all of the show but Picard really had this potential. It just fell way way way short of a real final fare well to TNG, something that lacked in Nemesis.
Well, on that last note, this IS better finale to the TNG crew then Nemesis and as final season of Trek goes I think PS3 is one of the strongest. Just to compare it with TNG's 7th season All Good Things is a great finale, if not the best finale in Trek History but the season on the whole just isn't as strong as what came before. Like Chuck said S7 is the season the writers ran out of ideas.

But Picard's 3rd season is honestly great. Sure the final episode isn't as good as it could be but the strength of this season comes more from all the episodes working together to tell a complete story.

But what I find most interesting about this season is that, in many ways it's season 8, aka the TNG movies, calling a do over or working as sequel of sorts to those movies. Picard now has a son, directly calling back to his arc in both Generations and Insurrection. The Enterprise crew now is working against Star Fleet while dealing with remnants of the Dominion making this a take two of Insurrection. Picard must come to terms with having a son which could be seen as a second attempt of the Picard/Shinzon relationship from Nemesis. And this also works as a sequel to First Contact with Picard dealing with his oldest and most personal Nemesis one last time.

And I think the show executes these ideas rather well. Insurrection really dropped the ball in having the TNG crew be at odds with Star Fleet whereas in this season we see that idea taken full advantage of as the crew has to try to outwit their own Federation. And on top of that deal with the Dominion which was also a major factor in STI as the Son'a were supplying the Dominion during the war.

Honestly, I get where a lot of fans have issues with this season but I personally think it's one of Trek's best and a great return to form and I hope to see this supposed Legacy series made by the same people who made this season of Picard.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Picard's third season is fanfiction brought to life. It's just endless callbacks and "let's get the band back together" nonsense.