TOS and TNG

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
McAvoy
Captain

TOS and TNG

Post by McAvoy »

TNG premiered 37 years ago and TOS premiered 58 year ago. Put this into perspective, 37th anniversary for TOS would have been 2003. It got me wondering why we don't put TNG in that sort of category that we all place TOS. Product of its time. Sure out of DS9 and VOY it really does date itself. The flat bright lighting of the bridge that no other Trek bridge really does. The costumes especially early seasons. Etc.

Is it just that much of a leap in sci-fi sophistication story telling that makes the difference? The special effects? Set design? Star Wars may have accelerated science fiction design and look. But what about story telling?

What do you think?
I got nothing to say here.
hammerofglass
Captain

Re: TOS and TNG

Post by hammerofglass »

TNG is a product of a time we lived through, TOS is not.
she/they 🏳️‍⚧️

...for space is wide, and good friends are too few.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

TNG, DS9, and VOY up to Nemesis really seem like the golden age of Trek.

Nemesis was 15 years after TNG first aired, and 2002 is a lot closer to now than 1987 is.
Power laces... alright.
stryke
Captain

Post by stryke »

What hammerofglass said but also because while there was a big break from ToS to TNG, DS9 started airing during TNG and Voy started during DS9 so they feel like one continuous thing. that was 80's/90's Trek.

Also personally I'd say that the golden age of Trek ended during s6 of Voyager. Yes there's a couple of decent eps in s7 but I'd still like to avoid including Unamatrix Zero or Nemesis in any sort of golden age.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Maybe, kinda, but I wasn't necessarily saying that the movies were the golden age, just those 3 shows.

Nemesis is more to the point that you're still very much in the TNG era.

Separate point, TOS was definitely more disjointed from its movie run. TMP came out like 10 years after TOS and the movies lasted until 1991. So Picard series to me definitely feels like Generations or something.
Power laces... alright.
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

hammerofglass wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:18 am TNG is a product of a time we lived through, TOS is not.
That is true. Though I wonder for some of us. I am 40 years old and I barely remember when TNG first aired.

I remember someone once stated that stuck with me those of us who grew up watching movies from the 90's and older that we are much more inclined to accept limited SFX than someone let's say who is a teenager now. Because we grew up with it.

So the scenes in TNg especially, where it really does look like a set at time we can ignore it. Or those 80's inspired fashions concepts of what the future would look like. I mean somewhere down the line, trying to make a futuristic hairstyle was given up in favor of making it simple. And gone is the shiny silver costumes.

I do think it's also a result of evolution of sci-fi story telling. TOS had some seriously dated storytelling.
I got nothing to say here.