Are Seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Picard Now Considered Noodle Incidents?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

Are Seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Picard Now Considered Noodle Incidents?

Post by Winter »

By and large with both fans and casual viewers seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Picard are not well liked while season 3 of the show is pretty popular. The general consistence is that S3 is the only season worth watching and is really more of a season 9 for The Next Generation than anything else which is how it should be viewed and skipping seasons 1 and 2 will not really do much to impact S3.

However, that's not entirely true as there are a few key events from the first two seasons that tie into this season most notable among them, 7 of 9 being something of a space pirate, Data dying a second time after Nemesis and Picard dying and gaining a new synthetic body not to mention synthetics being band at one point only to become league again.

Now I do think that you don't need to watch the first two seasons of Picard to understand S3 but these events sound kinda weird especially when the show does not give full context to said events. But let's assume for a moment that S3 was the only season and was sold as TNG season 9 with these moments unaltered.

Well, now it's all kinda hilarious and there seem to have been some major moments up to and including Picard dying and getting a new Synthetic body only he's not young but is the same age as his actor. Data died a second time and everyone is just kinda okay with that and 7 was in a relationship with this new character Raffi but broke up at some point. So basically the first 2 seasons have become Noodle Incidents.

Not perfect though as NIs are mainly used for comedy and Picard's old body being taken is played as drama but still kinda funny when you don't know the full context. :lol:
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: Are Seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek: Picard Now Considered Noodle Incidents?

Post by hammerofglass »

Especially with all the actual noodle incidents they mention. Worf crashing the Enterprise E, Seven and Raffi breaking up with no explanation, that whole mission where Crusher got knocked up...
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

Hell they go out of their way to go 'yeah, those weren't the proper borg in s2, the legit ones are still out there' in s3.
Nobody700
Officer

Post by Nobody700 »

While I do not care for Discovery, I do consider everything but the Burn and Section 31 being publically known canon... mostly cause the Burn is too stupid for me to process and Section 31 is meant to be SECRET.

Picard... none of it.
Science Fiction is a genre where anything can happen. Just make sure what happens is enjoyable for yourself and your audience.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Season 3 was a bit of a redux considering the reception that season 2 got. The fact that they used the Borg again and did so in a revealing fashion was kind of dismissive of the tonal development from season 2. And I still liked it in spite of that when I first saw the reveal.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

What are noddles Incidents?
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:43 am What are noddles Incidents?
Some outrageous, baffling or otherwise outlandish thing which happened, but everyone agrees to not talk about in detail, because it's just too outrageous, baffling or outlandish.

Or as TVTropes puts it:
The Noodle Incident is something from the past that is referred to but never explained, with the implication that it's just too ludicrous for words—or perhaps too offensive for depiction—and the reality that any explanation would fall short of audience expectations. [...]

Commonly introduced to the audience by having characters react to some fantastic and improbable event with "Oh no, not again." The key to this trope is that the audience is left to imagine what happened based on vague hints or clues, with funny (or scary) (or both) results.

Named for an incident referenced by the characters of Calvin and Hobbes, where the author admitted he decided against ever stating what happened, as he figured nothing he could come up with would be as outrageous as what the readers thought happened.

[...]
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I have to admit that the tonal variety between all three seasons is pretty dynamic.
Power laces... alright.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:42 pm I have to admit that the tonal variety between all three seasons is pretty dynamic.
You misspelled dramatic.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Oh, I get it thank you.